How Do I Build Inground Swimming Pool?

chrisssteeven

QUOTE (jrandleas @ Feb 14 2010, 08:40 AM) QUOTE (chrisssteeven @ Feb 12 2010, 02:48 AM) Hi...

I have no experience in building an inground pool. First I would need to rip out the existing pool and start from scratch.Is it possible for someone with no experience could build an inground pool? Where on the internet could I learn how to do this?

go to and learn how to build a pool- its not something i would advise a person to do without any experience- you dont build a car to drive-you dont build your tv to watch or your lawnmower to cut grass so why risk thousands of dollars on something that a professional should be doing- and i use that word professional loosely- there are lots of socalled "pool builders" that call themselves professionals but really dont know what they should know in order to do a job correctly . its sad but true-

No. someone with no experience might be able to build an above -ground, but not an inground. Heck, I know builders who have been doing it for 10 years that still can't do it. Call for estimates, get references and call your local BBB for best deal, but if you try to do it yourself, 90% chance you'll end up having to get a contractor anyhow. It will cost more to "undo and redo" than it would have to just "do...."

Hi...

I have no experience in building an inground pool. First I would need to rip out the existing pool and start from scratch.Is it possible for someone with no experience could build an inground pool? Where on the internet could I learn how to do this?

What type of pool are you interested in installing it the old pools place?

Definitely NOT a good idea for someone to try building a swimming pool themselves. Buying a swimming pool from a reliable swimming pool builder would be your best bet. Some parts of the pool construction you might do yourself, if you're handy with masonry and other hardscape items as many people are this can save money and puts you in the action of building your own swimming pool. Overall, since an inground swimming pool isn't something you're going to return and most are quite expensive, you should work with a professional swimming pool contractor. For the basics, find out more about swimming pool planning and swimming pool designs

Chris, do you have any type of construction experience?

If you are familiar with construction, you may have a chance of building a pool. If you choose to do so, I would recommend hiring a pool professional to consult on the project. We offer a consulting service for this type of project, I would check around for local companies in your area.

This benefits you in a few ways, you will be able to get advice on equipment, plumbing sizing, and electrical advice. You also have the chance of having a relationship with a company who may be able to assist in certains areas of construction. DO NOT RELY ON THE INTERNET. At the very least, contact an architect familiar with pools.

Before you do anything, get a quote from a local pool company to build your pool you want. Then really look into the costs of you doing the pool yourself. And not just material and labor costs. But equipment and tools cost, time, and stress. You probably do not have a lot of the tools needed to build a pool. It will take at least twice the amount of time than you think. And it will be stressful.

You will learn on your own dime. If you hire a pool company, you get a fixed expense and you get the benefit of them knowing what their doing. In the few cases we consulted on, the few thousand dollar savings was not worth it. If your trying to save 3 to 5k by doing it yourself, you probably should think if you can really afford a pool. Once the pool is built you have the costs of operations and maintenance. Figure you are going to spend a few grand every year.

Good Luck!

I have been a lurker around here for the last couple of years and have learned a lot from my time. I felt that I needed to finaly chime in on something that I have some knowledge in.

Two years ago I was asking myself if I could build my own inground pool. I had never built one nor did I know anyone who had. I scoured the internet for information and learned all that I could. I went to the local pool store here and inquired how much they would charge to build the pool I wanted. They came in at the 40k range. They would also sell me the parts and 10 hours of consultation for about 30k.

Well this was still a bit out of my range so I pushed on and researched further.

On June 30th of that that year a semi backed into my yard and delivered the pool that I had ordered, over the internet. On July 30th I put the hose in it.

Now I am a school teacher so I have the summer off. I worked everyday for 8-12 hours to get it done this quick. In the end it turned out to be a better pool then what the pool store was going to build....lots of upgrades.

All said in done I came in a little under 20k for the entire project, including about 2000 sq feet of stained and stamped pool deck, which was not part of the pool stores quote.

Now does this mean everyone can do this? Well all I can say is that I am not a construction type guy by any means, after all I am teacher.

But I would say if you are like me and not afraid to get your hands dirty, not afraid to try new things, willing to make mistakes and learn from them, and willing to give up a lot of YOUR time then I say do it. There is plenty of information to be gleaned on the various pool forums on the net and the company I bought my kit from had a pool builder that I was able to call a few times to ask certain questions of.

I have been a lurker around here for the last couple of years and have learned a lot from my time. I felt that I needed to finaly chime in on something that I have some knowledge in.

Two years ago I was asking myself if I could build my own inground pool. I had never built one nor did I know anyone who had. I scoured the internet for information and learned all that I could. I went to the local pool store here and inquired how much they would charge to build the pool I wanted. They came in at the 40k range. They would also sell me the parts and 10 hours of consultation for about 30k.

Well this was still a bit out of my range so I pushed on and researched further.

On June 30th of that that year a semi backed into my yard and delivered the pool that I had ordered, over the internet. On July 30th I put the hose in it.

Now I am a school teacher so I have the summer off. I worked everyday for 8-12 hours to get it done this quick. In the end it turned out to be a better pool then what the pool store was going to build....lots of upgrades.

All said in done I came in a little under 20k for the entire project, including about 2000 sq feet of stained and stamped pool deck, which was not part of the pool stores quote.

Now does this mean everyone can do this? Well all I can say is that I am not a construction type guy by any means, after all I am teacher.

But I would say if you are like me and not afraid to get your hands dirty, not afraid to try new things, willing to make mistakes and learn from them, and willing to give up a lot of YOUR time then I say do it. There is plenty of information to be gleaned on the various pool forums on the net and the company I bought my kit from had a pool builder that I was able to call a few times to ask certain questions of.

Wow. What a great story. I never thought of the prefab pools but I suspect that is what you did. You are the man! I just wanted to add a comment the constructin mgr. said when building my pool (concrete). We were watching the excavator and it was quite impressive the percision with which he quided that large bucket. The mgr. said "you really have to be good to do this (excavate). They had a guy order a pool who ran a construction Co. and he ran and excavator all day. He said, I can excavate and save some money. The pool guy said they typically schedule 1 day for excavation. However, the construction guy messed up the excavation so much it took 3 days to fix his mistake." As noted above however, a prefab pool would eliminate this risk.