Leaking Tub, Need Second Opinion.

jenism

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm here because I would like a second opinion about the leak in our hot tub.

Here is the story:

Last year the breaker went, and it was about 3-5 days before we noticed. The water froze, but not completely. Maybe about 1.5 ft? We refilled the tub and let it sit with the heater/pump on. 24 hours later it was running normally but the water level had dropped just under half way. (sitting area still under water)

The skirt does not come off at the sides, the only way to get at it is from the bottom. To add to it, it is insulated with spray foam. The tech my boyfriend has been talking to is telling us to chip it all away, but I would hate to do all that work if there is an easier way to diagnose the leak.

Is there any way to spot water damage on spray foam?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Hi,

I'm new to the forum, and I'm here because I would like a second opinion about the leak in our hot tub.

Here is the story:

Last year the breaker went, and it was about 3-5 days before we noticed. The water froze, but not completely. Maybe about 1.5 ft? We refilled the tub and let it sit with the heater/pump on. 24 hours later it was running normally but the water level had dropped just under half way. (sitting area still under water)

The skirt does not come off at the sides, the only way to get at it is from the bottom. To add to it, it is insulated with spray foam. The tech my boyfriend has been talking to is telling us to chip it all away, but I would hate to do all that work if there is an easier way to diagnose the leak.

Is there any way to spot water damage on spray foam?

Any advise would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

Jen

Take a small wooden dowel and poke it through the foam near where you suspect the leak. If it is hard to push through the foam and the dowel comes back dry, try another spot. You'll know it when it hits wet foam. The dowel will push in easily and it will be wet when you take it out.

Good luck.

can you see any water leaking when you look under the tub? it will give you an idea where the leak is but could be tough, when i looked under deck for a water leak it would run along the deck joists along to the other side of the tub.. (one of my lower jets was leaking on the right side but water would run along the bottom to the left what I'm getting at is, if your foam is really wet in one spot it helps the foam turns yellowish and starts to get eaten away by the water but not necessarily where the leak is unless you chip away a little foam.. check around where the motor is if you can and see if an o ring or gasket is leaking hopefully that might just be it, I had to replace those first before I found out I had other leaks and noticed I was dropping 2 inches a day with motors on... hope this helps..