Pump Seal

hey_moe

I can't for the life of me figure out why the pump seal keeps going bad,starts to leak and then takes the motor out. This is the motor and pump assem. that I have had to replace once a year >> http://www.poolsinc.com/store.cfm?Dept=Poo...FTOKEN=55969202 << I don't have hard water and I keep the chemicals right where they are suppose to be. I have yet another replacement pump and motor coming in by the end of the week. I am thinking of taking the pump apart and putting vasline on the seals in hopes of it lasting maybe 2 year. My wife and I us the spa about twice a month. Any suggestion or ideas anyone can think of that might prolong this failure??? :wub::wub:

I can't for the life of me figure out why the pump seal keeps going bad,starts to leak and then takes the motor out. This is the motor and pump assem. that I have had to replace once a year >> http://www.poolsinc.com/store.cfm?Dept=Poo...FTOKEN=55969202 << I don't have hard water and I keep the chemicals right where they are suppose to be. I have yet another replacement pump and motor coming in by the end of the week. I am thinking of taking the pump apart and putting vasline on the seals in hopes of it lasting maybe 2 year. My wife and I us the spa about twice a month. Any suggestion or ideas anyone can think of that might prolong this failure??? :wub::wub:

When you say "takes the motor out", what do you mean? There is a replaceble seal inside the pump that can be replaced. The failures you mention do see excessive. I dont have any comment on that.

Poor alignment between the motor and pump can cause premature shaft seal failure. If it is failing with a new pump/ motor assembly, maybe the plumbing is putting stress on the pump, tweaking it out of alignment with the motor.

Dave

The pump to motor comes from the dealer already installed on the motor. There is no stress on either one of the connections. Some of my background. Senior HVAC tech. I also work on water softeners,chemical feed pumps,well pumps. I am not a know it all, but as far as having it installed wrong,stress point,water flow..that isn't happening as far as I can tell. I have been looking at a heavier duty pump. I have even thought of installing a well pump but the well pump is more set up for pressure not volume...Mike

Use magilube not vasoline

Use magilube not vasoline

What are your PH and total alkinlinity readings? Were are you getting these pumps from? If you keep replacing pumps and these pumps are all the same new ones from the same place somebody is doing something wrong. Alot of places buy motors and install a wet end on them to make a pump. It is a common practice and works if installed correctly. Putting lube on them won't do anything because of the way the pump seals are made. You can try to use a pump seal with viton rubber. The link you have shows some really cheap pumps. I bet they are refurbished models using junk pump seals.