Taylor Test Kits Canada

nitrous

Nope and I searched everywhere the last couple weeks. Cheapest I found was here. I ended up ordering from the states even though thats technically not supposed to be allowed. :huh:

What a complete ripoff!!! I am mad.

I was in Boston a few weeks ago and bought a kit that is almost the same (Leslie's Pool Supplies) and made by Taylor for $42 USD. I brought it back in my checked baggage on the plane no problem.

Drive across the border or get a PO box and order it. Then get it shipped.

Odd how it costs so much here in Canada. Every trip I make to the USA I will be sure to get some R-refills.

Greg

Nope and I searched everywhere the last couple weeks. Cheapest I found was here. I ended up ordering from the states even though thats technically not supposed to be allowed. :huh:

What a complete ripoff!!! I am mad.

I was in Boston a few weeks ago and bought a kit that is almost the same (Leslie's Pool Supplies) and made by Taylor for $42 USD. I brought it back in my checked baggage on the plane no problem.

Drive across the border or get a PO box and order it. Then get it shipped.

Odd how it costs so much here in Canada. Every trip I make to the USA I will be sure to get some R-refills.

Greg

Not to Hijack....but how did that trip go Greg? Any issues coming across? I have the scene from the movie Blow in my head where he was going through security with the suitcase.... :lol:

For $42, it sounds like it might have been the Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit which is a rebranded Taylor K-2005 and not the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test kit which is a rebranded Taylor K-2006.

Regardless, the prices in Canada for the Taylor kits are much, much higher.

For $42, it sounds like it might have been the Leslie's DPD Complete Chlorine Kit which is a rebranded Taylor K-2005 and not the Chlorine FAS-DPD Service Test kit which is a rebranded Taylor K-2006.

I looked at the picture on the website and the kit I got for $42 is almost that. It is missing just the wheel and paper manual. The rest is the same.

BTW, it is an easy to use kit. Instructions are very clear. On my next trip to Boston I will just buy larger refills of the ones I am low on. I plan on bringing them back in my plastic liquid baggie. Maybe that will add to the cross border excitement. Nothing happened on the last trip. I just placed them in my bag and checked it. They are not marked in any menacing way, such as hazardous chemicals or such, simple "Pool test Kit" so there were no questions.

Greg

I looked at the picture on the website and the kit I got for $42 is almost that. It is missing just the wheel and paper manual. The rest is the same.

BTW, it is an easy to use kit. Instructions are very clear. On my next trip to Boston I will just buy larger refills of the ones I am low on. I plan on bringing them back in my plastic liquid baggie. Maybe that will add to the cross border excitement. Nothing happened on the last trip. I just placed them in my bag and checked it. They are not marked in any menacing way, such as hazardous chemicals or such, simple "Pool test Kit" so there were no questions.

Greg

Hi,

I just purchase ColorQ PRO 7-PLUS (Code 2064) made by french Canadian manufacture.

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/pool/colorqs.html

I paid 150 US

I like the unit, it is very accurate and DIGITAL (no more guessing s)

Greg

Hi,

I just purchase ColorQ PRO 7-PLUS (Code 2064) made by french Canadian manufacture.

http://www.lamotte.com/pages/pool/colorqs.html

I paid 150 US

It's funny because I just switched the opposite way (digital 2 analog) to get a more accurate reading.

I initially used test strips to get a reading but neither my wife or myself could agree on the exact color. I would say orange and she say red. So I went and bought ($99 CDN) the AquaChek digital meter and TruTest test strips. Basically you dunk then place the test strip on the meter and it shines a light to read the color and gives you an exact number. Using this I adjusted the water up, then down, then all around. I got the Taylor test kit and used it to take readings that are much more accurate. The tub is doing great. Each time I'd take a reading I would double check with the AquaChek to find it way off on the TA. I mean way of. The pH and CL were on the money or close enough. BTW, when free chlorine is very low you can only get a reading using a drop test kit, the AquaChek would simple say 0.0, and that was not true.

My recommendation, having tried it all, is to save yourself allot of grief (and MONEY$$) and get a simple drop test kit. It doesn't look like you need to pay more the $50 to get accurate readings. Use test strips for quick and dirty readings during the week. The only test strip I use now is the cheap pool ones that test for Monopersulfate. 50 strips for $10. They also give you a rough pH and TA.

Greg

(anyone want to buy an AquaChek unit real cheap? strips included :-)

Styro,

That kit you bought did you order right from Lamotte website ?

I see it also does calcium hardness, I may like this kit

Does anyone else have any info on this kit ?

I did purchase from http://poolcenter.com/

They will ship to Canada as well for addition 25$

I use my friend address in Buffalo and cost me 8$ for shipping.

I forgot to mention this test kit comes with large size of refills which last you 288 times

and you can do calcium hardness as well.

Its excellent buy I will never go back to anything else.

Hi,

As with OttawaGreg, we took a trip into the states and picked up a drop test kit from Leslie Pools. From what I can gather, it is made by Taylor and does Calcium Hardness, ph, TA, chlorine, etc. It retailed for $52.00 and there were no questions asked at the border. Leslie Pools is some sort of chain, look them up online.

We'll be doing some testing shortly but from what we have read here, these kits should do exactly what we want.

Tom

• 1 year later...

The Apollo Pools site will say out of stock, but they ship it direct from Lowry anyway so go ahead and order it or call them. I've written to them about that before -- they need a better message than out-of-stock -- something more like "order on request" or something like that.

Hi,

http://www.lamotte.c...ol/colorqs.html

I paid 150 US

Actually, LaMotte is not Canadian, they are located in Maryland, USA. The best kit they have is the 7022 FAS-DPD kit. The ColorQ has some 'issues'. The liquid reagent unit is more dependable in its readings being correct than the one that comes with tablet reagents, btw. just because it gives you a digital readout does not mean the reading is accurate or repeatable.

The link works for me, but try doing a Google search on "Apollo Pools Canada" where the first two results should be the main site: http://piscines-apollo.com/.

OK worked this time, but not yesterday. See it is C$159 which is pretty expensive. Bearing in mind that the Canadian dollar is about par with US $ right now. I sent a message to Amato Industry but never heard back, concerning shipping products to Canada.

ouch that is over double what I have them on my shelf for...is it really that expensive to ship to Canada?

OK worked this time, but not yesterday. See it is C$159 which is pretty expensive. Bearing in mind that the Canadian dollar is about par with US $ right now. I sent a message to Amato Industry but never heard back, concerning shipping products to Canada.

ouch that is over double what I have them on my shelf for...is it really that expensive to ship to Canada?

Taylor has given an exclusive distributorship to Lowry and Associates (Onterio) and THEY are the ones that set the Canadian prices, not Taylor. If an American dealer or distributor ships to Canada Taylor will drop them. This leaves Canadians stuck with the higher prices. Amato cannot ship to Canada or they will be dropped as a Taylor dealer. Taylor actively enforces this from what I have heard from Taylor dealers and repackagers that I know.

Even so, the Taylor kit is still the best choice of available options. The only other company that makes a kit comparable to the K-2006 is LaMotte, who just came out with the 7022 FAS-DPD Commerial 7 test kit and it is only slightly less in price than the Taylor K-2006 in Canada and quite a bit more in the US. It's price is a bit under $120US.

Then again, if you look at it from Lowry's point of view they have to stock the kits, pay for warehousing them, have to deal with (and pay) import tariffs and import regulations, probably have a lot of waste as regents expire and have to be discarded, and only have a small window each year to make sales since the Canadian swim season is very short compared to the swim season in the US, which is 10 months to year long in many areas (such as where I live). This close regulation of the kits does insure (in theory) that you will get a kit or regent that is not expired but it does come at a price.