Ozinator

Hi all. About to pull the trigger on a bc or sundance. Would like advice on ozinator. Sundance dealer says it will help my water chemistry aNd reduce the need for as much chemical but also mean I do not have to check the water and add some lithium daily. Bc says ozinator is old tech and a danger to my health (seems a little drastic). Would like a few opinions on the realities. If I go bc, is the uv light sanitation a must? If I go sundance is the ozinator a must. Also important to understand if either of these two things will kill me lol. Uv is 700. Ozinator is 250.

I'm stuck on one of these 2. Also open to commentary on what's the better quality tub. It's bc380 vs sundance hartford 680.

Hi all. About to pull the trigger on a bc or sundance. Would like advice on ozinator. Sundance dealer says it will help my water chemistry aNd reduce the need for as much chemical but also mean I do not have to check the water and add some lithium daily. Bc says ozinator is old tech and a danger to my health (seems a little drastic). Would like a few opinions on the realities. If I go bc, is the uv light sanitation a must? If I go sundance is the ozinator a must. Also important to understand if either of these two things will kill me lol. Uv is 700. Ozinator is 250.

I'm stuck on one of these 2. Also open to commentary on what's the better quality tub. It's bc380 vs sundance hartford 680.

Interesting. Good to know that every other Spa Manufacturer is trying to kill us with their Ozone products.

Also if BC is selling an Ozinator when they say it will harm you is interesting. And I call BS. Personally I would be hesitating to go with that dealer in that case.

But best to see what the experts here say. I will be getting Ozone. It is a Corona Discharge unit to purify the water.

If you read his blog on their website you'll see this is because Beachcomber's owner does not believe in pillows and ozone so you won't see either on a BC and they'll tell you that you don't want to buy other spas that have it. Personally I like both on my spa but in reality both of these brands are good options and you can go without ozone so decide which spa you want and if it's the Sundance I'd say absolutely get the ozone and if you go with BC I'd also get an ozonator unless he just doesn't sell them due to their story.

As a Hot Spring dealer, I'd suggest looking at Hot Spring if you have not already.

However, between BeachComber and Sundance, I'd personally lean the Sundance direction. They make a quality product. As far as UV and Ozone are concerned, both will help. However, Ozone is an extremely popular (let alone mainstream) option! Ozone related systems are used in air purifiers for houses, by water companies (think Culligan Water), hot tub manufacturers, pool companies, and I'm sure lots of other industries. Used appropriately, it's both safe and very effective.

UV itself, used to be used to create ozone in hot tubs actually. Most major manufacturers have moved away from using UV to create ozone because the UV bulbs had low efficiency when compared to newer Corona Discharge systems, and the bulbs themselves required replacement. However, UV sanitation is becoming popular for things like toothbrushes, and other hygiene items like that. However, for UV to be effective two things must occur. One, the UV output must be fairly high, and the object being sanitized has to be in direct contact with the UV output for a length of time. With ozone, the gas is injected into the water, rather than the water simply passing by the UV.

The great thing with Ozone is how it works. You're using natural oxidation to not only kill bacteria (like UV would) but also to break up unwanted compounds in the water. And in the end, it's simply oxygen molecules which can either gas off or bond with other things in the water and sort of "disappear". Although Ozone certainly isn't "new", it has definitely not outlived it's use. It's sort of like saying that Saunas are old technology simply because they've been used for centuries. They're still the healthiest thing you can do!

For more info on UV Water Sanitizing, here's a company that has a decent page of information. Including advantages and disadvantages. Of note, they specifically mention that water must be pre-filtered for UV Sanitation to be effective, otherwise compounds or particles in the water can "shadow" bacteria/virus and keep the UV radiation from destroying them. Also, UV has no direct effect on Chlorine and "other chemical contaminants". One of the things folks like about Ozone use in hot tubs is that it breaks down Chlorine (mainly it's destruction of combined Chlorine, which is where the stinky, irritating nature of "Chlorine" comes from).

http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filter...olet-filter.php

It's important for you to know that Ozone (O2) in either UV (ultra violet) or CD (corona discharge) is nothing more than a supplement to a proper sanitation regimen. Will it reduce the amount of sanitizer you use? Sure. But will you be able to measure the reduction, probably not. In between additions of sanitizer it will help to keep your water clean but can never be relied on to clean your water.

Does that make sence?

I like BC and put them in my top 3 no matter how kooky the owner is....LOL

Thanks for the info. I do like the dealer regardless. Actually it's the sundance dealer that's a little strange but in the end he seems genuine and knowledgable.

It's important for you to know that Ozone (O2) in either UV (ultra violet) or CD (corona discharge) is nothing more than a supplement to a proper sanitation regimen. Will it reduce the amount of sanitizer you use? Sure. But will you be able to measure the reduction, probably not. In between additions of sanitizer it will help to keep your water clean but can never be relied on to clean your water.

Does that make sence?

Roger are u sayin u r not a sundance fan or just like the bc better?

Does that make sence?

Good deal. Thx.

As a Hot Spring dealer, I'd suggest looking at Hot Spring if you have not already.

However, between BeachComber and Sundance, I'd personally lean the Sundance direction. They make a quality product. As far as UV and Ozone are concerned, both will help. However, Ozone is an extremely popular (let alone mainstream) option! Ozone related systems are used in air purifiers for houses, by water companies (think Culligan Water), hot tub manufacturers, pool companies, and I'm sure lots of other industries. Used appropriately, it's both safe and very effective.

UV itself, used to be used to create ozone in hot tubs actually. Most major manufacturers have moved away from using UV to create ozone because the UV bulbs had low efficiency when compared to newer Corona Discharge systems, and the bulbs themselves required replacement. However, UV sanitation is becoming popular for things like toothbrushes, and other hygiene items like that. However, for UV to be effective two things must occur. One, the UV output must be fairly high, and the object being sanitized has to be in direct contact with the UV output for a length of time. With ozone, the gas is injected into the water, rather than the water simply passing by the UV.

The great thing with Ozone is how it works. You're using natural oxidation to not only kill bacteria (like UV would) but also to break up unwanted compounds in the water. And in the end, it's simply oxygen molecules which can either gas off or bond with other things in the water and sort of "disappear". Although Ozone certainly isn't "new", it has definitely not outlived it's use. It's sort of like saying that Saunas are old technology simply because they've been used for centuries. They're still the healthiest thing you can do!

For more info on UV Water Sanitizing, here's a company that has a decent page of information. Including advantages and disadvantages. Of note, they specifically mention that water must be pre-filtered for UV Sanitation to be effective, otherwise compounds or particles in the water can "shadow" bacteria/virus and keep the UV radiation from destroying them. Also, UV has no direct effect on Chlorine and "other chemical contaminants". One of the things folks like about Ozone use in hot tubs is that it breaks down Chlorine (mainly it's destruction of combined Chlorine, which is where the stinky, irritating nature of "Chlorine" comes from).

http://www.home-water-purifiers-and-filter...olet-filter.php

Does that make sence?

I like BC better. Sundance makes a fine product but they are a little bit to propietary for me. Seems there parts and stuff are harder to get than a lot of others.

Thx. After wet test it's the beachcomber.

Does that make sence?

I like BC better. Sundance makes a fine product but they are a little bit to propietary for me. Seems there parts and stuff are harder to get than a lot of others.