More Filter Cleaning Questions

lpad

about to clean our filters for the first time. Because it's winter and freezing here, we cannot use a power washer. What else can we do?

Secondly, I have read the recommendations for tsp as a cleaning solution, and also the cascade powdered dish detergent. However, I have the gel kind of Cascade (it does have phosphates)...how much would i use of that per gallon (or per 5 gallons).

Lastly, I also have some STPP (sodium tripolyphosphate) powder on hand, which I use as a laundry additive. Can I make a solution of that to clean the filters, and if so, how much do I add per gallon? It is just pure STPP, which I purchased from the chemistry store. In my laundry I use about an ounce (2 Tbs) per load.

thanks!

I've used TSP, 1 cup in five gallons, dissolved in hot, 100F, water on the filters I use in my home's water system, the filters are the very similar to my spa filters, same material, though there are many more pleats than my spa filters.

I'd been using Spa filter cleaner, purchased at my local spa supply, and that worked alright, but at $18.00 for a 16 oz bottle, I wanted something a bit less expensive.

I used some "spent" filters, ones that I'd tried to clean before with little success. After an overnight soak in TSP they came out almost like new!

Just rinse them off with the garden hose afterwards and let them air dry.

Dave

I bought a hand held shower head with a power sprayer option. Works pretty good considering the hose is packed away, but it's a bit awkward to use since you have to hold the filter in one hand the the shower head in the other.

I tried TSP for cleaning my filter last time and for the first time in the tub, I noticed foam. I'm guessing I didn't rinse it well enough, but I sprayed the crap out of it. I change my filter weekly due to the chemical I use. The filter has never looked really dirty.

• 2 weeks later...

thank you. what I am trying to find out is how much liquid (gel) cascade to use, since that is what I buy. And also it seems that it's the phosphates doing the cleaning. I have phosphates in the form of STPP. Need a chem person to tell me if I can use that in solution to accomplish the cleaning (and how much to use?). Again, because it's what I already have on hand.

any input from the chem guys? thanks!