Spasearch Certified Endorsements Announced

Tom

INTERNATIONAL POOL & SPA EXPO, LAS VEGAS, NOVEMBER 2006 - As proof of their longtime commitments to excellence, five hot tub manufacturers have received the coveted Spasearch Certified award - the only independent customer endorsement in the hot tub industry. Marquis Spas, Hot Spring Spas, Caldera Spas, Dimension One Spas and Arctic Spas are the first hot tub manufacturers to satisfy the rigorous certification standards.

These companies represent the top 10% of hot tub manufacturers currently operating in the United States. Completely independent and based solely on customer surveys, the only way for hot tub manufacturers to earn Spasearch Certified status is to demonstrate excellence on every level from product reliability straight through to consumer satisfaction.

To maintain complete impartiality, all results were tabulated through a team of third-party auditors, ensuring that this certification was fairly won rather than influenced by advertising dollars. “Having an annual independent endorsement program is long overdue,” says David Wood, Editor-in-Chief of Spasearch Magazine™. “For years our industry has been plagued with unaccredited sources that offer awards based on paid advertising or other financial consideration. We are delighted to offer this unique program to hot tub manufacturers and consumers alike.”

Sixteen additional hot tub manufacturers are currently under evaluation for the award and winners will be recognized in the spring 2007 issue of Spasearch Magazine™.

Full details at:

http://www.bigfishpublications.com/PDF/End...ntWinnersPR.pdf

http://www.spasearch.org/awards.php

I think it important to also mention that this is not a Consumers Reports type "award". A manufacturer first needs to pay a pretty hefty amount just to be considered for this award.

The fee was $4995 USD, which is hardly "hefty".

There were, however, other restrictive requirements. The manufacturer must

* have been registered under the same tax ID number for at least three years

* be a current member in good standing of a professional spa organization or the BBB or the NSBA

* offer a minimum warranty of 7 yrs structure, 5 yrs surface, 3 yrs components

* have all hot tubs sold in NA meet UL, ETL, or CSA compliance

* offer continuing classroom education, exceeding 8 hours per year, for dealers (IMO this is weak)

* offer a minimum of six hours per day of live toll-free telephone support, Mon - Fri

* Have at least 75 dealers with permanent outdoor signage, at least one operational spa for wet test, and a minimum of four different spas on display OR

* Have a minimum of 15 dedicated territory reps, conduct on-site home inspections, and can document at least $150K in the last year spent on marketing, promotion, and advertising.

You can see that this would eliminate smaller manufacturers, new startups, curbers, resalers, and assorted riffraff

And the final requirement:

* Manufacturer will agree to have a questionnaire and internet link forwarded to a random, national sample of customers who have purchased a hot tub in the last 24 months

* A minimum of 300 completed surveys must be received (and at an anticipated 10% return, that means at least 3000 customers must receive the survey)

* Homeowners will complete and return the survey to a third-party market research firm to tabulate the results and validate the audit

* Spasearch will receive results from the auditors and notify the participating manufacturers of PASS or FAIL status on their application.

The third party auditors were

* The University of Texas, Arlington TX

* Market Connections, Inc., Fairfax VA

* Click Survey LLC, Ramona, CA

Dang man. They sent me "all" the info on this, and even called me to solicit the 5 grand. At no time were any of these things mentioned. ummmmmmmm, I don't even manufacture a product that can be listed by UL (because it's assembled on site) so I couldn't possibly "receive an award" anyways.......... Think they would have bothered telling me this BEFORE I wrote them a check? 4 of the other "restrictive requirements" I also don't meet. (no BBB, no classroom training, less than 75 dealers, and for SURE no $150k annual advertising budget. Yuppers, it definitely eliminates the smaller manufacturers. Of which I am one. And by the way, there are some VERY good "smaller manufacturers" out there, and I'm talking about companies other than mine...

Right up until now I was still considering it. Do I sound a wee bit miffed? Yes I am. They tried to convince me to write them a $5k check without even prequalifying me first.

You know, that last requirement almost sounds like it was added for one, and only one, very specific manufacturer.

The fee was $4995 USD, which is hardly "hefty".

There were, however, other restrictive requirements. The manufacturer must

* have been registered under the same tax ID number for at least three years

* be a current member in good standing of a professional spa organization or the BBB or the NSBA

* offer a minimum warranty of 7 yrs structure, 5 yrs surface, 3 yrs components

* have all hot tubs sold in NA meet UL, ETL, or CSA compliance

* offer continuing classroom education, exceeding 8 hours per year, for dealers (IMO this is weak)

* offer a minimum of six hours per day of live toll-free telephone support, Mon - Fri

* Have at least 75 dealers with permanent outdoor signage, at least one operational spa for wet test, and a minimum of four different spas on display OR

* Have a minimum of 15 dedicated territory reps, conduct on-site home inspections, and can document at least $150K in the last year spent on marketing, promotion, and advertising.

You can see that this would eliminate smaller manufacturers, new startups, curbers, resalers, and assorted riffraff

And the final requirement:

* Manufacturer will agree to have a questionnaire and internet link forwarded to a random, national sample of customers who have purchased a hot tub in the last 24 months

* A minimum of 300 completed surveys must be received (and at an anticipated 10% return, that means at least 3000 customers must receive the survey)

* Homeowners will complete and return the survey to a third-party market research firm to tabulate the results and validate the audit

* Spasearch will receive results from the auditors and notify the participating manufacturers of PASS or FAIL status on their application.

The third party auditors were

* The University of Texas, Arlington TX

* Market Connections, Inc., Fairfax VA

* Click Survey LLC, Ramona, CA

INTERNATIONAL POOL & SPA EXPO, LAS VEGAS, NOVEMBER 2006 - . Marquis Spas, Hot Spring Spas, Caldera Spas, Dimension One Spas and Arctic Spas

I've had a majic top 5 list and a top ten list for a long time, It's been kinda personal to me but I always share in PM or email anyone asking and I give my reasons. My top 5 list does not include HS or Caldera and I am more than happy to give my reasoning for my decision to opt them into top 10 versus top 5. But ask anyone who has asked in the past my top 5 does include Marquis, D1 and Arctic.

If anyone cares or if it even matters.....LOL

Roger, I would like to hear your top 5 list. Mine is:

1. HotSpring

2. Sundance

3. Caldera

4. Marquis

5. D1

I've had a majic top 5 list and a top ten list for a long time, It's been kinda personal to me but I always share in PM or email anyone asking and I give my reasons. My top 5 list does not include HS or Caldera and I am more than happy to give my reasoning for my decision to opt them into top 10 versus top 5. But ask anyone who has asked in the past my top 5 does include Marquis, D1 and Arctic.

If anyone cares or if it even matters.....LOL

Dang man. They sent me "all" the info on this, and even called me to solicit the 5 grand. At no time were any of these things mentioned.

Sorry to hear of the confusion. The requirements were not in our initial information either, but came in the full application package.

You know, that last requirement almost sounds like it was added for one, and only one, very specific manufacturer.

Interesting thought. Here is the full requirement:

FACTORY DIRECT

Manufacturers who sell direct to the public may also quality provided

1) The manufacturer has a minimum of 15 dedicated territory representatives in North America,

2) at the request of the homeowner, a sales presentation can be conducted in person,

3) every quotation includes an on-site home inspection, and

4) manufacturer can document at least $150,00 spent on consumer-direct marketing, promotion, and advertising in the past 365 days.

Does it still apply to your one very specific case?

= = = = =

What spasearch believes is of value to consumers is that the endorsement is objective. A company either meets the requirements or it doesn't. (The requirements were aimed at larger manufacturers, which may or may not be a flaw). And they didn't take our word for anything; we had to provide photocopies of our ETL certificates, our BBB membership number, printed copies of our warranties, copies of training curricula and training records -- documentation to support every requirement.

A third party conducts and analyzes the customer survey, not the manufacturer. An 85% customer approval rating is high enough for consumer confidence yet is attainable by a good product with reasonable quality assurance.

It may not be perfect, but IMO having an endorsement "based on audited customer satisfaction results" is a good step in the right direction.

Tom

Does it apply to my specific case? I'm thinking T-spas....... whatcha think?

Are you say that an 85%* customer approval is the requirement?

About T-spas -- you could very well be right.

About the 85%* requirement, here's what they said in the application booklet:

SCORING CRITERIA

1) Any manufacturer who scores above 85%* aggregate score on a customer satisfaction index is eligible for the Spasearch Certified status. [provided the manufacturer also meets the other criteria, one assumes]

2) Spasearch Certified is intended to reward the top 10% tier of hot tub manufacturers doing business in North America.

* I have since learned that this is not a percentage but a weighted aggregate score that can range from a low of -110 to a high of +110 -- Edit by Tom, 26 Feb 07

Well I'm confused, but then I'm a paranoid individual (among other things :rolleyes: )

SCORING CRITERIA

1) Any manufacturer who scores above 85% aggregate score on a customer satisfaction index is eligible for the Spasearch Certified™ status. [provided the manufacturer also meets the other criteria, one assumes]

"Eligable for".? Assuming they meet the other criteria, what would prevent certification.

2) Spasearch Certified™ is intended to reward the top 10% tier of hot tub manufacturers doing business in North America.

This is most confusing. Does it mean that the expectations are that only 10% of the manufacturers in the US meet the 85% customer satisfaction requirements (along with the other basic criteria)? Or that only 10% of those that pass the 85% rule will be "certified"?

Well I'm confused, but then I'm a paranoid individual (among other things :rolleyes: )

SCORING CRITERIA

1) Any manufacturer who scores above 85% aggregate score on a customer satisfaction index is eligible for the Spasearch Certified™ status. [provided the manufacturer also meets the other criteria, one assumes]

"Eligable for".? Assuming they meet the other criteria, what would prevent certification.

2) Spasearch Certified™ is intended to reward the top 10% tier of hot tub manufacturers doing business in North America.

This is most confusing. Does it mean that the expectations are that only 10% of the manufacturers in the US meet the 85% customer satisfaction requirements (along with the other basic criteria)? Or that only 10% of those that pass the 85% rule will be "certified"?

Geez, Doc, you'd better order an application package! I don't want to wind up quoting all 10 pages to you. Besides, you're asking questions I can't answer. ^_^ Talk to David Wood--you know him, he runs the forum--I imagine he'll send you a package.