8 Year Old Used Tub..... Bad Idea?

drewskie

Ok, I did search most the forum before I posted, because I know everyone hates repetitive posts. Here's the deal, I am planning on purchasing my first used tub this weekend. The one I have found is a 2002 D1 sojourn. The spa has all the features I am looking for. I have a few questions, mainly, what to look for on a used tub, I know about leaks, weird noises, cracks, etc. Are they any major parts that go bad at the 8-10 year mark? Also, are D1 replacement parts any more expensive than other brands? I have heard that full foam tubs are impossible to repair once/if they leak, should I look for a tub that is not full foam? Any other additional info. i have overlooked will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Ok, I did search most the forum before I posted, because I know everyone hates repetitive posts. Here's the deal, I am planning on purchasing my first used tub this weekend. The one I have found is a 2002 D1 sojourn. The spa has all the features I am looking for. I have a few questions, mainly, what to look for on a used tub, I know about leaks, weird noises, cracks, etc. Are they any major parts that go bad at the 8-10 year mark? Also, are D1 replacement parts any more expensive than other brands? I have heard that full foam tubs are impossible to repair once/if they leak, should I look for a tub that is not full foam? Any other additional info. i have overlooked will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Who told you full foam tubs were impossible to fix? Let me guess, a guy selling non fully insulated tubs!! How much are they asking for this 8 year old tub? Does this 8 year old tub run? Have you seen it run? What shape is it in?

Who told you full foam tubs were impossible to fix? Let me guess, a guy selling non fully insulated tubs!! How much are they asking for this 8 year old tub? Does this 8 year old tub run? Have you seen it run? What shape is it in?

Yes sir, it was an online article, I think it was a company that does sell non fully insulated tubs. The tub is 1,200 dollars, the seller says everything works perfect, I will verify this for myself of course, but I am worried that there may be something I do not know how to check for. Thanks for the reply.

Yes sir, it was an online article, I think it was a company that does sell non fully insulated tubs. The tub is 1,200 dollars, the seller says everything works perfect, I will verify this for myself of course, but I am worried that there may be something I do not know how to check for. Thanks for the reply.

You want to see it in full operation and you want to see it dry all the way around. Open the front cabinet and make sure it is dry inside. Turn on and off each jet, blower, light, etc. to be sure they work properly. Feel each jet to make sure it is on and that the jets are all in place and each has flow. You obviously want to see it heated to about 100º so you know the heater is operational and that he didn't just fill it so that any slow leaks are apparent. Make sure the cover fits properly (a new one is about $400) and that any cover lifter works properly. You generally want to get a feel for whether the frame/bottom are in good shape and can handle the move. Things like that.

at this age I would definitly make sure it works,( see it running for at least 24 hours) it may take that long for any leaks to show up in a foam filled spa. heater, pump seals, gaskets are all items I would replace if they haven't been done recently. but number one check the shell for any cracks or blisters.