Nordic Xl Heat Failure & Lighting Issue

PFamily

Purchased the Nordic XL 1.5 years ago. GFI breaker just shut off and found tub at 95 degrees. We are upstate NY. Turned on electric, measures 230v at tub circuit board (each leg 115v) pump is running and tub is only holding temperature so long as we keep it covered. I'm thinking sensor, board or element. Waiting for a tech sometime this week. Anyone have similar issues and if so, what did you find?

Same tub... throughout life of tub, LED's at top not quite functioning perfectly with the first bank rarely the same as other three banks. Experiences or thoughts?

Any chance these are related issues?

Purchased the Nordic XL 1.5 years ago. GFI breaker just shut off and found tub at 95 degrees. We are upstate NY. Turned on electric, measures 230v at tub circuit board (each leg 115v) pump is running and tub is only holding temperature so long as we keep it covered. I'm thinking sensor, board or element. Waiting for a tech sometime this week. Anyone have similar issues and if so, what did you find?

Same tub... throughout life of tub, LED's at top not quite functioning perfectly with the first bank rarely the same as other three banks. Experiences or thoughts?

Any chance these are related issues?

I've had a similar issue with my LED's getting out of sequence on my Sundance so, no, these issues are probably not related.

When my Nordic DLX had GFCI troubles it turned out to be a very small leak near the heater. The collar used to screw the pipe to the heater wasn't maintaining a tight enough connection. The dripping water must've caused a brief short and that would trip the breaker. Good to see it work but it was a small hassle to find the leak. Replacing the collar was easy as it's a two piece assembly that fits around the pipe. Two screws to split the halves of the collar and a new one, with new seal, slipped right into place. Since that was fixed I've had no more mysterious GFCI tripping problems.

Can't speak to the LEDs as my tub's too old to have that option. I've been considering adding something though.

As for not reaching a high enough temp, mine just has that trouble. I fixed it by slightly moving the screw on the pressure switch. It was thinking the pressure wasn't high enough and wouldn't run the heater while in low-speed mode. Check yours, see if the heater light is coming on when the pump is in low speed. Then kick on the jets and see if the heater light comes on. If so then it's likely the pressure switch. Either adjust to replace.

When my Nordic DLX had GFCI troubles it turned out to be a very small leak near the heater. The collar used to screw the pipe to the heater wasn't maintaining a tight enough connection. The dripping water must've caused a brief short and that would trip the breaker. Good to see it work but it was a small hassle to find the leak. Replacing the collar was easy as it's a two piece assembly that fits around the pipe. Two screws to split the halves of the collar and a new one, with new seal, slipped right into place. Since that was fixed I've had no more mysterious GFCI tripping problems.

Can't speak to the LEDs as my tub's too old to have that option. I've been considering adding something though.

As for not reaching a high enough temp, mine just has that trouble. I fixed it by slightly moving the screw on the pressure switch. It was thinking the pressure wasn't high enough and wouldn't run the heater while in low-speed mode. Check yours, see if the heater light is coming on when the pump is in low speed. Then kick on the jets and see if the heater light comes on. If so then it's likely the pressure switch. Either adjust to replace.

On the heater (it's a silver pipe of likley stainless with 2 electrodes and 2 sensors) I do not see any light, don't know if those are the pressure switches and if so, how to adjust other than to remove. The voltage on the two electrodes is 87 and it should be 220v+ so the switch(s) or the board may be bad. It's under warrantee, at least for parts, so I may leave it to the tech, if they end up letting him come out on Nordic's dime. It's a 2008 and if you can help identify anything further, that would be appreciated. I see no leaking.

Well the news is that my heater and circuit board are intermittently fouled and need to be replaced. The good news is that with nominal discussion I heard directly from Nordic today that they are standing behind the unit, have already sent the parts to a local service technician whom I've previously met and know is reliable. Not so true for the dealer... and thus the factory is taking matters into their own hands. Score one (1+) plus for Nordic company! When I went to purchase my XL I made contact with Nordic and felt comfortable in those I spoke with. They remembered and made good. Nice to also see reliable and loyal company staff too, Bravo to the Nordic staff! Knowing this level of parts as I do, I know these issues happen and all one can ever hope for is a reliable company to stand behind their product. Thus far, it appears that Nordic is the real deal.

Stay tuned and I'll let you know when I have a successful repair.

Score one (1+) plus for Nordic company! When I went to purchase my XL I made contact with Nordic and felt comfortable in those I spoke with. They remembered and made good. Nice to also see reliable and loyal company staff too, Bravo to the Nordic staff!

I agree, they've been incredibly helpful and informative when I've called with questions. And that was even before the local dealer closed up shop. When the time comes for us to replace this tub we'll definitely be looking at another Nordic.

Final on the odyssey, Nordic engaged the technician I advised was likely superior in Dutchess County, NY and he did just fine. Nordic sent him the parts bypassing the dealership and the tech immediately installed the parts and the heat is back on. He did this with no delay. Nordic did not fool around, they swapped the board and heater and it appears they removed the dealership. I'm impressed with both Nordic and our Technician.

Lights... well they are still intermittent but I believe that now means the upper lights are a slight but tolerable problem and not the board. My tech if fearful of attempting to remove the tub from the case just to upgrade the upper lights and I agree with him. There is more that can go wrong that my caring about the lights being perfect. Why did this happen in the first place, I believe the dealership let their installers roll and bounce the tubs around versus a gentle placement. I questioned this during the install 1.5 years ago…

Final - Bravo Nordic and Ultra-Wire (the tech).