Raypak Hl2 Code

My kids were using the hot tub and I went to my pool equipment and saw that my Raypak P-R406A heater was throwing the HL2 code. I turned it off and it started working again. About 15 minutes later the code appeared. Turned off the equipment for 10 seconds then turned back on and it worked fine. Any idea how to fix or exactly what the high level 2 code means??

Any help would be appreciated.

It is a "Hi limit" code. the heater has two "thermometers" that will open the safety circuit in the event that the water temp gets too hi in the header. Something is causing this, weather it be a defective hi limit switch (not common) or something like a by-pass sticking, or operating incorrectly. Possibly even an obstruction, or partially closed valve downstream of the heater. That would keep the pressure switch closed allowing the heater to continue to run. Does the heater run OK in pool mode?

It is a "Hi limit" code. the heater has two "thermometers" that will open the safety circuit in the event that the water temp gets too hi in the header. Something is causing this, weather it be a defective hi limit switch (not common) or something like a by-pass sticking, or operating incorrectly. Possibly even an obstruction, or partially closed valve downstream of the heater. That would keep the pressure switch closed allowing the heater to continue to run. Does the heater run OK in pool mode?

Yes it does. I got the code once before and a backwash fixed it.

If a backwash is the difference between firing and not firing, perhaps the filter needs to be disassembled and cleaned, weather it be a D.E., or cartridge. Sand is different, you may need to replace the sand, if your not getting the flow you used to.

• 2 weeks later...

I recently got a HL1 error code on my Raypak while it was in spa mode. I turned it off and briefly checked it in pool mode (no issues). when I briefly checked it later in spa mode it seemed to work OK. If I don't get the error code am I OK, or should I get it checked out? Someone told me I may need to get the In/Out headers checked? What is that?

If you do not have a separate pump for your jets, and the filter pump operates the jets, the water may not be flowing fast enough to keep the hi limits in an operating range. Possible dirty filter would add to the problem as well.