Need Advice On A Hot Tub Deal

steelerfan

We are a first time hot tub buyer. I have been reading all of the posts on different models and methods on buying a hot tub. Yesterday, my wife and I stopped by a large local hot tub retailer. We began talking with the sales person about the different models and landed on a "floor model clearance". The retail price was $9699, sale price $8199 and the floor model clearance price was $5595. This included cover, steps, chemicals and cover lift. The model was Cal Spa Escape III 864L.

Here are some of my questions or concerns.

1. On paper, this sounds like a great deal, but within 15 min, they even dropped the price further to $5299. To me this sounds too good to be true and we all know what that means.

2. It seems like to get a good quality hot tub you need to spend about $6000 - $8000. What price is this based on? Is this the retail price, the sale price or the final price that a consumer pays?

3. I have not read a lot of good things about Cal Spas. This could be the reason for the low price, but are they that bad?

Other comments related to this deal or other deals people have encountered are welcome.

Thanks

If you read thru some posts over the last couple of months, it seems as though the wholesale cost of a mid range spa without a lot of options may very well be in the $3,000-$4,000 range, or possibly even slightly lower, so a $5,500 sales prices doesn't seem that abnormal. Also, spa dealers seem to work a lot like used car salesmen, so your experiences sound normal, based on my limited experience, but lots of reading this forum.

That tub is not a $9600 tub the price that it is at for clearance is about the proper price for that tub. The Escape series is a mid level tub. If you look at the Cal website the spas are listed in top quality & price to lowest. The Escape series is below the Avalons but above the Victory. The Avalons are not great quality IMO and the Victory was the entry level just a couple years ago. For the price that its goin for it is a good tub but dont be fooled that you are getting "$10,000 tub" for half.

Here's the link for the tub in question for those interested http://www.calspas.com/detail_spas.asp?spaID=297

Our market prices the 7' eclipse tubs in the mid $5k range cash and carry (without steps / lift / delivery / etc.) Low 5's for an 8' eclipse with all the fixin's sounds like a pretty good deal assuming it carries an as-new warranty. It's prob not a top shelf brand, but Cal moves a lot of product. 5 yr from now your $5k Cal will be worth about the same as a $10k tub right next to it in the showroom.

We are a first time hot tub buyer. I have been reading all of the posts on different models and methods on buying a hot tub. Yesterday, my wife and I stopped by a large local hot tub retailer. We began talking with the sales person about the different models and landed on a "floor model clearance". The retail price was $9699, sale price $8199 and the floor model clearance price was $5595. This included cover, steps, chemicals and cover lift. The model was Cal Spa Escape III 864L.

Here are some of my questions or concerns.

1. On paper, this sounds like a great deal, but within 15 min, they even dropped the price further to $5299. To me this sounds too good to be true and we all know what that means.

2. It seems like to get a good quality hot tub you need to spend about $6000 - $8000. What price is this based on? Is this the retail price, the sale price or the final price that a consumer pays?

3. I have not read a lot of good things about Cal Spas. This could be the reason for the low price, but are they that bad?

Other comments related to this deal or other deals people have encountered are welcome.

Thanks

1) The spa was never 9700 and I gotta believe it was never 8200 if its selling for 5300 now. Any spa that sells for 8200 regularly does not drop to 5300 when they want to clear it out. It may be a decent deal relative to what it sold for a few months ago but thats tough to say.

2) Quality does not necessarily go hand in hand with price. There are many expensive spas out there I wouldn't touch.

3) I think there are better options out there. Cal got their reputation over many years and while some want to say they've improved I think there are still better options out there.

Do you really want this spa or are you just thinking if its a good deal you should get it. You have one chance to do this right. Make sure what you get is something you TRULY want (separate from the price) and make sure you think you're getting a quality spa from a reputable spa maker and a good dealer. If these things are not evident don't buy just because the spa is selling for less than it was a few months ago because buyers remorse lasts a LONG time.

I agree with the previous comments, a spa doesn't drop from nearly $10k to the $5,000 price range simply to move it off the floor to make room for newer models. Like spatech said, "I think there are better options out there." I think you could find a spa from a much higher quality manufacturer for not much more than the price of this one and it would be a much better investment as far as longevity and quality.