Is 150 Amp Service Enough?

timchase01

Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now and have been so thankful for all the information that I've found and read on these forums. I've decided to get a Sundance Certa, which I'm getting for $6890 USD with steps and cover mate III cover lifter. I was pretty happy about the price after seeing some of the prices I've seen others mention here. At any rate on to my question.

Currently in my house I have 150 amp service. I am wanting to run the Certa with a 60 amp breaker so I can run the pumps and heater at the same time, since Iowa gets pretty cold in the winter months. What I'm wondering is this. Do I need to update my electrical service to 200 amp? Besides the hot tub I have central air, electric clothes dryer, electric range that are pretty big electric hogs. There's also the normal refrigerator, TV, stereo system, lights, blah blah.

The electrician that came out for a quote said he could squeeze the 60 amp breaker into my breaker box by moving some things around, but he wasn't sure if I would need to upgrade my electrical service or not. If I have people over on Thanksgiving, lets say, and I'm cooking a turkey, people are watching TV using the sound system, the central heat is running and the hot tub is going with both pumps on full, will I have enough juice or do you think it will pop the main breaker?

Thanks all for any info!

Tim

Hi all,

I've been lurking around for a couple of weeks now and have been so thankful for all the information that I've found and read on these forums. I've decided to get a Sundance Certa, which I'm getting for $6890 USD with steps and cover mate III cover lifter. I was pretty happy about the price after seeing some of the prices I've seen others mention here. At any rate on to my question.

Currently in my house I have 150 amp service. I am wanting to run the Certa with a 60 amp breaker so I can run the pumps and heater at the same time, since Iowa gets pretty cold in the winter months. What I'm wondering is this. Do I need to update my electrical service to 200 amp? Besides the hot tub I have central air, electric clothes dryer, electric range that are pretty big electric hogs. There's also the normal refrigerator, TV, stereo system, lights, blah blah.

The electrician that came out for a quote said he could squeeze the 60 amp breaker into my breaker box by moving some things around, but he wasn't sure if I would need to upgrade my electrical service or not. If I have people over on Thanksgiving, lets say, and I'm cooking a turkey, people are watching TV using the sound system, the central heat is running and the hot tub is going with both pumps on full, will I have enough juice or do you think it will pop the main breaker?

Thanks all for any info!

Tim

Do a load calculation. The process and general electrical amounts for various household equipment is listed in the NEC. It's not difficult to calculate. If the electrician is concerned, then you are probably at least borderline.

John

It all depends on how much current all these devices draw as well as your usage. If you do have everything turned on, well, it might trip the main... if these devices are large enough, that is. Is that a scenario that is important to you?

In my area, it costs about $2500 to upgrade a panel. If you need the service from the utility upgraded, that's could easily run in the $1-$3k range - additional. On the other hand, the 60A non-GFI breaker that goes in the main panel (you should put the GFI in the box out at the spa) probably costs less than $20 for most brands. Don't know what your electrician would charge to re-shuffle the breakers to make room for the 2-pole 60A... but it can't be more than $150 for the service call plus his time, I would guess. So, if your panel is in decent shape, you might want to try that before you spring for the major panel upgrade. Then if the thing trips too often for your taste, go ahead and upgrade. Since it sounds like you're inclined to use an electrician (good idea if you're not comfortable with such things), have him check your main breaker to make sure it's working properly.

On the other hand, if your panel is a Zinsco or (especially) a Federal Pacific, then I would change it to a good panel no matter what. In my opinion, both of those brands are dangerous. Both companies are out of business.

On the other hand, if your panel is a Zinsco or (especially) a Federal Pacific, then I would change it to a good panel no matter what. In my opinion, both of those brands are dangerous. Both companies are out of business.

We have 100 amp service to our house. I was very worried that I would be having trouble for sure. We have our AC on all the time, and tons of electronics. Luckily we have a gas stove, dryer, and water heater. With all that in mind, we have had no breaker issues at all. I did the same as was recommended....I put in the 60 am breaker and let her buck to see if it blew the main all the time and if it did I would upgrade the service. No issues as of yet and we have had the tub for 6 months or so.

As to the Zinsco or FP boxes....ditch them before you burn your house down. They have aluminum circuit construction causing dissimilar expansion and contraction issues....I.E. arcing....and then fires.