Jump to content


  • Posts

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Dietitian's Achievements

Spa Savant

Spa Savant (3/5)



  1. The city does not include PH in their report. I have PH calibration fluid to calibrate the meter. Here is the meter: http://www.amazon.com/HM-Digital-PH-200-Wa...2944&sr=8-1 I'll test against a std color test to see if the calibration fluid is off.
  2. It was after a new fill -- my tap water is currently 9.5, and I accidentally had the air jets on, it climbed overnight.... I have an electronic meter that I calibrate every week. They're 50-100 bucks on amazon.
  3. My tub got up to PH 10.7 and I ran out of dry acid last night, wondering if 10.7 is damaging for an overnight stay in my tub : )
  4. At some point the PH would be so high as to dissolve human flesh (lye will cause caustic burns) Can it become high enough to dissolve hot tub materials?
  5. Is a very high PH corrosive, or just likely to leave mineral deposits? Could PH get so high as to damage metal/tile parts?
  6. I don't have that... any household chemicals i can use?
  7. What can I use as a replacement for dry acid? Can I use sulfuric acid drain cleaner? Vinegar? It's a 30 min drive to get more chemicals, so this would be a one time fix; any suggestions?
  8. Is there any problem with TA 40 per se? If the TA is 40 and the CSI is near zero, is that still a problem?
  9. Mercola picks and chooses, exaggerates, and lies. Fact check his Splenda articles for case in point.
  10. Yikes! No wonder you taste the chlorine. Our water used to have < 1 ppm FC by the time it got to our house and now with monochloramine it's 1.2 ppm, but still hard to taste the chlorine or monochloramine itself. In our situation, the "bad" taste is mostly from other things in the water. The combination of 3 ppm FC with 2 ppm CC is a bit of a concern. It would seem that the CC is persistent since if it started out as ammonia it should have been oxidized by the time it got to your house. So it may be some sort of organic that is slower to oxidize. I don't know if hydrogen peroxide will be a strong enough reducing agent to dechlorinate the CC. It will certainly be able to remove the FC. You could certainly try it to see how it works by measuring the FC and CC after treatment. Add enough treating the CC as if it were FC in terms of calculating the amount of hydrogen peroxide needed. So to get rid of 5 ppm FC+CC in one gallon, it would take about one drop of 3% hydrogen peroxide, assuming around 20 drops per ml. Note that the Taylor dropper bottles are around 26 drops/ml. According to this page, one drop of water is 0.025 ml, which would be 40 drops per ml. Does that seem correct? I assume that water drops change with the TDS and chemical levels, surfactants in the water, etc....
  11. The professionals are pretty good at providing water that is safe to drink, but it tastes like chlorine. I would like to safely and quickly remove the chlorine from my water to improve taste. Currently my water arrives with about 3ppm FC and 2ppm combined chlorine, PH 9, and 600 ppm TDS. The water routinely falls out of spec as well. This summer the water contained unsafe ammonia levels for three months. We were notified this winter of the error. The main problem is the chlorine smell. It can be removed with a Brita filter, but if a drop of H202 can safely remove the chlorine, that seems easier and faster.
  12. If I want to lower my chlorine level quickly, how much hydrogen peroxide should I use per free chlorine ppm? Would it be possible to add H202 to a gallon of tap water (for drinking) to reduce the chlorine and improve the taste? Would the chlorine be reduced to chloramines? Would the peroxide attack the chloramines as well?
  13. Does this still indicate that teeth are more damaged by carbonated beverages, even though teeth are not made of calcium carbonate? Does carbonation affect the water's ability to dissolve the tooth's hydroxyapatite (crystalline calcium phosphate) material ?
  14. Excellent. Does anyone have any experience with this? It seems unlikely that silver alone could keep bacteria in check.
  15. A low CSI means waster is "calcium hungry" and would be able to pull calcium from the enamel (hydroxyapatite). Is this correct?
  • Create New...