Spa Biofilm

Dietitian

Is dental plaque similar to spa biofilm? If so, would spa flush type products possibly be an effective method for breaking the film and keeping teeth plaque free?

Here is a paper indicating that dental plaque has recently been recognized as a biofilm:

http://www.dentalcarestamford.com/pdf/Dent...%20Biofilms.pdf

So the question remains; would "spa flush" be effective as an oral rinse? If so, would it be toxic?

Spa system flush is registered for use in spas. It is not for use orally. Given how quickly and effectively it works, it's likely to be way too harsh for the human body and could be quite toxic. If you want a plaque reducing rinse for your teeth, ask your dentist. Interestingly, I found this link on Plax showing that basically it wasn't effective. You can read some more here, but basically it looks like rinses aren't that effective. The best way is to brush regularly. I will say that for my own teeth, my dental results improved dramatically years ago when I started using the Sonicare electric toothbrush. The rate of gingivitis pocket growth was stopped and even reversed somewhat and the amount of plaque and tartar was significantly, I'd even say tremendously, reduced. My dentist says that he has seen similar results from others.

Spa system flush is registered for use in spas. It is not for use orally. Given how quickly and effectively it works, it's likely to be way too harsh for the human body and could be quite toxic. If you want a plaque reducing rinse for your teeth, ask your dentist. Interestingly, I found this link on Plax showing that basically it wasn't effective. You can read some more here, but basically it looks like rinses aren't that effective. The best way is to brush regularly. I will say that for my own teeth, my dental results improved dramatically years ago when I started using the Sonicare electric toothbrush. The rate of gingivitis pocket growth was stopped and even reversed somewhat and the amount of plaque and tartar was significantly, I'd even say tremendously, reduced. My dentist says that he has seen similar results from others.

Do any of the spa flush products (that are effective) list ingredients?

PS http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/ link above is broken.

The link isn't broken for me; maybe one has to register for the site (I don't know). The contents of that link are just an abstract which I presume is OK to copy here:

Effect of the pre-brushing rinse, Plax, on dental plaque formation

Liana Bastos Freitas 1 , Bruno Collaert 1 Rolf Attström 1

1 Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, Lund University, Malmö, Sweden

Correspondence to Address: Liana B. Freitas, Department of Periodontology, Faculty of Odontology, Lund University, Carl Gustafs väg 34, S-21 421 Malmö, Sweden

Copyright Munksgaard 1991

KEYWORDS

plaque • mouthrinse

ABSTRACT

Abstract.

The aim of this double-blind cross-over study was to investigate plaque accumulation after the use of the pre-brushing rinse Plax, compared to placebo. 10 volunteers underwent 2 treatment periods of 1 week, separated by a wash-out period of 1 week. At the start of each study period, professional tooth-cleaning was performed. On days 2, 4, and 7 of each treatment period, periodic identical photographs after plaque disclosure were taken for planimetric analyses of plaque extension on canines, premolars. During each treatment period, the subjects were supervised when rinsing twice daily for 30 seconds with 15 ml of placebo or Plax, followed by brushing. The subjects performed a standardized poor brushing technique without toothpaste. No significant differences were noted between placebo and Plax for plaque extension on days, 2, 4 and 7. The results show that buccal plaque growth is equal after 2 × daily rinsing with Plax and placebo in subjects performing a poor oral hygiene.

The Spa System Flush MSDS gives no clue as to ingredients, though it does tell you what is not in it which is any of your standard algicide, disinfectant, sanitizer, oxidizer products. It's most likely enzymes and maybe surfactants. Enzymes accelerate specific chemical reactions. It may or may not accelerate oxidation reactions that could be irritating or harmful to your health. Again, if you have plaque, go for what works for most people which is better brushing, possibly using Sonicare or other toothbrush system that has been demonstrated to reduce plaque and gingivitis. Never use a product for which it was not intended, especially not in your body.

It's unfortunate that plax doesn't work. Spa Flush worked very well on my spa (infected with something, huge CD). If it can remove the biofilms in my tub that easily, one would think that a similar product could be developed to remove the tooth biofilms that lead to decay.

The stuff looks pretty harmless according to that data sheet, but I wouldn't put it in my mouth unless I knew exactly what was in it.

It's unfortunate that plax doesn't work. Spa Flush worked very well on my spa (infected with something, huge CD). If it can remove the biofilms in my tub that easily, one would think that a similar product could be developed to remove the tooth biofilms that lead to decay.

The stuff looks pretty harmless according to that data sheet, but I wouldn't put it in my mouth unless I knew exactly what was in it.

Jesus...you are really asking this question???? Really???

umm....as my cousin always says....."Crack don't smoke itself!"