Costco Platinum elite spa

Guest Shelly Solum

Don't bother. I bought one and now I'm probably going to return it. First of all the filter is pathetic. After less than a month the system went into LOW FLOW (LF4) AND INADEQUATE WATER DETECTED (DR4) MODES. Did everything manual suggested and still nothing. Called them, many times, finally was told you need to soak and clean the filters every 2 weeks, but at least once a month! I did this and it fixed the problem, but it's not documented and I never heard of a spa that needed to be maintained like this, once or twice a year clean the filters, but twice a month! Now the spa goes into spasms and pumps start and stop and blower is completely inoperative and they don't even return phone calls! What choice do I have but to return it? What a pain in the ass!

You clean your filters once or twice a year?

WTF?

Filters on average should be cleaned once a month. More so if there is an unusual water condition.

Twice a year? Is that a typo?

• Replies 390
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Please don't take this the wrong way but can you please provide a link or reference to this claim? Here is what I found on the BBB site.

NightRyder

http://xxx.bbbwestflorida.org/commonreport...&language=1

Hydro Spa Parts & Accessories, Inc.

13055 49th St N

Clearwater, FL 33762-4016

Telephone: (727) 573-9611

Fax: (727) 573-7758

xxx.hydrospaxxx

The BBB reports on members and non-members. If a company is a member of the BBB, it is stated in this report

BBB Definition:

report - A summary of activity reflected in a company's BBB file. Includes basic business background, BBB membership information, and Bureau complaint activity over the previous three years. Also reports may include any known government actions, advertising issues or other information that results from activity conducted by the BBB.

Original Business Start Date: January 1991

Principal: Mr. Brian Wiley, President

Customer Contact: Mr. Brian Wiley, President - (727) 573-9611

Entity: Corporation

TOB Classification: Spas & Hot Tubs - Dealers

BBB Membership: This company is not a member.

The Bureau processed a total of 14 complaints about this company in the last 36 months, our standard reporting period. Of the total of 14 complaints closed in 36 months, 8 were closed in the last year.

My apologies to the readers of this forum and to Hydro Spa. I was mistaken with the information I previously posted. (It belonged to another company which I had researched.) NightRyder is correct with his info. My opinion of Hydro Spa remains negative based upon the balance of my post.

Well up that by one. I just posted a complaint, because they just don't take or return phone calls. Maybe they sold too many spas through Costco, because they clearly can't support what they sold. My spa has several serious problems, some of which are apparently by design, others they won't even acknowledge with a return phone call or email.

Stay away from these spas. If you buy it, you'll probably regret it and have to return it!

My apologies to the readers of this forum and to Hydro Spa. I was mistaken with the information I previously posted. (It belonged to another company which I had researched.) NightRyder is correct with his info. My opinion of Hydro Spa remains negative based upon the balance of my post.

No problem wesj53, we all make mistakes. I'm not here to promote or defend Hydro Spa just trying to keep things accurate so perspective buyers can make an informed decision. :)

NightRyder

Well, at least my rattling the cage finally got a response. I don't know if it was my numerous messages, emails, postings here or the complaint with the BBB, but someone finally called me back. They are supposedly sending out parts and dispatching a tech to fix this under warranty. I hope so! I'll post again if and when the tech calls and shows up to hopefully fix it!

Well, at least my rattling the cage finally got a response. I don't know if it was my numerous messages, emails, postings here or the complaint with the BBB, but someone finally called me back. They are supposedly sending out parts and dispatching a tech to fix this under warranty. I hope so! I'll post again if and when the tech calls and shows up to hopefully fix it!

Glad your getting a response etski: If you need any information on spa care or chemicals please check out Roberts Hot Tubs FAQ section, especially the water maintenance articles by Vermonter and Northman.

http://rhtubs/cgi-bin/bbs/config.pll

Good luck

NightRyder

Don't bother. I bought one and now I'm probably going to return it. First of all the filter is pathetic. After less than a month the system went into LOW FLOW (LF4) AND INADEQUATE WATER DETECTED (DR4) MODES. Did everything manual suggested and still nothing. Called them, many times, finally was told you need to soak and clean the filters every 2 weeks, but at least once a month! I did this and it fixed the problem, but it's not documented and I never heard of a spa that needed to be maintained like this, once or twice a year clean the filters, but twice a month! Now the spa goes into spasms and pumps start and stop and blower is completely inoperative and they don't even return phone calls! What choice do I have but to return it? What a pain in the ass!

The Elite Platinum II uses cartridge filters similar to those used by most/all manufacturers, cylindrical vertical pleated fabric. The Elite Platinum II uses two filter cartridges (many tubs have only one) and each one has 50 sq. ft. of filter area for a total of 100 sq. ft. which is pretty good for hot tubs. I've run my tub for nearly two months and the filters are still pretty good but it really depends on how much crap you drag into the water when you get in and how much suntan oil you have on you that gets into the water and fouls up the filters. The manual is pretty clear about that and also tells you about cleaning the cartridges. If you have lost your manual, you can download it at:

The low flow detection is to protect the system when its owner plugs up the filters.

The low flow detection is to protect the system when its owner plugs up the filters.
Sounds like it worked.

So what are they going to fix? The filters were dirty becasue the new onwer felt they should only be cleaned once or twice a year.

I should go complain to Toyota, as my car ran out of gas and will no longer run.

So what are they going to fix? The filters were dirty becasue the new onwer felt they should only be cleaned once or twice a year.

I should go complain to Toyota, as my car ran out of gas and will no longer run.

They are going to fix the blower which doesn't work at all and I believe they're replacing the circlulating pump as well. We hadn't dragged anything in the tub and had only used it twice when the low flow messages started and eventually shut the system down. I think they agree that using a spa twice (with no oils or dirt) filters should not be very dirty in less than a month. They think I have a faulty circulating pump. Which also makes sense since the system keeps turning itself off and on and pulsing.

If your car ran out of gas without ever driving it, you might suspect a hole in your fuel tank. Or maybe you would just assume it evaporated.

They are going to fix the blower which doesn't work at all and I believe they're replacing the circlulating pump as well. We hadn't dragged anything in the tub and had only used it twice when the low flow messages started and eventually shut the system down. I think they agree that using a spa twice (with no oils or dirt) filters should not be very dirty in less than a month. They think I have a faulty circulating pump. Which also makes sense since the system keeps turning itself off and on and pulsing.

If your car ran out of gas without ever driving it, you might suspect a hole in your fuel tank. Or maybe you would just assume it evaporated.

That's true Etski, but when you mentioned you expected to only be cleaning the filters every 6 months or so, you gave me, and I suspect others, the impression that your expectations were a bit "aggressive".

Good luck with the tub. Let us know what the techs do and if it clears your problems up. :)

Thought I would just chime in since I had a similar problem to the one Etski had. I got the Low flow error which would shut off the heater and eventually shut down the tub.

My experience with Hydro Spa on the other hand was a little different. I got a person on the phone right away, talked to them a couple of times as they suggested a few ways to resolve the problem, and when those suggestions didn't work I had a new primary pump shipped out to me in 2 days and a local repair tech in the following day to replace the pump. (I do have to ship back the old pump myself, but they provided a box and UPS packing label so even that isn't too bad)

All-in-all for a service issue it was pretty painless.

I never needed to get Costco involved, or thought about returning the tub. The tub now works fine (and while i was on the phone with Hydro Spa i ordered 2 more filters so now i can swap and clean them every couple of weeks)

I have to say that all things considered I've been happy with the Platinum II. B)

-Matt

So hydrospa sent out 5 parts to me (totaling over $1000 on the invoice, but all under warranty) and they had me call a local pool and spa company to service the spa (also under warranty). The technician replaced one part, the blower motor, because apparently the original one had blown a gasket or something and that's why the air bubbles weren't working. He also thought the 2 stage jet motor sounded weak, but that wasn't one of the parts they had sent. We haven't used the tub lately so haven't had a recurrence of the pulsing motors problem, but he said to try and use the tub over the next week or so and see if the problem recurrs and ask hydrospa to sent out a 2 stage motor so they can replace that as well. It's good to know that hydrospa stands behind their warranty and dispatches local repair people, hopefully they will manage to get the spa in tip-top condition and it will never fail again. I'll give another update as it progresses. BTW, the repair guy said they have had numerous issues with the low flow message and feel it is a design flaw in the cross hatches below where the filter attaches. He says they've had to break them out on other peoples' tubs to improve the flow. I'm not wild about that idea, because I think the plastic pieces they break out could get loose and jam up somewhere else. I'll ask hydrospa about that as well because I wouldn't want to do anything that would void the warranty. Maybe they have a replacement part for that as well.

Well maybe I spoke too soon. I just went in to the hot tub like the repair guy requested and within 15 minutes the tub starting doing the pulsing motor thing. It seemed like it was only motor 2, (the single speed motor) that was pulsing. The 2 speed motor seemed ok, it even responded to controls and I could turn it on and off. The one that was pulsing on the other hand would not respond to the keypad and the only way to turn it off was to pull the gfi breaker. My only thought is that maybe it is the keypad control, because it only seemed to happen after that got slightly wet. That is one of the parts they sent, so maybe they have some waterproofing issues they know about. I hope so, because a hot tub that freaks out with a little water is truly bad design. I was the only one in the tub and I'm sure if there were 4 or 5 people in the tub, a little overflow would definitely wet that control quickly. It better be waterproof. Guess I'll see the spa guy again soon. Hopefully the tub will reset overnight with the gfi off since I can't even put power to the tub at this point because it goes right back into convulsions. The saga continues.

Explain the Costco Platinum Elite II spa -- First I am an experienced Spa owner and I will tell you that if you want a cheap spa, some headaches and can't afford a nice spa --- BUY THIS....

However, you will not have any customer service to speak of, filters will plug up just as any other filter but these filters can be clean and new and still give you a flow alarm. The technician says to drill out the waffle screen under the filter because the software wants more flow than the tub can give most of the time. The slightest dirt in filter will trip this - if it hasn't happened it will. Software doesn't change but the sensors will. I have replaced the blower, the jets, filters, and one side panel -- the cheap paneling buckles when its hot and then cold. It does heat up well and maintain the heat - but you can not use a spa blanket on top of the water. The spa will consistently turn on the jets and blower and designated times to cycle the water - this messes up the spa blanket. The stereo will work OK but once it gets some water around the remote -- good luck. If it does stop working just reset and unplug the power supply converter inside the front cover. If you do speak to a tech don't let them go -- its a far cry in heck that you got them on the phone so keep them. When my ultra violet light broke I made them stay with me while I verified it -- but if you know how they work you don't need to look at it to know it doesn't work - but under warranty you must follow the technician.

I have not had to have a tech come onsite and everything is under warranty so its only a pain in the @@@ if you don't want to have to work with it from time to time. It is not a spa you just simply maintain. The waterfall is useless and although adds a little character you will not use it like you thought.

By the way, I will sell mine if you really want it for a good deal.

PHone: 971.241.2353

I am interested in buying an Elite Spa Platinum but have a few questions that perhaps some of you may know the answers:

(a) Where are these hot tubs made including the parts ???

(B) The warranty excludes spas used outside USA (well I live in Canada)??

© Costco sells on a cash and carry basis. If there is damage to the tub how do you prove when the damage occurred??

(d) How do you get a list of dealers i.e if there is a warranty problem who is the contact. I am always wary when I can't get a list of dealers.

(e) With the spa lift, how much clear space at the side is required to operate the lift and place the cover at the side of the tub??

Certainly this spa appears to have many features especially for the price.

Dave,

We bought one in June and have had nothing but trouble. Hydrospa is horrible at customer service. Thank God for Costco return policy. Now we just have to get crane to remove the piece of junk. Save your time and money. Don't buy Platinum Elite. Don't even get me started on electrical bill. More than $125 during first month.

Javier

Anyone interested in the Platinum Elite just needs to check the post about problems. We bought one in June and have had the pulsing pump problem too. Hydrospa's service stinks big time. We're hoping Costco will cover cost of getting this turkey craned out of our yard. Either way its being returned.

Platinume Elite is junk waiting to happen. Costco return policy is excellent, but these are not TV's you can just cart bcak to the store.

Run far away from Platinum Elite and Hydrospa.

Javier

Dave,

We bought one in June and have had nothing but trouble. Hydrospa is horrible at customer service. Thank God for Costco return policy. Now we just have to get crane to remove the piece of junk. Save your time and money. Don't buy Platinum Elite. Don't even get me started on electrical bill. More than $125 during first month.

Javier

Anyone interested in the Platinum Elite just needs to check the post about problems. We bought one in June and have had the pulsing pump problem too. Hydrospa's service stinks big time. We're hoping Costco will cover cost of getting this turkey craned out of our yard. Either way its being returned.

Platinume Elite is junk waiting to happen. Costco return policy is excellent, but these are not TV's you can just cart bcak to the store.

Run far away from Platinum Elite and Hydrospa.

Javier

$125 for the first month???? <_<

I have had mine since the begining of July and I am in a very cool region and has already in the 20's at night and my electric has been between $25 and $30 extra a month. Not sure I buy that....

$100 + a month is a true figure for a poorly insulated tub in a cold climate for a month. My keys spa has maxed out to about $95 a month and I have friends with Costco and Gulf Coast that both say they've been over $100 last winter.

FWIW - The first month of spa ownership is always much higher than subsequent months.

B)

$100 + a month is a true figure for a poorly insulated tub in a cold climate for a month. My keys spa has maxed out to about $95 a month and I have friends with Costco and Gulf Coast that both say they've been over $100 last winter.

Yup, those numbers will occur on poorly insulated spas when it gets colder out. If you have such a spa you really should take the time to insulate the inside much better before winter sets in.

Yup, those numbers will occur on poorly insulated spas when it gets colder out. If you have such a spa you really should take the time to insulate the inside much better before winter sets in.

This is the 1st time I've ever posted anything, but my Platinum Spa (which I bought about a 16 mos ago from Costco) also cost about $100 extra during winter.

So far, I've haven't had any real troubles with the spa. Initially when I bought it there were some cracked panels, which Elite Spas was real good about sending replacements. But just before Labor Day 2006 my spa stopped working. My dad (an electrician) determined the ozone generator shorted out and he unplugged it, spa started working again. I called Elite Spas.....left a message with an answering service...never got a call back. Called one of the numbers on the web site 3 weeks ago and still no response. Supposedly electrical components are covered under warrenty for 2 years. But I'm at a loss as to how to get them to call me back :wacko:

But I'm at a loss as to how to get them to call me back :wacko:
I have found that a registered letter gets good results. Or a FedEx envelope with a letter inside along with a complete phone log of your messages left on Voice Mail, along with digital pictures of the non-functioning part seem to enphasize that you are serious about getting some response.

update, warranty repair crew came out for second visit, replaced spa kit, spa top control and replaced blower hose which had blown off. Things seem to be working. Did discover one foot jet is not working and one air control is not working. Hopefully those are easy fixes. Be persistent, call back often, hit O for Operator and don't hang up till you talk to someone, send emails and pray.

update, warranty repair crew came out for second visit, replaced spa kit, spa top control and replaced blower hose which had blown off. Things seem to be working. Did discover one foot jet is not working and one air control is not working. Hopefully those are easy fixes. Be persistent, call back often, hit O for Operator and don't hang up till you talk to someone, send emails and pray.

Keep the faith etski. I like your patience; I probably would have exploded by now if I would have paid $7000 for the HydroSpa Omni I was close to buying and had all the problems you've had!