Omg I Don't Know Where To Start

selenafp

I have been wanting an inground pool for several years and now that my husband and I have made the decision to take the plunge, I am so confused. The more research I do, the more confused I get. What I really want is for someone to give me advice on their experiences...I have a small budget and a lot of wants. I have to sacrifice some things for others and I am scared that I will regret the sacrifices that I make.

1). First let me say that I live in South GA with temps that normally stay in the 90's during the summer sometimes rising to 100 and rarely falling below 80 degrees during the day...from May to August. Yes it is humid too. I live on a small lake that has algae problems that I worry may affect my pool. I have always planned on having a guinite pool because I always believed it to be the best (not really true after my research). This is my list of expectations of my pool in order of the most important to the least important: water volleyball (minimum 20X30), a gathering place with friends and family (lots of decking needed), visual appeal for my yard even when the pool is not being used (lighting, landscaping, etc) can't afford rock waterfalls and such. Any recommended lighting with a dramatic effect but not breaking the bank. Please share with me what you regret doing or not doing when making your decision about pool features and designs.

2) More struggles--->to cut cost we have decided to eliminate a deep diving area and only go 6 to 6.5 feet with the deep end. Has anyone regretted this decision? My kids aren't happy about it but other pool owners have told me that they spend very little time in the deep end. Is this true for others? I can increase the size of my pool or add to the lighting and visual appeal by cutting out some of the depth.

I have more questions but will save them for later. I already have 2 quotes but neither seem to be offering me any ideas on "bang for the buck" ideas. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also...thanks for the great info here. It has been a valuable resource for making my decision on filtration. I was about to spend 1000's extra on a system....but now I am adding it back to my pool budget.

Re: lighting, our 16x32 inground vinyl has a SAm floodlight (Pentair), fiber-optic perimeter lighting (powered by a Pentair PG2000) and two laminar deck jets in the deep end (Jandy). Laminar jets basically project very smooth, tube-like streams of water that can actually carry the light (and changing color) from the fiber optic system (via refraction). It's a really nice, eye-catching and relatively inexpensive feature (maybe $600 per jet, you'll only need two). NOTE: I'm not plugging for Pentair, I simply have mostly Pentair equipment so that's all I can comment on.

The SAm is a low-voltage halogen floodlight that can display different colors and be synchronized w/ the fiber optics. Pentair (IntelliBrite) and others also offer LED floodlights - probably won't burn out in your lifetime, consume very little electricity (relatively speaking) and generally offer alot more programming/synchronization options. Note, while LED's are bright, they generally cannot (yet) match the illumination offered by a halogen fixture like a SAm - especially in larger pools (i.e. longer than 24-28'). Many builders and owners recommend installing two LED lights in longer pools, like the one you envision - one at the deep end and another at the shallow end.

A single LED might provide adequate illumination if you have a "beach" or consistent, gradual slope into the deep end. That's a more expensive build - our pool has a more common design: a uniformly deep shallow section, then slopes down into the deep end.

Like everything else in life, there are nicer things (like waterfalls, etc.) to be had, but at cost. We couldn't afford waterfalls, etc. w/ all the earth/masonry/landscaping work we did, but are quite pleased w/ our setup. You'll love having a pool in your backyard, esp. in south Georgia where you can probably expect a long swimming season (from May into October, even longer w/ some sort of heating system - your location is probably a good candidate for solar heating).

Re: diving area - I spend most of my time in the deep end, and often wish our pool was deep enough for diving but it simply isn't (5.5' in the deep end). But I'm happy enough nonetheless. Also, diving boards can be another source of worry and additional maintenance.

Hope this helps.

I have a diving board and think it great. I would say we (adults and kids) spend an even amount of time in each end. Had the pool since 2002 and did have to replace the diving board ($400) but that was because I installed it incorrectly one year. I don't think they are a safety hazard. One interesting thing is that diving boards actually clearly mark the deep end of the pool reducing the chances of someone diving in the shallow end.

The landscaping is something I have improved little by little over the years. It's fun as a long term project and more affordable. As for waterfalls, etc., they are probably where you would add the most cost and problems.

As for lighting, the previous response sounds like awesome stuff. The only thing I would have done differently in my pool was have the light source not be visible. For example, when you view our pool from the house or patio, the light is visible on the left in the deep end under the diving board. I would have mounted two smaller lights on the house side with the lights pointing away. This way you would see the light but not the source. But actually, I rarely use the light (I think it's too bright and attracts bugs). Float candles in the pool when you are not using it or tiki torches, etc.

Algea will not be a problem with proper sanitation and care (e.g., algaecide, water circtulation, etc.).

I have a gunite pool. I just think it's more durable. Just my $.02

The area you need for volleyball sounds large. Not sure if you play in deep or shallow end but that may drive your design more than anything.

Good luck.

I have been wanting an inground pool for several years and now that my husband and I have made the decision to take the plunge, I am so confused. The more research I do, the more confused I get. What I really want is for someone to give me advice on their experiences...I have a small budget and a lot of wants. I have to sacrifice some things for others and I am scared that I will regret the sacrifices that I make.

1). First let me say that I live in South GA with temps that normally stay in the 90's during the summer sometimes rising to 100 and rarely falling below 80 degrees during the day...from May to August. Yes it is humid too. I live on a small lake that has algae problems that I worry may affect my pool. I have always planned on having a guinite pool because I always believed it to be the best (not really true after my research). This is my list of expectations of my pool in order of the most important to the least important: water volleyball (minimum 20X30), a gathering place with friends and family (lots of decking needed), visual appeal for my yard even when the pool is not being used (lighting, landscaping, etc) can't afford rock waterfalls and such. Any recommended lighting with a dramatic effect but not breaking the bank. Please share with me what you regret doing or not doing when making your decision about pool features and designs.

2) More struggles--->to cut cost we have decided to eliminate a deep diving area and only go 6 to 6.5 feet with the deep end. Has anyone regretted this decision? My kids aren't happy about it but other pool owners have told me that they spend very little time in the deep end. Is this true for others? I can increase the size of my pool or add to the lighting and visual appeal by cutting out some of the depth.

I have more questions but will save them for later. I already have 2 quotes but neither seem to be offering me any ideas on "bang for the buck" ideas. Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Also...thanks for the great info here. It has been a valuable resource for making my decision on filtration. I was about to spend 1000's extra on a system....but now I am adding it back to my pool budget.

My gunnite/plaster pool(25yrs) is only 6.5' and have never regretted it.I beleive diving boards are hazardass to your health.You might want to consider attached spa or other water feature to help in controlling alkalinity. Plan on living there a long time because you will never recover your investment.

Good Luck-Joe

• 2 weeks later...

Hi there,

I have more information for you than I can fit in a single post so I will start by saying read my tutorial on concrete vs vinyl liner vs fiberglass pools which you can find in my signature. Gunite pools are the best pools in the world without question with the only downside being cost. Anyone who tells you that gunite pools are not good are trying to sell you a vinyl pool or, gulp, a fiberglass pool. That being said a vinyl liner pool might fit your budget better and allow for more additional items to be added.

1) You CAN have a waterfall. Have a suction and return line roughed in when your pool is installed between the waterfall location and the mechanical room. this cost will be neglidgable and will allow you to add the waterfall at a future point. An electrical chase (pipe) in the same area would also be a good idea. Then you can build your own waterfall for peanuts using the artificial rock pond and waterfall tutorial found at http://www.artificialrock.ca

2) Do not use any salt water systems, ionizers, or specialty sanitation or automation systems for your pool. You can add any / all of these in the future since they only involve making changes in the mechanical room abd do not require any configuation changes within the pool itself.

3) More deaths and serious injuries in swimming pools result from diving boards (and slides) than all other pool accidents put together. I do not understand how anyone needs a diving board these days. I am 6' tall and even a mediocre shallow dive on a 9' deep pool has my face brushing the floor and long slope of the pool. I have a saying that I refer to in the swimming pool buying guide which is simply "if you can save money and make your pool safer at the same time - then do it!"

A deeper pool will require greater heating, chemical and maintenance costs in addition to the upfront cost of having it installed. additionally it is hard to play volleyball while standing in a 9' deep pool. the best configuration I could think of for your pool would be to have 3.5-4' shallow ends on both ends of the pool with a deeper 6-7' section in the center.

I hope this information is helpful.

S