Taylor Test Kit Help

Bought a Taylor test kit from amatoind.com.

Was going to test chlorine level but not sure how to proceed. On the Taylor box it says 1 drop = 2 PPM or 5 PPM or something along those lines (the kit is outside and it is really late). Well anyway in the directions for testing the chlorine it says to fill the tube according to how much 1 drop equals. 10 ml for 2 ppm and 25 ml for 5 ppm or something along those lines. Well anyways which do I use? The box sticker says 1 drop = 2 PPM or 5 PPM. Does not say specifically which one?

Does anybody know which to go by?

If you use a 25 ml water sample size, then each drop is 0.2 ppm (not 2 ppm) while if you use a 10 ml water sample size, then each drop is 0.5 ppm (not 5 ppm). So you can choose between greater accuracy but using more drops -- if your chlorine level is expected to be high, then using a 10 ml sample size is fine, but if you are doing something like accurately determining chlorine loss overnight, then a 25 ml sample size may be more appropriate. The instructions are in the kit, but you can also get a short copy here at the Taylor website.

• 2 months later...

Your test kit comes with a guide on it telling you the ranges of the chemicals. There will me a range for chlorine and bromide. I don't recall what those ranges are but they should be right on the test materials. You also test for ph levels. You test for alkilinity too.

You probabally just filled up the pool and it might have been okay as city water is treated.

Bromide is used in some pools especially those inside like hot tubs because of fumes from chlorine. In the sun chlorine works well. Shock is for when chemical levels are way too low and really off so it takes quite a bit of time to get it straightened out. You can't put in shock and kids very soon. Shock can be used when you first open a pool and water was left in from last year or when ignored.

If you filled pool today from city water I'd let kids in and treat it after. If you filled up a few days ago I'd treat and wait tim levels are right. Hotter it gets more chemicals may have to be used.

The first time put in the recommended amount for your size pool. M

It might be half a cup. It has to work it's way through the pump and filters and you test again. If you get too much you have to wait tim it levels out. Once you have it right, checking every day and adding small adjustments should keep it nicely. If you get chemicals com a pool store rsther than walmarts or just go to a pool store, they will know more about the water conditions. A hot tub store often carries chemicals you can ask them. Don't have to but there but you may find nest accessories there.

Sorry I don't know tom the figures you gave but your test materials is the best guide. Take your water samples tom about a couple ofbfeet down. Just extend your arm into the pool and then allow the water to enter the chambers. Put your finger over the holes until at a good depth. I hope kids are soon into pool.

Bought a Taylor test kit from amatoind.com.

Was going to test chlorine level but not sure how to proceed. On the Taylor box it says 1 drop = 2 PPM or 5 PPM or something along those lines (the kit is outside and it is really late). Well anyway in the directions for testing the chlorine it says to fill the tube according to how much 1 drop equals. 10 ml for 2 ppm and 25 ml for 5 ppm or something along those lines. Well anyways which do I use? The box sticker says 1 drop = 2 PPM or 5 PPM. Does not say specifically which one?

Does anybody know which to go by?

Yes!

RTFM!