Water Level In Spa Settling To Pool Level

SoCal Ed

Hello,

I have an in ground plaster pool with a connected spa that spills into the pool when the pump is running. The water level of the spa is 6" higher then the pool level. I have noticed in the last few days that the spa water level is settling to the pool level, leaving the spa plaster exposed. Is there some sort of check valve that could be failing to allow this?

Ed

Hello,

I have an in ground plaster pool with a connected spa that spills into the pool when the pump is running. The water level of the spa is 6" higher then the pool level. I have noticed in the last few days that the spa water level is settling to the pool level, leaving the spa plaster exposed. Is there some sort of check valve that could be failing to allow this?

Ed

Absolutely. If you can post a picture of the plumbing at the equipment, perhaps i can show you which valve to look at. Is it draining when the pump runs? Or over night when the pump is off?

It seems fine while the pump is on, it must happen while the pump is off. I have it set to run at night and when I took the pic I notice it's wet around the pump, I probably need to replace a seal, huh? That shouldn't cause this problem though, or could it? I'm not sure how to upload a pic on this site, I'm new here.

Great pic. I think i see the spa by-pass, but it is hidden in the picture. It looks like the 1" plumbing that is by-passing the top valve actuator. It looks like there is some kind of valve there but really can't see. Can you provide another pic of that 1" pipe and the valve thats hidden?

Were looking for a check valve of some kind. While a leaking seal should be addressed/replaced as soon as possible, its not the reason the spa is draining.

I can see the ball valve, and a check valve on the 1" line. You have probably gotten something stuck in it keeping it open, or it has broken and is stuck open. Either way, it needs to be replaced because those check valves cannot be opened to inspect. I recommend using a Jandy brand check valve. They come in 1 1/2" so you will need to buy two 1 1/2" X 1" bushings to step down the size. If it is easier, you could probably leave the existing check valve alone and plumb the new one in on the top horizontal pipe. Those check valves come in a straight through configuration or as a 90.

Until then, you can fill up the spa, then close that valve so the water don't leak back out (to the pool), or if it doesn't bother you, leave it open. But do fix it as soon as it is convenient, you don't want the spa draining out every night as you could possibly develop a (bathtub) ring over time.

Yep, thats it. Now that i can see it better, cut between the ball valve and the check. Cut as close as you can to the check valve and re-plumb from there.

Also, the nice thing about the Jandy check valve is that you can't plumb it in wrong. The flapper can be placed at either port within the valve.

Will do, thanks a bunch.

my problem is slightly different but similar... not sure if appropriate to post on this topic. i have a pentair pool with easytouch remote. when i run the spa, the water drains from the spa into the pool through the holes in the pool below the waterfall. is there something easy to check?

my problem is slightly different but similar... not sure if appropriate to post on this topic. i have a pentair pool with easytouch remote. when i run the spa, the water drains from the spa into the pool through the holes in the pool below the waterfall. is there something easy to check?

I replied to this on your other post.

I have a similar problem and noticed that there are no check valves on my lines (it actually looks like the previous home owner may have redone the pipes)... Should I install a check valve on the line to my pump.... ?

On the pump? Not unless the pump (and equipment) is significantly higher than the pool, say > 5 feet.

You should have a check valve on the spa return, if the spa level is higher than the pool level.

I have a similar problem and noticed that there are no check valves on my lines (it actually looks like the previous home owner may have redone the pipes)... Should I install a check valve on the line to my pump.... ?

On the pump? Not unless the pump (and equipment) is significantly higher than the pool, say > 5 feet.

You should have a check valve on the spa return, if the spa level is higher than the pool level.

Yes, the spa is a couple feet above where the pool equipment sits... so the check valve should go after all the pumps and filters on the return line?

Yes, the spa is a couple feet above where the pool equipment sits... so the check valve should go after all the pumps and filters on the return line?

Only if the spa is higher than the pool.

One last question before I do this, when I cut the pipe, is water going to gush out? If so, How do I avoid this?

You said that the Pool/spa is a couple of feet higher than the equipment, so i would say Yes, you will get wet if you cut that pipe

Before you cut, drain the spa into the pool. You can do this by taking water from the spa and return to the pool. Switch the valve(s) that are in front of the pump, but don't move the return valve(s) leave them on "pool". If you have isolation valves, you may not need to do this. If you can take a pic of your plumbing and post, perhaps i could tell if you have them and which ones to close.

Your automation probably has the ability to drain the spa. That looks like a Jandy controller you have. Put it into service, and then hit the spa drain button, then hit the filter button. Don't forget to turn the pump off before the pump sucks in air. Then you can cut into the spa bypass line without taking a bath.

Actually, that is good news. That tells me that the check valve is probably the cause. If it were a valve, experience tells me that it would happen every day. Since it happens frequently, meaning not always, the valve could have a little wear (slop) and seating properly some days and not others.