Is This Overkill?

mlobitz

So I switched over to the dichlor then bleach method. So far so good, but I'm wondering now if what I'm doing is complete and total overkill...

I have a Hot Spring Grandee 500 gallon tub with silver ions and ozone.

At the end of each soak I add 2 oz. of MPS and 3 oz. of 6% unscented Clorox bleach.

Is it necessary to add the MPS or even keep the silver ions and ozone in the future? Is bleach enough? I do use the stain and scale liquid as well. It seems pretty easy to keep the TA and PH steady without the borates, but I might try that on the next fill just for fun.

Bleach is enough. The silver isn't needed if you always maintain a chlorine residual. The ozone is both good and bad -- if you use the tub a lot then it can help reduce the amount of chlorine you need to use but if you use the tub less frequently then you may need to use more chlorine as the ozone can use up some of the chlorine.

Bleach is enough. The silver isn't needed if you always maintain a chlorine residual. The ozone is both good and bad -- if you use the tub a lot then it can help reduce the amount of chlorine you need to use but if you use the tub less frequently then you may need to use more chlorine as the ozone can use up some of the chlorine.

So can I lose the silver ion insert and still use the ozone? I'm going to leave the silver ion insert out on the next change out. Those silver ion inserts are so expensive in the whole scheme of things(+$30.)

Bleach...cheap...mps...relatively cheap if you use a little at a time. Baking soda...cheap, a little bit of acid...cheap...calcium is expensive, but only used at start up. Borates...even though I don't use them...cheap...shouldn't cost so much to run this thing. Mostly power and with spring on the way, the cost for that should mellow with the increasing temps.

So can I lose the silver ion insert and still use the ozone? I'm going to leave the silver ion insert out on the next change out. Those silver ion inserts are so expensive in the whole scheme of things(+$30.)

Yes, you can leave that out. Just make sure you use enough chlorine after each soak to still measure at least a 1-2 ppm FC residual before your next soak.

I use the silver cartridge in my Maxxus, in addition to the bleach.

I think of it as insurance, in case I don't use the tub one night and forget to throw a little bleach in.

30-40 bucks or so for 3-4 months (for the cartridge) isn't too bad, especially considering the money I am saving by not buying spa shop chemicals.

I would recommend adding the borates though. I initially didn't add them and noticed the ph bounce fairly regularly. With the borate (Borax), I have noticed a big difference in the consistency of the ph.

Agree with Wannago - I also use a silver cartridge plus ozonator in my Sundance in addition to bleach. $40 every 3 months is worth it for me.

Depending upon how many people have been in my tub I add a small amount of chlorox (between 2oz and 4oz) after every use, which is typically most days. Then once per week I shock with 3 TBSP of MPS just for insurance. Been using this method for months now with perfect water quality, and zero problems.