Pump To Jet Ratio

Started the hunt to buy a tub by reading the forum to try to sort the wheat from the chaff, guess I now have a bit of understanding which brands to look at. I am puzzled by some of the info which seems to suggest more jets is good but the high end Hot Springs only has 47 ( here in Scotland it's called the Summit but I think Stateside it's marketed as the Vista) whereas some of the mid range Arctics have 81. Can one of you tech guys explain how I should be comparing these is there a pump to jet ratio ot a jet to HP ratio. Wet testing is all good and well but the reality is it won't be until some months after purchase and regular usage that a non-regular user will have enough experience to understand that maybe the tub that felt great in the showroom isn't living up to expectations. Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

Started the hunt to buy a tub by reading the forum to try to sort the wheat from the chaff, guess I now have a bit of understanding which brands to look at. I am puzzled by some of the info which seems to suggest more jets is good but the high end Hot Springs only has 47 ( here in Scotland it's called the Summit but I think Stateside it's marketed as the Vista) whereas some of the mid range Arctics have 81. Can one of you tech guys explain how I should be comparing these is there a pump to jet ratio ot a jet to HP ratio. Wet testing is all good and well but the reality is it won't be until some months after purchase and regular usage that a non-regular user will have enough experience to understand that maybe the tub that felt great in the showroom isn't living up to expectations. Thanks in advance for any insight into this issue.

There's really only one way and it involves some fancy techno calculations on a big long spread sheet with all the specs for the pumps, plumbing, jet model numbers, water volume and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Or you could just wet test and find out what feels best for you!!! 3 jets may be heaven for you. Or maybe it's 30, or maybe 130??

well put Roger...i likee :D:D:D

Just because a tub has 100.000 jets...does not mean it is a high end line, most of your top brands will use less jets and placed in the right spots.....Look at D1, Hot Springs, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis. to just name a few.....

I'm simplifying it a bit but I would explain it this way, a pump puts out a certain GPM. One spa may use a certain pump and plumb 40 jets to it, another spa may use the same pump and use 60 jets or 80... Some spas overdo it by splitting the flow too many times. A lot also has to do with the type of jets you are using.

In the end, a wet test is the best way to go ALWAYS.

well put Roger...i likee :D:D:D

Just because a tub has 100.000 jets...does not mean it is a high end line, most of your top brands will use less jets and placed in the right spots.....Look at D1, Hot Springs, Sundance, Jacuzzi, Marquis. to just name a few.....

I'm simplifying it a bit but I would explain it this way, a pump puts out a certain GPM. One spa may use a certain pump and plumb 40 jets to it, another spa may use the same pump and use 60 jets or 80... Some spas overdo it by splitting the flow too many times. A lot also has to do with the type of jets you are using.

In the end, a wet test is the best way to go ALWAYS.

Sorry Spatech what is GPM?

The issue I was concerned with was that if Hotsprings using two 2.5hp pumps powers 47 jets and Jacuzzi uses 2, 2hp pumps to power 48 jets then the HS tub would seem to have a clear power advantage. I fully accept that a wet test will tell you what you like and dislike but the reality is that sitting in a tub in a showroom for 30 minutes bears no relation to using the tub every day for 6 months and then deciding your tub is underpowered.

Sundance not a choice here in Scotland as the closest dealer is in Yorkshire too far away to provide service. Choices really are Hot Springs, Jacuzzi, D1, Arctic and Artesian. Arctic is the only one with more than one dealer. Arctic seem to use 3 pumps for 61 jets, I think the pumps are rated at 3.6hp. This seems a big difference from the other two and I was really trying to understand a bit of the theory behind this.

Thanks again for the input.

GPM=gallons per minute

Be careful that whatever spa you are looking at is rating things in true, continuous horsepower if you are going to look at specs. Some may rate their pumps in Brake horsepower is confusing. I don't think you're seeing any 3.6 true hP pumps, maybe 3.6 BhP. If they really were that large how can you have all 3 on with the heater on 1 circuit? Maybe an Arctic person can answer that.

Jet count and horse power are truly a small concern in a hot tub. As has been stated, it depends on so many factors; type of jets, plumbing, the pump, etc.

Remember, more, bigger pumps make the spa use more energy, cost more to use.

Wet test is really all that is relevant in making the choice.