Floating Weir Ring Vs. Flapping Weir

CMACD

I did a quick search and wasn't able to find the info I was looking for.

-Tub 1 Hot Spot Tempo has a floating weir ring - 65sqft

-Tub 2 Sundance Hartford has a flapping weir - (2) 45 sqft filters

Both dealers claim theirs is a better filtration system and that the other brand will let dirty water back into my tub! Help!!

Both dealers claim theirs is a better filtration system and that the other brand will let dirty water back into my tub! Help!!

Someone's playing up their weir versus another? Maybe there is a reason this hasn't been covered. If they both have a weir I'd skip this.

Someone's playing up their weir versus another? Maybe there is a reason this hasn't been covered. If they both have a weir I'd skip this.

Are you saying this is a non-issue as long as it has a weir?

That would be my opinion.

That would be my opinion.

I think Weir on the same page..! hahaha..! :lol:

As a Hot Spring dealer, I've got two weirs. the Hot Spring vertical weir gate, and the Tiger River ring type weir. I've never seen that either of them is necessarily any better than the other. The whole point of the weir is to let water and stuff in while the jets run, and keep the 'stuff' in once the jets are off. So long as the weir works, it really doesn't matter.

I would not worry too much about this, a lot of dealers will say their spas filter the best. In the end they all do the job, because if they did not it would be a health and safety issue.

I personally do not like the floating weir ring IF the spa does not have a 24hr circ pump attached to it. If the floating weir ring is used on a therapy pump which heats and filters on low speed, it can create a vortex with the pump running on high. If the water level is even slightly low, a vortex (whirlpool) can form over the weir and cause air to be sucked into the pump. This might not happen to all spas with the FWR, it will depend on the flow rate into the filter. However, if there is not much flow into the filter, the filtering efficiency will be reduced. If the spa does use a 24hr circ pump, I don't think the weir type matters at all.