Pump Shaft Seal Leak? Pics Included For You Guys To Verify

ryantr

It appears to have been leaking for some time. With that much rust build-up im going to say your impeller is going to be rusted on the threads.

IMO its going to be less of a headache for you if you remove the unit & take it to your dealer for repair. If you dont have the right tool for the shaft you arent going to get anywhere. With that much water coming out you may even need a new bearing as I would believe water has gotten into the motor. So right now worst case you are probably looking at a new impeller, seal, and bearing replacement.

I was wondering what would the options be of just replacing the whole assembly vs just fixing it. Would it be crazy expensive?

Pump seals aren't to hard to replace. The pump splits in halfs and then removes from the motor. The seal is in 2 halfs one in the pump half and the other on the shaft under the impellor.

Thanks for the info....

How long of a job is this? Guess i am worried bcause it is winter here and i am worried about freezing. Where would a guy order a seal from. Is there a step by step for this somewhere?

Sorry for all the questions and i really appreciate all your help

Thanks for the info....

How long of a job is this? Guess i am worried bcause it is winter here and i am worried about freezing. Where would a guy order a seal from. Is there a step by step for this somewhere?

Depending on the tub I can do a seal in about an hour (my minumum) I always pull the pump and do it on the bench or picinic table or the customer pulls the pump and I do it at home. Your local dealer should have a seal and instructions for it's installation are in the box.

Take the pump out and bring it to your local dealer, call him first to make sure he has a seal and when would be a good time. Power down tub, close slice valves, dissconnect wires, loosen unions and unscrew pump adaptor nuts. Then unbolt pump from base.

Thanks for the info....

Depending on the tub I can do a seal in about an hour (my minumum) I always pull the pump and do it on the bench or picinic table or the customer pulls the pump and I do it at home. Your local dealer should have a seal and instructions for it's installation are in the box.

Take the pump out and bring it to your local dealer, call him first to make sure he has a seal and when would be a good time. Power down tub, close slice valves, dissconnect wires, loosen unions and unscrew pump adaptor nuts. Then unbolt pump from base.

Actually, worst case scenario is you may have to replace the motor. The bearings may be shot or, like I had last month, a motor shaft was so corroded onto the impeller that the threaded part of the shaft broke off.

That white plastic piece on the shaft is looks like the water slinger on a Waterways pump. Might be $250-500 for a complete pump depending on model and size (is it a two speed pump?) If you have freeze concerns you may want to get a new pump/motor assy. and swap it out completely and then rebuild the old one for a spare.

Actually, worst case scenario is you may have to replace the motor. The bearings may be shot or, like I had last month, a motor shaft was so corroded onto the impeller that the threaded part of the shaft broke off.

That white plastic piece on the shaft is looks like the water slinger on a Waterways pump. Might be $250-500 for a complete pump depending on model and size (is it a two speed pump?) If you have freeze concerns you may want to get a new pump/motor assy. and swap it out completely and then rebuild the old one for a spare.

Yep thats exactly what i am going to do. 500 for a new one but iwont have to worry about it.....its a toy somethines they cost money