Opnions? Words Of Wisdom?

gordholio99

Hi everyone:

So, I need a new hot tub 'cause my old one died. :-(

I've done a lot of research into the reliability of various manufacturers, have read tons of material online, and have visited every single hot tub shop in my area. I'm not looking for pop-up TVs or audio systems, and I don't neeed a kazillion jets. I want a good, solid tub (with a lounger) that'll last a long time and cost very little to service and operate. I'm really torn between full foam and non-full-foam cabinets. The former probably delivers better insulative qualities, but the latter is definitely easier to work on.

The thing is - it's really tough to decide. Dealers will tell you what they want to tell you, and there doesn't appear to be any true, authorative studies of reliability or energy-efficiency. But I have gained a lot though reading this and other discussion forums.

Anyway, after factoring limited local availability, cost, design, and personal viewing and wet testing (and dealer competency - there's at least one very good brand that I just won't buy locally because I don't like the dealer), I've whittled it down to these tubs:

HotSpring Envoy, Jacuzzi J-335, Beachcomber 550, H2O Radium. The first two are manufactured by two of the long-time industry leaders who just about always appear when someone in these forums gives an opinion of the better tubs on the market. I am, however, a bit worried that they both seem to have more proprietary parts than the others. Might be a bit of a hassle or more pricey for after-warranty service. Beachcomber also rates highly, especially in my area (I don't live far from their manufacturing facility), but I do think they're a bit old school when it comes to designing tubs. The skirting, for instance, does not have easily-opened panels for servicing. H2O is a smaller outfit, but they use real high-end parts and I like their concept of using easily-removeable Roxul for insulation. I also had a chance to tour their plant yesterday and was impressed. Still, they're relatively new (though founded by people from Beachcomber and Pacific Spas) and smallish. In that sense, I would miss the relative security of one of the industry's giants.

I've struck good deals on all of the above, so price doesn't really enter into it.

I'm going mental without a tub, so I want to make a decision within the next few days. I definitely want to stick with one of those four, but if anyone more knowledgeable than I would care to offer an opinion, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us non-professionals better make their decision.

Hi everyone:

So, I need a new hot tub 'cause my old one died. :-(

I've done a lot of research into the reliability of various manufacturers, have read tons of material online, and have visited every single hot tub shop in my area. I'm not looking for pop-up TVs or audio systems, and I don't neeed a kazillion jets. I want a good, solid tub (with a lounger) that'll last a long time and cost very little to service and operate. I'm really torn between full foam and non-full-foam cabinets. The former probably delivers better insulative qualities, but the latter is definitely easier to work on.

The thing is - it's really tough to decide. Dealers will tell you what they want to tell you, and there doesn't appear to be any true, authorative studies of reliability or energy-efficiency. But I have gained a lot though reading this and other discussion forums.

Anyway, after factoring limited local availability, cost, design, and personal viewing and wet testing (and dealer competency - there's at least one very good brand that I just won't buy locally because I don't like the dealer), I've whittled it down to these tubs:

HotSpring Envoy, Jacuzzi J-335, Beachcomber 550, H2O Radium. The first two are manufactured by two of the long-time industry leaders who just about always appear when someone in these forums gives an opinion of the better tubs on the market. I am, however, a bit worried that they both seem to have more proprietary parts than the others. Might be a bit of a hassle or more pricey for after-warranty service. Beachcomber also rates highly, especially in my area (I don't live far from their manufacturing facility), but I do think they're a bit old school when it comes to designing tubs. The skirting, for instance, does not have easily-opened panels for servicing. H2O is a smaller outfit, but they use real high-end parts and I like their concept of using easily-removeable Roxul for insulation. I also had a chance to tour their plant yesterday and was impressed. Still, they're relatively new (though founded by people from Beachcomber and Pacific Spas) and smallish. In that sense, I would miss the relative security of one of the industry's giants.

I've struck good deals on all of the above, so price doesn't really enter into it.

I'm going mental without a tub, so I want to make a decision within the next few days. I definitely want to stick with one of those four, but if anyone more knowledgeable than I would care to offer an opinion, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks in advance, and thanks to everyone who takes the time to help us non-professionals better make their decision.

Which one felt best on your butt? Both pocketbook and comfort?

Roger is right - what feels best to YOU is what matters most.

Also look for reliability, energy efficiency,and a GOOD dealer that you trust.

I'm biased toward HotSpring. IMO they are at the top for the above features.

Everyone is different in how a spa feels - some like loungers, some don't, etc.

Best bet is to wet test the models you are leaning toward, find what feels best and then factor in the features, etc.

Good Luck

Gord,

I talked with Mark up at H20 he said you came in.... i posted a reply on your earlier post, go with one that fits you the best. I just ordered an H2O that i sold yesterday , if there was a question of this company possibly not being there in the future i would not have sold this spa....but i am glad you got to check out the factory, i heard from Mark that he is adding a large factory showroom bigger than it is right now....i do not think you can go wromg wtih this company

Yikes. 90 views and just one reply. Is it my breath?

Hey Roger, maybe you're right. Maybe at this point it comes down to that.

Roger is right on the mark if you're comparing well made spas. IMO Hot Srping, Jacuzzi and Beachcomber are 3 of the best spas available today and maybe H2O is an up and coming spa maker (I've never seen one so I can't say much). As long as you're dealing with reputable spas the key becomes finding the one that is right for you and from a dealer you trust will be there after the sale.

Thanks guys. You know, I have a Beachcomber tub right now that's survived nearly 23 years. (!!) The *only* reason I'm moving on is that the motor/pump/heater assembly kicked the proverbial bucket after 13 years on the job. The tub itself hasn't caused me any grief. Not even a leak. But...it has just four (4) jets and a pneumatic control system that's a total pain to access. And yeah, it doesn't even have a working light, never mind some cool LEDs. :-)

When I got into the search for a new model, I figured $5000 might get me something decent. Well, it doesn't. So maybe I'm just trying to justify parting with 9000 of my hard-earned dollars.

But the concensus here is that I'm looking at some of the most reliable manufactueres on the market, and I've certainly done my research. I guess it's purely my decision now.

Gulp.

gordo

Thanks guys. You know, I have a Beachcomber tub right now that's survived nearly 23 years. (!!) The *only* reason I'm moving on is that the motor/pump/heater assembly kicked the proverbial bucket after 13 years on the job. The tub itself hasn't caused me any grief. Not even a leak. But...it has just four (4) jets and a pneumatic control system that's a total pain to access. And yeah, it doesn't even have a working light, never mind some cool LEDs. :-)

When I got into the search for a new model, I figured $5000 might get me something decent. Well, it doesn't. So maybe I'm just trying to justify parting with 9000 of my hard-earned dollars.

But the concensus here is that I'm looking at some of the most reliable manufactueres on the market, and I've certainly done my research. I guess it's purely my decision now.

Gulp.

gordo

You can get a pretty decent Beach for 6-7 grand.