Hot Tub Heater Can't Keep Up When Cover Is Off...

JPvZ

Hi,

I have a 1998 Arctic Yukon tub. Recently, I noticed that the water temperature was dropping in my tub while in use. Putting the cover (its new) back on, the temperature slowly gets back to the set point (24hr+), but will drop quickly if the cover is off (a degree drop in <15mins).

Flow seems to be good in the tub, and the temp drops when the jets are on high. Also I've been using the "silver sentinel" filter (1month old), so I haven't been using that liquid scale prevention treatment (filter packaging said it wasn't necessary with a micro filter). Could scale have built up on the core causing heating trouble? Any way of checking?

Any one have this trouble? Is my heater breaking down?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

I have a 1999 Sundance Optima w/ 500 gallons. The heater is original and never had a problem. However the water temperature entering the spa does not feel as hot as when it was new. Even though the spa holds temp very well I am going to replace the heater as it is possible there is a calcium build up on the element after 10 years of service. The old heater element will be soaked in vinegar and rinsed to see what particles shed off.

Hi,

I have a 1998 Arctic Yukon tub. Recently, I noticed that the water temperature was dropping in my tub while in use. Putting the cover (its new) back on, the temperature slowly gets back to the set point (24hr+), but will drop quickly if the cover is off (a degree drop in <15mins).

Flow seems to be good in the tub, and the temp drops when the jets are on high. Also I've been using the "silver sentinel" filter (1month old), so I haven't been using that liquid scale prevention treatment (filter packaging said it wasn't necessary with a micro filter). Could scale have built up on the core causing heating trouble? Any way of checking?

Any one have this trouble? Is my heater breaking down?

Any ideas would be appreciated!

The heating light stays on all the time - could just the low-flow pump for the heater keep the tub at 103F w the lid on?

Can the parts be replaced without draining the tub?

Thanks for your response.

Trueblue is right. It sounds like your spa is heating from the waste heat on the motor if it is taking that long to come up to temperature. You likely have a failed heater or board.

Your local Arctic dealer should have both parts in stock.

Kind regards,

James

The heating light stays on all the time - could just the low-flow pump for the heater keep the tub at 103F w the lid on?

Can the parts be replaced without draining the tub?

Thanks for your response.

Yes the pump alone on any tub will build heat and transfer it into the water. The parts may be able to be replaced look for slice valves on both sides of the heater/control.