Spa Newbie Trying To Understand R-value Data

Mackenzie3

So I have been lurking and looking at my options for Spas. My main reason for posting is I recently downloaded California's data sheet on spas and now am not sure how to read it. http://www.energy.ca.gov/appliances/databa...ectric_Spas.zip

I have been looking hard at the Sundance Hartford as I think I want a 6-7 person without the lounger. So looking at the data sheet the Hartford has a Spa R-Value or 25 and Cover Value of 13.5. And when I compare that to other highly rated spas on this board that seems to stack up very well. Artesian has some space rated 30 and beachcomber has a few 27-28s. But then I see Bullfrog and D1 rates at 6!? So are they that badly insulated? Or is there something wrong with the data?

Also I have a question about the max distance you would consider going to get a spa. I live in the 93555 zip code and the only truly local dealer does bullfrog but 80 miles away are Hot Spring, Beachcomber and Sundance Dealers. Is that too far? I know they will deliver but am I in for a world of pain for warranty work? Also if I am already going that far should I consider the D1 dealer another 50 miles away?

Thanks

1) Those #s are self reported which may explain how a few of those companies even made the list IMO. I'm not sure why a few reported so low. Were those actually metered? I can guess why a few reported so high though LOL, we need 3rd party testing (I'd love to see Master and a few others independently checked). At least its a start. Hopefully now that the CEC has them on the books they can take the next step and make them prove it.

2) Normally 80 miles or so is pushing it but sometimes in more rural areas that is more the norm. I wouldn't necessarily settle for the only dealer in town, especially when your other options further away are very good ones. The key is to get in writing at the time you're negotiating what kind of travel costs are associated with any warranty work if needed.

I would not trust these ratings a single bit.

From my understanding there is a discrepancy on how the R values are supposed to be calculated. Some companies measured R values at the thinnest area of insulation between the cabinet wall and the spa shell (which could be only 3-4" at certain parts of the spa), while other companies measured R values at the thickest area of insulation between the cabinet wall and the spa shell (which could be as much as 24" depending on the configuration of the spa shell and where it was measured).

That's why you will see such a wide range of R values.

So I have been lurking and looking at my options for Spas. My main reason for posting is I recently downloaded California's data sheet on spas and now am not sure how to read it. http://www.energy.ca.gov/appliances/databa...ectric_Spas.zip

I have been looking hard at the Sundance Hartford as I think I want a 6-7 person without the lounger. So looking at the data sheet the Hartford has a Spa R-Value or 25 and Cover Value of 13.5. And when I compare that to other highly rated spas on this board that seems to stack up very well. Artesian has some space rated 30 and beachcomber has a few 27-28s. But then I see Bullfrog and D1 rates at 6!? So are they that badly insulated? Or is there something wrong with the data?

Also I have a question about the max distance you would consider going to get a spa. I live in the 93555 zip code and the only truly local dealer does bullfrog but 80 miles away are Hot Spring, Beachcomber and Sundance Dealers. Is that too far? I know they will deliver but am I in for a world of pain for warranty work? Also if I am already going that far should I consider the D1 dealer another 50 miles away?

Thanks

I had trouble deciding between the Hartford and Hawthorne, but went for the Hawthorne in the end because of the lounger, but it's just a personal thing. Like the other reply said confirm with the Sundance dealer what it would mean for them to come out 80 miles, although with this brand it shouldn't be too often.

As far as running costs go I use my tub around 40 minutes per day every day, and that works out to around $30 a month extra compared to last year (all my other appliances are the same as 12 months ago so it's a fair comparison, plus electric prices have gone up anyway). But no doubt this cost will increase once winter arrives here in Buffalo!