How To Repair Leak In Pvc Joint For Spa Tub

rna

Hi,

I bought a spa tub that is a few years old but never installed. When I tested the unit with water all works well but there is a small drip leak from one of the PVC coupling joints that is part of the jet assembly. Please click the link below to see a picture of the leaking pipe.

http://s859.photobucket.com/albums/ab153/r...irlpoolleak.jpg

I don't know if there were any handling issues (lifting by the pipe) before I purchased the tub, but regardless I am looking for some advice to fix this leak. If this was not part of the jet I would cut out the faulty PVC and use coupler to rebond the pipes. I don't want to cut at the jet if possible, and simply adding more PVC bond is not a lasting repair.

It is leaking right at the joint where you see the pull tie - looks like an excessive abount of bonding material (blue) at this joint.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

I've had good luck with using epoxy to repair PVC fittings. I had a leak on a PVC valve that I repaired with JB Weld, that worked real good!

Devcon also makes quality epoxy. I wouldn't use those 5 minute epoxy kits. Be sure the area around the leak is clean and roughed up so the epoxy can get a good "bite".

Dave

• 3 weeks later...

Go to your local plumbing store & look for whats called a Rambit made by Pasco. Then cut the pipe right at the fitting then use the Rambit to clear out the old pvc. When your done glue in a new piece with proper glue & primer. That IMO is the only proper way to fix it if you dont want to replace the jet housing. If that happened on 1 its probably gonna happen to the rest down the road.

Go to your local plumbing store & look for whats called a Rambit made by Pasco. Then cut the pipe right at the fitting then use the Rambit to clear out the old pvc. When your done glue in a new piece with proper glue & primer. That IMO is the only proper way to fix it if you dont want to replace the jet housing. If that happened on 1 its probably gonna happen to the rest down the road.

Shhhhhhhhhhh Rambit is a closely gaurded secret! Sheeeesh

http://pascospecialty.com/catalog/PASCO_CATALOG_C.pdf

Go slow and steady untill your used to the tool.