Filter Confusion

canucker

We had our new Arctic Summit installed on November 20th and we just did our first empty and re-fill on New Year's Day. The filter we took out was not the same as the filter we put in...even though we asked for the correct disposable one at the Arctic store, and bought 3 for $100. (supposedly to last 9 months total?). The one we took out was in a cartridge, or casing...top and bottom had plastic inserts. The ones we bought at the store are just the 'cloth' filters, with no casing. When I phoned the store back they said that the original factory installed filters had "issues" and had been recalled, but that they would be back on the shelf 'soon'. Sooo, now I'm left wondering which filter we should really be using. Of course the guy at the store says either one is just fine....but I'm left wondering. Does anybody know about which filter is best? I was told both are no-maintenance (ie don't take it out periodically to rinse).

We had our new Arctic Summit installed on November 20th and we just did our first empty and re-fill on New Year's Day. The filter we took out was not the same as the filter we put in...even though we asked for the correct disposable one at the Arctic store, and bought 3 for $100. (supposedly to last 9 months total?). The one we took out was in a cartridge, or casing...top and bottom had plastic inserts. The ones we bought at the store are just the 'cloth' filters, with no casing. When I phoned the store back they said that the original factory installed filters had "issues" and had been recalled, but that they would be back on the shelf 'soon'. Sooo, now I'm left wondering which filter we should really be using. Of course the guy at the store says either one is just fine....but I'm left wondering. Does anybody know about which filter is best? I was told both are no-maintenance (ie don't take it out periodically to rinse).

The lifespan of disposable filters can vary with water conditions and bather load, but 3-4 months is not abnormal. There was no filter "recall", this salesperson was misinformed perhaps. Either one of the two filters you described is fine, and gives fairly similar performance. Most Arctic dealers worldwide will carry the end-capped versions moving forward.

Regards,

Vern

Use the end capped filters, Sentinel is the name. The none end capped filters have a

habit of coming apart when in use, a real mess to clean up.

Cheers

Thanks for that, I'm going to return the non-capped filters. Interestingly they are just wrapped in clear plastic, with no brand name or manufacturer on them, so I think they must be just "no name" brands or something.

Also, while we're on the filter topic, the dealer sold me a bottle of "anti foam" liquid stuff when I complained about bubbles previous to our first empty/re-fill...when I got home I read in the owner's manual that anti-foaming/bubble treatments ARE NOT to be used with disposable filters. So, here again the learning curve continues and the dealer keeps leading me astray!!! I'm not very happy about the flippant attitude and post-purchase expenditures that are pushed on innocent spa newbies. This same dealer told me he had "no idea what a Taylor water test kit" is when I inquired about it's benefit over the standard test strips. I am quickly losing confidence in the Arctic sales people in my local outlet.