2003 Hot Spring Grandee Tripping

icewoz

Drained the tub, refilled, turned tub back on, seems ok for about a minute then trips.

Had to run the tub for an hour after switching over to the Spa Frog chemical system (needed to circulate chlorine). Tub ran, with all jets going, without tripping. Turned the jets off and 2 minutes later it trips. Water seems to have started heating up during this time as well.

Any clues, suggestions?

I did accidently turned the power on while it was empty and realized it about 3 hours later. Could this have burnt something out?

Thanks!!!

Drained the tub, refilled, turned tub back on, seems ok for about a minute then trips.

Had to run the tub for an hour after switching over to the Spa Frog chemical system (needed to circulate chlorine). Tub ran, with all jets going, without tripping. Turned the jets off and 2 minutes later it trips. Water seems to have started heating up during this time as well.

Any clues, suggestions?

I did accidently turned the power on while it was empty and realized it about 3 hours later. Could this have burnt something out?

Thanks!!!

Try unplugging the black and white heater leads fron the relay board then turn on your breakers...If it doesn't trip the heater is bad..Hope this helps..Mike

Sounds like your circulation pump is air locked. This can happen when refilling the spa. (I'd advise next time you fill the spa, put the garden hose down your circulation filter stand pipe when you fill). If you turn the jets on before it trips, the system will run until you shut down the jet pumps, at which point it'll turn off due to no flow through the heater.

Three ways to fix the air lock:

1) Sometimes turning power on/off a few times will "burp" the pump. Although this doesn't always work (usually doesn't). Keep in mind, you DO NOT want to turn the breaker on/off like a light switch. You need to give it several seconds delay before each on/off.

2) Go to a hardware store and buy a "Clog Buster" made by Harvey Plumbing. Connect this to your garden hose, slide it down the filter standpipe, then turn on the hose. This little guy will force water down through the plumbing to your circ pump and force the air out. :) Works well.

http://www.acehardware.com/product/index.j...ELAID=247223826

3) You can also get inside the spa and disconnect the vinyl tubing that leads from the circulation pump to the heater. Loosening it on the heater end (loosen clamp, and loosen hose, don't actually physically remove it) will allow water to leak out, creating a siphon and will usually force the air out of the circulation pump. It's best to do this with the power OFF so you the pump doesn't kick in and spray water at you. Once you've let some water out, reconnect the tube/clamp and turn the power on.

The other possibility would be that the circulation pump isn't actually running at all, at which point you'll need a new one. See if it's buzzing or making any noise when you turn power on. There is always a possibility that you can damage equipment by turning the power on to the spa while it's empty.

Thanks Jerimiah. I was looking for your email and was going to ask you for suggestions.

Hot Spring has suggested something similar to the device you referenced.

Thanks again!!!

Steve

No problem! :) Happy soaking!

I'm not sure if it was making a noise before because I had not opened the service panel.

HOWEVER, last night I was surfing around the web on this subject and found a thread where someone said they "tapped the circ pump 'wet end' with the handle of a screwdriver". Well, I thought I should try it just because I don't want to pay for a service call on Monday.

Well, it worked!!! I turned the tub on, and I did hear noise, waited a minute, the red light stayed on, waited another minute, it's still on. Took the dog for a walk totally expecting it to be blinking when I got back, it was still a solid red. Got up this morning, still red, green light is on now. Ran the "clean" cycle thinking that that would probably make it blink again, but it still a nice, solid red.

Now, it could be coincidence that it worked after squirting water through the pump, turning it on and off and kicking the damned thing a couple of times.

All I know is it's working now and I'm canceling my service call for Monday.

Thanks for everyone's suggestions!!!

Steve