Fair Price For Used D1 Sarena Bay ?

kenc

I am able to buy a 2003 D1 Sarina Bay on consignment from the local AZ Dimension One dealer.

I am getting the spa with :

- a new cover

- steps

- some exercise package

- lifter

- starter chemicals

- Full checkout - of the spa

- full Detailed cleaning of spa

- 1 yr warranty on pumps and heater

- delivery and install

for $7300 out the door...

I am told the following about the previous owner :

- original owner

- Older retired couple

- Spa has not been used much in last year and has "low miles" in general

- kept good care of it

- was a customer of the dealer

So should I pull the trigger ?

Thanks,

Ken

That is 6 to 7 years old selling for $7300. What did it sell for new? $7300 goes a long way toward most new spas.

New TODAY they go for $14-18K depending on the options. This one has all the options and it one of D1 top of the luxury spas.

I looked at the next lower line spas D1 Reflextion /Auroa for $8.3 K new.

for the D1 Sarena Bay, this is a good price we sell them in the 14k to 18 k range. this spa is not your typical 8x8 tub this is a very good spa line, but spa tech is right you can get a new tub for 8,000 to 9,000 range including the reflection series spa. i see they are giving a 1 year warranty as well....kenc you looked at the aurora which is a smaller spa 7x7 and the sarena bay is roughly 8 x 10. check with the dealer on a price of a brand new one. if you are comfortable with the dealer i would think about it...just a few things to consider

for the D1 Sarena Bay, this is a good price we sell them in the 14k to 18 k range. this spa is not your typical 8x8 tub this is a very good spa line, but spa tech is right you can get a new tub for 8,000 to 9,000 range including the reflection series spa. i see they are giving a 1 year warranty as well....kenc you looked at the aurora which is a smaller spa 7x7 and the sarena bay is roughly 8 x 10. check with the dealer on a price of a brand new one. if you are comfortable with the dealer i would think about it...just a few things to consider

The Dealer tells me that a new Serena Bay is about ~$18K. I am "thinking really hard" :) you mentioned if I was "comfortable with the dealer" . here in lies the problem :(

Pros: Dealer has been in business 30 yrs - was a long time Hot Springs dealer for a while and switched to D1 years ago.

Has a repair shop

Sales person is the owners daughter but ....

Cons

- Salesperson is a real wheeler dealer ( throwing out prices left and right- was mind boggling to keep up with her) , she contradicts herself quite often, I am an engineer and asks lots of tech questions and get suspicious when the answer varies.

- One minute she is only making a few hundred $$ on the deal and she is doing me a favor then the next is if I don't put 50% down - site unseen TODAY (mind you she has not yet seen it either) - I loose my option and she will offer to the next deal seeker. She blames it on the owner cause he wants the $$ up front - not on consignment.

- One day - Sure you can we test it , next day - I may let you wet test it - nobody does that any more blah...

- When I hesitated on putting the 50% down and was ok with "losing out on the best deal" and then talked about the New Aurora for $8.3k - that price was only good for the next day or so. --- pissed me off - some lame excuse about holding up the res of here order, I said I could wait a few weeks and she said "well I have to talk to the owner "

As a result I am going to wait to see to look it over, if avail -

But I really like the Serena Bay - but its almost too much spa :)

I would still like to here from a D1 Tech/Dealer to confirm that the $7300 for a 2003 Serena Bay IS THE BEST DEAL or Not :)

The Dealer tells me that a new Serena Bay is about ~$18K. I am "thinking really hard" :) you mentioned if I was "comfortable with the dealer" . here in lies the problem :(

D1 is a good brand but I have a hard time believing he's sold any of those new for $18k, I think that's more the MSRP. All things are negotiable, especially used spas. For me, I'd look at the MANY quality new spas you can get out there for $7-10k.

For me, I'd look at the MANY quality new spas you can get out there for $7-10k.

Yeah I get that and am looking :) ... What I really wanted to get was experienced peoples opinion on is $7300 a good deal for a 2003 D1 Sarina Bay and hence can I Trust what my Local D1 dealer has to say "If" I get a new one as she tells me the Used Sarina will be sold....

kenc

i sell the D1 line and we love them.....spa tech is right i do not sell them that high, especially right now with the economy..we are at roughly 16K, so for the used Sarena Bay at that price is a good price for that model....if it is in the shape they claim....and also again there a alot of new spas in this range,,,but going from the Sarene Bay to the Aurora is big a big drop in size.. hope this helps

kenc

i sell the D1 line and we love them.....spa tech is right i do not sell them that high, especially right now with the economy..we are at roughly 16K, so for the used Sarena Bay at that price is a good price for that model....if it is in the shape they claim....and also again there a alot of new spas in this range,,,but going from the Sarene Bay to the Aurora is big a big drop in size.. hope this helps

Yes this helps .... The Size drop is not an issues... thanks for your input. At this point in the negotiation I have more issues with my local dealer - "lack of trust" - which is a bummer at it is the only D1 dealer in my state :(

• 1 month later...

Ken - I can't offer much help regarding the value of the 7 year old Serena Bay but I read you post and was curious. Your sig says that you are the happy owner of a 2009 HS tub. Will the D1 replace the HS and will you be selling it or is the D1 for a differnet place?

• 10 years later...