Preparing Spa For Winter Use

Spa Newbie

We just got a hot tub the end of June and thanks to all of you I've been able to do a good job at maintaining it. It has definitely been a learning experience. Thanks for all your great knowledge!

Now with us coming up on winter, I have some concerns with making the water last through winter. The spa is new. It got cloudy after the first month so we dumped it, thinking at least part of the reason was due to the factory gunk in it. But it was probably due to frequent use and not putting anything in for body oils, etc.

We live in PA so we will not be able to refill the tub until the spring... or at least we do not want to chance anything freezing in it to refill when the temps are so cold. We plan on refilling in a couple weeks and I would like to know what I can do to keep the water good throughout the winter.

I've been using the test (guess) strips up until now. So first is to get one of the recommended test kits. I saw Spa Depot has a spa system flush so I'm thinking we should use some type of product to clear out any deposits that may be in the pipes. before we empty it. Then we'll clean the shell. I'll get a pre-filter for refilling, a new Nature2 cartridge and a Zorbo oil absorber.

I have two filters and rinse the one in use every week and periodically clean in TSP. I started off with Dichlor and switched to bleach. Since then, I've never had a problem with the PH, alkalinity or Cyanuric acid readings on the strips. According to the place we bought the tub, CH is not a problem in our water supply, but I'll see when the test kit arrives. I have several bottles of Nature's Way products they gave us with the tub but I've only used the Dichlor and stuff for scum and oils. We also have an ozonator. Lately I've noticed I'm adding more bleach so am I right in thinking the water is getting to the point it needs to be changed? Since I've been able to keep a sanitizer in the tub, I haven't been shocking. I don't notice as much of a chlorine smell but there is a smell and I'm wondering if it's the used up chlorine. Isn't there a product that converts it back to free chlorine? When I use the stuff for oil and scum, I use a net to discard the accumulations. I always run the spa for at least 1/2 hour after adding chemicals.

We haven't been using the spa as frequently so we set the temp on 90 and turn it up a few hours before we go in which lately has been once a week. 101 has been the highest we've had it set.

I think this is everything I've been doing and my thoughts for the winter. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on making it through to spring.

Laurie

We just got a hot tub the end of June and thanks to all of you I've been able to do a good job at maintaining it. It has definitely been a learning experience. Thanks for all your great knowledge!

Now with us coming up on winter, I have some concerns with making the water last through winter. The spa is new. It got cloudy after the first month so we dumped it, thinking at least part of the reason was due to the factory gunk in it. But it was probably due to frequent use and not putting anything in for body oils, etc.

We live in PA so we will not be able to refill the tub until the spring... or at least we do not want to chance anything freezing in it to refill when the temps are so cold. We plan on refilling in a couple weeks and I would like to know what I can do to keep the water good throughout the winter.

I've been using the test (guess) strips up until now. So first is to get one of the recommended test kits. I saw Spa Depot has a spa system flush so I'm thinking we should use some type of product to clear out any deposits that may be in the pipes. before we empty it. Then we'll clean the shell. I'll get a pre-filter for refilling, a new Nature2 cartridge and a Zorbo oil absorber.

I have two filters and rinse the one in use every week and periodically clean in TSP. I started off with Dichlor and switched to bleach. Since then, I've never had a problem with the PH, alkalinity or Cyanuric acid readings on the strips. According to the place we bought the tub, CH is not a problem in our water supply, but I'll see when the test kit arrives. I have several bottles of Nature's Way products they gave us with the tub but I've only used the Dichlor and stuff for scum and oils. We also have an ozonator. Lately I've noticed I'm adding more bleach so am I right in thinking the water is getting to the point it needs to be changed? Since I've been able to keep a sanitizer in the tub, I haven't been shocking. I don't notice as much of a chlorine smell but there is a smell and I'm wondering if it's the used up chlorine. Isn't there a product that converts it back to free chlorine? When I use the stuff for oil and scum, I use a net to discard the accumulations. I always run the spa for at least 1/2 hour after adding chemicals.

We haven't been using the spa as frequently so we set the temp on 90 and turn it up a few hours before we go in which lately has been once a week. 101 has been the highest we've had it set.

I think this is everything I've been doing and my thoughts for the winter. I'd appreciate your thoughts and suggestions on making it through to spring.

Laurie

Just a note to say "I'm in the same boat" as you. I just dumped the water November 1st and need to keep it going till April as it get's very cold here in Ottawa, Canada. I switched to the Dychlor/Bleach method on this fill and am using a Nature2 as well. So far great results, but it's early.

Like you I turn down the temp. after each use. I have it set to 100 then pump it to 103-104 20 minutes before I go in. In the dead of winter, Jan.->Feb. I will likely use the tub less so I'll set it lower, say 90->95.

As the air is getting colder I now make sure my air for the jets is turned off completely when not in use.

To make the water last longer I am making sure I at least wipe under-arm to remove deodorant. I have a swim suit just for the tub and don't hand it to the laundry(soap).

I do not use any special chemicals or treatments. I believe the less you add to the water the better off it will be. I use bleach (Clorox 6%), potasium monopersulfite sparsly when needed, say weekend, and have added baking soda to raise the TA up 10 points.

I guess I will see how long the water lasts. If it goes sour in January or February maybe I could dump and re-fill half or more, but I couldn't do a complete job unless there was a very warm spell.

good luck,

Greg

I am also facing the same weather issue.

I have been holding off on draining the tub and refilling in the hopes I can make it strongly through winter on this fill.

Things will be freezing here in Minnesota pretty soon....so my time is running out. I was thinking over the thanksgiving holiday I may be able to get it all drained and refilled....gonna be a cold afternoon!

Anyways...I am just going to keep on keeping on and not change anything with my water regime.

I just filled in mid October when I got my tub, and really want to see if I can run it through March. Pushing it i know. I can guarantee that If there's a warm snap (anything over 35°) come January of february, I'll be re-filling.

To avoid an ice spill I plan/hope I can run a hose from the sump pump through a basement window and into my laundry sink to drain into the sewer vs. spilling out on my lawn or the street.

• 2 weeks later...

there are hose adapters for your kitchen sink which would allow you to run the water from within the home to the tub, but it all depends

on where the taps are in the home and how much hose you want to run through the house in case a fill-up is needed....

I don't plan on dumping the water and re-filling the hot-tub till Spring. So far, the water chemistry has been stable and you have a good

point of reducing the temperature in January to at least 100 when not in use and then perhaps 95 in the dead of winter. However, does it

not consume more energy to heat up the tub and keeping it at temperature?

Paul

there are hose adapters for your kitchen sink which would allow you to run the water from within the home to the tub, but it all depends

on where the taps are in the home and how much hose you want to run through the house in case a fill-up is needed....

I don't plan on dumping the water and re-filling the hot-tub till Spring. So far, the water chemistry has been stable and you have a good

point of reducing the temperature in January to at least 100 when not in use and then perhaps 95 in the dead of winter. However, does it

not consume more energy to heat up the tub and keeping it at temperature?

Paul

That is a good question for conversation, what temp to bring it down to then bring up again that is conservative. As it's been I am at 100 deg F when not used and I pump it to 102 before I get in. When I am in I them pump it up to 103 or 104 depending on the wife. I find my small tub goes from 100 to 103 in 20 minutes, so if it can heat up that much in a short time span then the cost for energy consumption is not that bad. A two degrees diff. is not much when you use it nightly or every 2nd night. In the dead of winter I don't see us using it that much so a drop of 4-5 deg. should be OK.

I think of it like 4-5 days at 90 then a surge to 102+ on a day of use would be cost effective as apposed to keeping it at 10x all the time then only getting in end of week.

I guess I have to get through a winter or two too see how it goes. This will be my first winter so we shall see.

Greg