Spa Blanket Recommendation

pkillur

So, I'm looking into a spa blanket, does anyone like any particular brand over another? Also, in these crazy sub-sub-sub freezing temps, do you have to take them inside or something when you use the spa? I would think they would freeze wherever you put them.

I have been curious about this as well. I just figured if I had one, I would fold it back over the cover while tub in use.?.?.?

So, I'm looking into a spa blanket, does anyone like any particular brand over another? Also, in these crazy sub-sub-sub freezing temps, do you have to take them inside or something when you use the spa? I would think they would freeze wherever you put them.

I have been curious about this as well. I just figured if I had one, I would fold it back over the cover while tub in use.?.?.?

I'm sure it's more of an outside temp common sense thing, but I had my watch (which is fortunately very water resistant) freeze onto the cover while I was in the tub on thursday. Temps were like 5 degrees here in Colorado. I suppose one could just splash a little water onto the cover to dislodge it too.

I'm sure it's more of an outside temp common sense thing, but I had my watch (which is fortunately very water resistant) freeze onto the cover while I was in the tub on thursday. Temps were like 5 degrees here in Colorado. I suppose one could just splash a little water onto the cover to dislodge it too.

Im just thinking that if you have a cover lifter.... open the cover, then place the blanket onto the cover and align it where if it does freeze to the cover all you have to do is close the cover. The heat will then thaw it and let it fall back onto the water.

I dont know if that will actually work right or not.

Some of you more experienced folks come on in and help us out!

Im just thinking that if you have a cover lifter.... open the cover, then place the blanket onto the cover and align it where if it does freeze to the cover all you have to do is close the cover. The heat will then thaw it and let it fall back onto the water.

I dont know if that will actually work right or not.

Some of you more experienced folks come on in and help us out!

So, I'm looking around and seeing if there is a DIY kinda method for this. All the non-bubble-wrap type of of blankets seem to be made from closed cell foam. This website (foamorder.com) seems to sell it at 1/2 inch lengths, but the catch is that it's only 60 inches wide. My spa is 80ish inches wide, so I'm wondering if you buy two pieces and bond them together. One of the places I looked at mentioned that anything over 5 feet (60 inches) are "welded" together, aka chemical bond. I bet I could plastaid the pieces together, I love that stuff!

For $50 bucks plus shipping it looks like I cloud have a build-a-cover special. I just have to figure out how to bind the pieces together...

So, I'm looking around and seeing if there is a DIY kinda method for this. All the non-bubble-wrap type of of blankets seem to be made from closed cell foam. This website (foamorder.com) seems to sell it at 1/2 inch lengths, but the catch is that it's only 60 inches wide. My spa is 80ish inches wide, so I'm wondering if you buy two pieces and bond them together. One of the places I looked at mentioned that anything over 5 feet (60 inches) are "welded" together, aka chemical bond. I bet I could plastaid the pieces together, I love that stuff!

For $50 bucks plus shipping it looks like I cloud have a build-a-cover special. I just have to figure out how to bind the pieces together...

$50 to make one yourself??? That's about the cost of a 7' X 7' closed cell foam blanket from Doc (I actually got mine for free when I bought my cover lifter from rhtubs.com but they no longer have that deal). When the first one started to come apart at the welded seam (after about 3 months), I emailed Doc and he shipped me another. Second one has been fine. I'm all about DIY but this one's a no-brainer.

Sandi

BTW - Our night temps go into the 20s but are not extreme. We just fold back the hard cover, fold the blanket back over the cover, use the lifter to open the cover, and leave the blanket laying on the cover while we soak. No problems with the blanket freezing.

Sandi

I ordered the foam blanket from Robert's hot tubs. It has been great. It is a very heavy foam and stays in place even when the jets come on during the filtration cycle. When we use the tub we just hang the blanket over the cover. Often, when I am in the tub just by myself, I just leave the blanket on and slide in underneath with just my head above it. It really cuts down on the amount of steam coming off the tub.

floating thermal blanket

I ordered the foam blanket from Robert's hot tubs. It has been great. It is a very heavy foam and stays in place even when the jets come on during the filtration cycle. When we use the tub we just hang the blanket over the cover. Often, when I am in the tub just by myself, I just leave the blanket on and slide in underneath with just my head above it. It really cuts down on the amount of steam coming off the tub.

floating thermal blanket

Hey Grace / Dr. Spa - I'm interested in this floating blanket also, as my electric bill has certainly gone up this last month with the cold weather.

Two questions...

1. Is the blanket negatively affected by an ozonator?

2. Grace - did you see any reduction in your electric bill since using this blanket?

floating thermal blanket

Hey Grace / Dr. Spa - I'm interested in this floating blanket also, as my electric bill has certainly gone up this last month with the cold weather.

Two questions...

2. Grace - did you see any reduction in your electric bill since using this blanket?

1. We've had our blanket from rhtubs for about a year and a half and have not noticed the ozonator having any effect on it so far.

2. Can't address this question b/c it's hard to compare 2 different winters as far as temperatures and b/c we've always had a blanket (had a thinner one the first winter and then replaced it with the thicker one the 2nd winter). But it absolutely cuts down on evaporation and keeps condensation from getting to the underside of the hard cover, both of which are good things.

Two questions...

The ozonator has not seemed to have any effect so far. The blanket has been in place since November, there is no deterioration or discolouration where the ozonator bubbles hit the blanket.

This is our first winter with a hot tub so I don't know what our bill would be without a blanket. Sometimes I leave the blanket on and sit under it with just my head sticking out. If I happen to get a puddle of water on top of the blanket it will cool down to icy cold from the outside air fairly quickly, which shows that the heat from the water underneath is not going through the blanket. Also just having it on while I am sitting in the tub reduces the amount of steam (heat) escaping into the air so I hope that is saving me money. It gets very cold here, sometimes down to -30 Celsius (or colder). I was very concerned about the energy use of the tub that is why I wanted a blanket. I have not seen a huge jump in my hydro bills since having the hot tub.