Hayward Pump Leak

cultcab

I have a Hayward Super II pump and it's developed a small leak. Is if safe to just replace the housing gasket and the diffuser gasket, or is one more suspicious than the other?

I replaced one (or both) of these gaskets on a different pump several years ago, but I don't remember encountering any difficulties with the replacement. Any things to look out for with the disassembly/assembly?

The pump model is a C48L2N134B3 (1.5 Hp), but I can't find it anywhere to the get the replacement gaskets. Does this go by a different model 3>

The model number you list is the model number for the AO Smith motor, not the Super II pump. 1.5hp Super II would be something similar to SP3015 OR SP3010X15AZ. You can find this model number and serial number on the pump housing on a small black label.

The model number you list is the model number for the AO Smith motor, not the Super II pump. 1.5hp Super II would be something similar to SP3015 OR SP3010X15AZ. You can find this model number and serial number on the pump housing on a small black label.

Thanks for all the help. I received the seal, diffuser gasket, and the housing gasket for the pump today. The gaskets were cheap, so even though they weren't suspect I figured it was best to replace them. Anything unique that I should be looking for when I replace these? I did one several years ago, and I don't remember any special steps except for priming the pump once I'm done.

if the o-ring has failed it will be obvious, a cut, a flat spot, something obvious. Your shaft seal, maybe not so obvious. a shaft seal... depending on what ps number... but genericly speaking is 1) the part in the back of the impeller, a rubber boot with a ceraminc white ring. 2) a casing with a spring and rubber flexible boot inside the spring with a ceramic head that buts up against the first part. I've seen the rubber part inside the spring split, and obvious obnoxious leak. I've also seen the ceramic chip or crack, which tends to leak less. If the front motor bearing is "whining" find some one that can replace it as this is a source of heat that can cause future failure, if it's not whining yet you are in luck, and there is a good chance your seal is unremarkable. use a lube or "silicone" between the new seal and seal plate (back side of "pump"). Install your impeller portion of the seal, then "press" the other portion of the seal into the seal plate using the impeller as it screws onto the shaft, you'll need vice grips to hold the backside of the shaft as it passes through the back side of the motor to do this properly. This is an art form and if you master it, the skills are priceless. Don't give up, and don't be afraid to take your pump to the pool store where someone should be willing to assist you. These parts were likely not "inexpensive" and buying them twice will upset you! Also you'll need to remove the seal plate from the front of the motor to remove the old seal. use the back side of a screw driver and gently hammer the old one out! CAUTION: Make certain that the seal plate fits flush against the front of the motor. this a good place for corrosion and build up, if it doesn't fit flush then you will be replacing that seal again in the future!