Canadian Winter & Enjoting The Spa

OttawaGreg

Here in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, it will get cold tonight. It is now -15 degrees Celsius, which is 5 deg. Fahrenheit. It's going down to -22 C which is around -5 F. With the wind it feels cooler.

I went out tonight as I needed to top up the bleach anyhow, so as my wife was saying "are you crazy" I headed out like a polar bear and jumped into the tub. I find it harder to get in then get out as when you are finally ready to leave the tub your body is so warm right to the bone that you don't feel a thing on our way back inside. My tub was at max tonight, 104-105F.

I enjoyed it allot and wore a wool hat just too keep extra warm because of the wind.

Just wondering what my other Canuck hot tub enthusiasts are doing? I hope you are taking the leap and going in even though the weather is not so friendly, as I've found it takes a bit of nerve but it's worth it.

Greg

Jut got inside from a nice inter soak. -2° F here in Minnesota, with a -15° windchill. But pure toasty in the tub. I haven;t missed a night thus far, even when temps were around -15° F without the windchill.

The only thing that keeps me in is strong, or persistent winds that blow snow in your face. Othwer wise, I don't even use a hat.

I love it.

Hehe, while you guys were enjoying a soaking last night I was refilling my tub in -18! Wind chill not included :P

My Onzen Version 7 got installed a couple of days ago. Got to dump in the salt tonight!

Tonsoffun,

Had my Onzen V7 installed on Monday. Cleaned and refilled the tub on Tuesday. Added salt on Wednesday and went in Thursday night. It was great as I had not been able to use the tub for over a week. Had to wait a week for installation as the Onzen V7 part was back-ordered. New Onzen is pumping away. Water is clear and clean.

Enjoy.

Hehe, while you guys were enjoying a soaking last night I was refilling my tub in -18! Wind chill not included :P

My Onzen Version 7 got installed a couple of days ago. Got to dump in the salt tonight!

I am seriously hoping I never need to dump water in that cold a weather! Yikes. Did you have to do anything special to protect your plumbing from freezing or cracking? Or did you just do it very fast?

I am curious about these salt water systems. How long do they go before you need to dump and refill? I am using the Dychlor/Bleach method and hope to go 6 months, so May 1st when it's warmed up i'll be cleaning house...

Greg

I am seriously hoping I never need to dump water in that cold a weather! Yikes. Did you have to do anything special to protect your plumbing from freezing or cracking? Or did you just do it very fast?

I am curious about these salt water systems. How long do they go before you need to dump and refill? I am using the Dychlor/Bleach method and hope to go 6 months, so May 1st when it's warmed up i'll be cleaning house...

Greg

Lummer,

I had to wait a week as well for the Version 7 to come in and Andrew installed it on Tuesday. Ya you don't want to be changing water in this weather, I almost overflowed water because I was cozy on the coach waiting for it to fill.

Greg,

I had to leave a space heater in the cabinet for all the lines. After the install Andrew had the heater running for me and had to wait 48 hours before re-filling.

I opened one of the cabinet doors to take out the heater and you wouldn't believe how it held the heat in there, just amazing.

They say up to six months before needing to empty and refill.

We will see how it works out!

Went in a couple of times this year at around -30c. The wind where I live in Cochrane, just north west of Calgary, pretty much always comes from the west, so I built up a 6' wind guard on that side of the tub to cut it down. I was impressed with the Jacuzzi's ability to keep the temperature up for over an hour uncovered at this temperature. No hat or anything, hair does turn pretty frosty though. There is nothing quite like sitting in a hot tub outside while watching people walk by in their winter parkas.

Here in Ottawa Ontario, Canada, it will get cold tonight. It is now -15 degrees Celsius, which is 5 deg. Fahrenheit. It's going down to -22 C which is around -5 F. With the wind it feels cooler.

I went out tonight as I needed to top up the bleach anyhow, so as my wife was saying "are you crazy" I headed out like a polar bear and jumped into the tub. I find it harder to get in then get out as when you are finally ready to leave the tub your body is so warm right to the bone that you don't feel a thing on our way back inside. My tub was at max tonight, 104-105F.

I enjoyed it allot and wore a wool hat just too keep extra warm because of the wind.

Just wondering what my other Canuck hot tub enthusiasts are doing? I hope you are taking the leap and going in even though the weather is not so friendly, as I've found it takes a bit of nerve but it's worth it.

Greg

Hey Greg,

We have been out most nights regardless of weather here in Ottawa as well. It's awesome - I agree though, that 5 second walk getting to the tub is pretty chilly when its really cold - getting out is fine. When the wind is strong and the temp below -10c we have the tuques on - otherwise they are not needed. I must say we are enjoying the tub even more than we thought - drinks after skiing / boarding have never been better!

Greg

When I refilled mine I didn't do anything and I didn't get any leaks. I found this ironic because I had a leak at the drain plug when the heater was on. I've since covered it with one of those faucet styrofoam cover things that mostly block the wind out.

A handy tip that can be very useful in a "hmmm. What do I do now??" situation - I had to refill but had some serious frozen spots in the hose - so I took my sump hose (you could also use a shop vac hose if it's not filthy) to fill a sterilite container with toasty hot water to melt the hose. However, the caveat emptor is to dump the water or you'll end up with a really great and giant clean block of ice!

• 2 weeks later...

I love tubbing in the winter. Last night was amazing. It was lightly snowing and there was no wind. My head had a layer of snow on it.

I'm not huge on the cold when it's windy. My house is in a new subdivision and there are no trees to block the wind. It sucks. Behind us is a field with no trees so we have nothing to break the wind. We'll debate a fence in the spring, but I'm not sure what will be best. I'll probably take some pics in the spring and get advice from the forum.

There is no wind today. I'm ready to jump in the tub.

I love tubbing in the winter. Last night was amazing. It was lightly snowing and there was no wind. My head had a layer of snow on it.

I'm not huge on the cold when it's windy. My house is in a new subdivision and there are no trees to block the wind. It sucks. Behind us is a field with no trees so we have nothing to break the wind. We'll debate a fence in the spring, but I'm not sure what will be best. I'll probably take some pics in the spring and get advice from the forum.

I guess by luck we bought a house that had cedar hedges 6 feet tall. They have since grown to a think and tall 10 feet and do a decent job of keeping the wind out. They can't stop it but it helps. When it's very windy I don't bother to go out as it takes all the rising steam away.. hence no fun..

It's a balmy -5 tonight so the wife has our neighbor over. I find it feels better below -10.

happy winter tubbing!

Greg

Greg

Feels great taking the leap at -20C. Make sure to drink those Labatt Blues quickly before they start freezing outside. . .

Cheers

• 3 weeks later...

I also don't have much for wind breaks. ( the fence is only half built.) So what I've done to get by till spring breakup is moved the camper over by the hot tub, and put up a couple of tarps, one from the camper to the rail on my steps, one from the camper to a nearby tree.

Between that, and when the tub cover is flipped up, the wind is pretty much blocked from all four directions. Works fantastic, albeit looks a little like "tent city". lol. Also makes it VERY private.... B)