Pump Maintenance

SoCal Ed

I need to do a little maintenance on my pool pump. I believe it's a 2hp whisperflow and has been in operation for about 7 years. Water leaks between the motor and pump housing so I have the seal for that but I've noticed in the past 2 weeks or so that when the motor is powered up, it buzzes for about 5 seconds before engaging. Could this be the brushes on the motor? If so, is it an easy fix or better to replace the motor?

Thanks,

Ed

Pool/spa pumps use induction motors so there are no brushes to replace. However, it could be a capacitor that is starting to go out. The Whisperflo is a permanent split capacitor (PSC) motor so the capacitors cost a bit more than start capacitors but either are quite easy to replace.

If the water has been leaking for a while, i would suspect that the motor is showing the beginning signs of failure. When you replace the seal, look at the end bell of the motor (when its apart) and see if it is water stained (it will look kinda like calcium build up/ staining). Does the motor make any more noise than it used to? Even a noise that isn't loud. At first, it may be a little whining that you can just barely hear above the normal sound.

Although I don't replace capacitors, I'm not sure that i would invest in a cap on a 7 year old motor (my 2 cents).

replace the motor and seal. Think about the time it takes to replace the capacitor and the time it takes to replace the motor and seal...once you tear into it, you might as well do it right or replace the pump. 7 years is a pretty good run when you mix water, moving parts and electricity.

My pump lasted a whole 12 mo. before it froze up. Way to go JANDY! woo hoo.... :P