True That Devcon From Watkins Diff. Than Devcon I Can Buy Online Elsewhere?

AMG

The tech at Watkins told me that while you can find the same DevCon epoxy online for cheaper, the stuff that I get through them with their repair kits is *special*. He said it is a special formula to work with chlorinated water. Is this really true? Do I need to be paying extra for this? If it is true, then I have no choice, but otherwise if it is BS, then I can buy DevCon elsewhere for cheaper.

I'm honestly not sure, however a good point of contact would be DevCon.

http://www.devcon.com/contact/

Technical Service: 800-933-8266

Customer Service: 800-626-7226

You can at least ask them if their normal DevCon kit is designed to withstand Chlorine and other corrosives.

I'm honestly not sure, however a good point of contact would be DevCon.

http://www.devcon.com/contact/

Technical Service: 800-933-8266

Customer Service: 800-626-7226

You can at least ask them if their normal DevCon kit is designed to withstand Chlorine and other corrosives.

Good call. I sent them a message on their Contact form. I'll post here with what they say.

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure it's Devcon DA291, which is a plastic bonding adhesive. $12 online. HP250 would do it too, but its a 2:1 mix, I think it needs a special gun and it's a little more expensive.

Just about any epoxy you buy will be corrosion resistant at the chemical exposure levels we're talking about in a hot tub. Levels aren't that much higher than ordinary drinking water. Peel strength / hardness / UV resistance are another story though. Whatever you do, don't buy the junk at the hardware store. Stick with what Devcon recommends, which will be an industrial product.