New (pre-owned) Spa Owner

SRB

Hey All,

I just hooked up my spa, and nothing will turn on. I ran 240 into it from a "hot tub" GFCI breaker. Tested all wires coming into service panel, and everything looks good (red, white and black all show 120V). Tested power into pumps, etc. and all showing power except for wires going into the heater. The display does not turn on at all, but there is a current going in to it. The spa was fully functional before I moved it to my house. I did manage to drop it pretty good during the move, but nothing looks damaged. Any ideas? Thanks in advance!

You should have the following:

Red <-> Black = 240 V

Red <-> White = 120 V

Red <-> Ground = 120 V

Black <-> White = 120 V

Black <-> Ground = 120 V

White <--> Ground = 0 V

Hey thanks for the quick reply!

Ok, so the electric is hooked up incorrectly...

Going into the breaker, I only have a black and a white (both hot) and a ground. I don't have another wire to run into the white pigtail. I just ran the black and white out from the black and the red out from the white, because there is no common. What are my options? Can I split the ground into ground+common?

Man, you better slow down, you're making me nervous. Remember, you're playing with a force that can kill you. Now, from the main panel of your house, you should have run a 6/3 with ground cable. That would consist of one white (neutral), one black (120), one red (also 120) and a bare copper wire that attaches to the ground. So, in your tub GFCI box, you should have one black, one red, one white and the bare ground wire. You say you only have a black and a white? Where did the red go?

The best recommendation is to have a certified electrician handle this job, this is not a job that should be taken lightly. If you do this wrong you can get injured or even killed and it is not worth the money that you would save. I don't get the feeling that you know you are a certified electrician and would bet that no one in this forum will suggest that you do this job yourself. Just my opinion..! I don't mean to offend you, just save your life.

Man, you better slow down, you're making me nervous. Remember, you're playing with a force that can kill you. Now, from the main panel of your house, you should have run a 6/3 with ground cable. That would consist of one white (neutral), one black (120), one red (also 120) and a bare copper wire that attaches to the ground. So, in your tub GFCI box, you should have one black, one red, one white and the bare ground wire. You say you only have a black and a white? Where did the red go?

I agree.....not trying to be a jerk.....but you need to bring it down a notch or two and have an electrician get it all hooked up for you.

You can do it yourself, I did. Just make sure you're doing it right. The manual that came with my spa had a detailed wiring diagram. I just followed that, making sure that I used the proper gage wire and number of wires.

Dave

You should have the following:

Ok, so the electric is hooked up incorrectly...

Going into the breaker, I only have a black and a white (both hot) and a ground. I don't have another wire to run into the white pigtail. I just ran the black and white out from the black and the red out from the white, because there is no common. What are my options? Can I split the ground into ground+common?

Based on this description, your wiring is incorrect going into the GFCI. Have you traced it at all to verify direct wiring back to your main panel? Sounds like sort of a jury rig.

Proper wiring (eg. adequate breaker at the main panel, grounding, etc.) is critical for the proper function of the GFCI.

If your not certain, have an electrician have a look. Your life (or your families) may depend on it.

regards, Roger