Jacuzzi J-480 Circ Pump / Ozonator Operation?

Wannago

So, having had my J-480 for 2 weeks today, I flipped off the power and removed the filters to give them a quick rinse.

When I was finished, I replaced them and turned the power back on. Everything seemed fine.

I noticed a couple hours later that my floating filter skimmer was standing up out of the water by a couple inches. I then realized that neither my circ pump nor ozonator were running.

I also noticed that a bit later, the circ pump / ozonator were running again....but then a bit later they stopped again.

I looked in the manual and saw that the circ pump will wait 24 hours after a power outage to operate. I called my dealer who confirmed this was the case, and the circ pump should be operating full time again tomorrow. Apparently whenever the heater is required, the circ pump will turn on, until the water gets up to temp, and then when the heater shuts off, so will the circ pump.

I'm not sure if I like this....there is no filtration going on except for the periods when the heater runs, or if I turn on the jets. Also, I get the impression that the thermometer in the tub must rely on water in the circ pump system, as the water temp has increased to 103-104, from our setting of 102 (today was a relatively cool day). In the 2 weeks I have had it, the tub has never crept up to 104.

Assume this is normal? Anyway to have get the circ pump running again full time, or do I just have to wait? What's the logic behind a 24 hr "wait"?

Tks

So, having had my J-480 for 2 weeks today, I flipped off the power and removed the filters to give them a quick rinse.

When I was finished, I replaced them and turned the power back on. Everything seemed fine.

I noticed a couple hours later that my floating filter skimmer was standing up out of the water by a couple inches. I then realized that neither my circ pump nor ozonator were running.

I also noticed that a bit later, the circ pump / ozonator were running again....but then a bit later they stopped again.

I looked in the manual and saw that the circ pump will wait 24 hours after a power outage to operate. I called my dealer who confirmed this was the case, and the circ pump should be operating full time again tomorrow. Apparently whenever the heater is required, the circ pump will turn on, until the water gets up to temp, and then when the heater shuts off, so will the circ pump.

I'm not sure if I like this....there is no filtration going on except for the periods when the heater runs, or if I turn on the jets. Also, I get the impression that the thermometer in the tub must rely on water in the circ pump system, as the water temp has increased to 103-104, from our setting of 102 (today was a relatively cool day). In the 2 weeks I have had it, the tub has never crept up to 104.

Assume this is normal? Anyway to have get the circ pump running again full time, or do I just have to wait? What's the logic behind a 24 hr "wait"?

Tks

The firmware basically re-reads its instructions at midnight according to the built in timer. When you restarted your tub, it was probably during the day. The default filtration setting is for 24 hour circ pump operation commencing at midnight, so the next time it hits midnight, it will "re-issue" that instruction to the electronics.

I wouldn't obsess over this. The tub will still heat normally. If you are concerned about the lack of filtration during this time, just run pump #1 on high speed for half an hour. A half hour on high speed will provide the same amount of filtration as 6 hours or so of circ pump operation.

John

I have the same tub and have also wondered about this! Mine is going on two years old. The only real issue I have ever had is the main filter getting clogged. This would make the tub stop pumping and FLO would be displayed on the panel. The default for the circulation pump is to run 24x7. I was going through filters every 2-3 months (even if I cleaned them, soaked them, etc.). Jacuzzi has sent me several in addition to my dealer. I now run my circulation pump around 6 hours per day after discussing the issue directly with the Jacuzzi technical manager. This has really helped the issue. SJ