Ingound Pool In Yard With Slope

cmccmc

Hi all - I have searched around the forum for a little bit, I found some info, but I was curious if anyone had some input on my problem.

I want to put an inground pool in the backyard, but there is a fairly decent slope - maybe 3 feet over the span of the pool. I have talked to a few pool builders and they suggest digging back the slope - leaving enough flat are to build the pool and deck. One builder said that a retaining wall would be needed to hold back any rainwater from going into the pool or undermining the deck. The other two seemed to think that it would be ok without a retaining wall.

I could build the wall myself with some interlocking wall blocks, but I was curious if anyone had some experience with their own pools on a slope. It would be the entire length of the 36 foot long pool (plus decking).

Sorry if I'm leaving out some important details! First post.. appreciate any input.

Thanks

When in doubt, add the retaining wall. I just looked at a pool Monday that is 8 years old - same situation. He had 3 builders out when he built the pool - 1 guy suggested a retaining wall and the other 2 said don't bother. The pool shell is so severely cracked that it is beyond repair and out of warranty. The plumbing lines broke too. It is a total disaster and his only option is to now eliminate the pool and build a new one including the retaining wall that should have been put in the first time. Some builders will do anything to sell a job even if they know they are doing wrong. They don't want to loose a job because of cost over someone else that wants to do things the right way. Spend the money to do it right the first time or spend twice later to fix shortcut mistakes.

Our yard slopes about 3 feet down when going across the width of the pool area....end to end is about the same ...there is a 3 foot high 45 degree soil embankment around the deck edge on the lower side and lower end...no retaining wall.....if you are OK with using some extra square footage around the pool for the embankment, you could consider going without the retaining wall...but have fun mowing the grass on the embankment.

Amen Geeman!

Make sure your pool builder is reputable and has been around a while. Do your homework on every aspect of the build, not to the point of micromanaging and worrying the builder to death, but don't go the cheapest route just because it's the cheapest. You WILL PAY in the long run.

You don't have to use the most expensive guy in town either, just make sure you know what you are paying for, and if ANYTHING sounds off, take the time to check it out. You will be glad you did when your neighbor, trying to keep up with you, goes with Budget Pools, Inc.

Hi all - I have searched around the forum for a little bit, I found some info, but I was curious if anyone had some input on my problem.

I want to put an inground pool in the backyard, but there is a fairly decent slope - maybe 3 feet over the span of the pool. I have talked to a few pool builders and they suggest digging back the slope - leaving enough flat are to build the pool and deck. One builder said that a retaining wall would be needed to hold back any rainwater from going into the pool or undermining the deck. The other two seemed to think that it would be ok without a retaining wall.

I could build the wall myself with some interlocking wall blocks, but I was curious if anyone had some experience with their own pools on a slope. It would be the entire length of the 36 foot long pool (plus decking).

Sorry if I'm leaving out some important details! First post.. appreciate any input.

Thanks

This is not a question I would leave up to the pool builder. As Pool Clown said above... refer this to a soil/structural engineer. In Calfornia, building a pool without an approved engineering plan would be a code violation and is definitely something people sue over.

Hi Newbie,

I don't know if you have decided on a builder but you plan should be engineered. We are a Eco-Friendly Pool company in Houston with 15 years in the industry, I would love to come and take a look at your property if you would like. Please look at our website and give us a call if interested.

Thank you for your time.

www.ecoquaticpools.com

Whoever builds this pool should consult a soils engineer for recommendations/requirements.

Absolutley agree. Your township may have, or even contract with an engineering firm that can look at the plans. They will likely have to approve the building permits as well -- I would contact them to get their advice about local building codes in your area. Depending on the township, they may require certain rainwater diversion plans and may be comfortable offering advice.

That's EXACTLY my situation. I'll try to post pictures tonight but they basically did a concrete retaining wall on the low side and have the "high" side 1' lower to reduce the height of the retaining wall on the low side.

If I forget to post pictures and you want to see them, just send me a personnal message on the forum.