Pop, Burning Smell, New Heater- No Heat?

Irishflynn

Help- I have a Coleman 105 spa. It has been working great, but the other night I was in it. All of the sudden there was a loud "POP" and the breaker blew. There was a burning electric smell-

I reset the breaker, the tub fired up, everything worked fine. The heat light came on so I thought I was in good shape. Wrong- the tub stared getting cooler and cooler. I removed the control panel cover and noticed some scorching on the right side terminal .

I figured the heater must haev gone bad and I ordered a new one. As soon as I installed it, filled the tub back up. Turned on the tub, everything fired up- but still no heater!

The block terminal that the heater hooks up to did have some scorching on it- so I am wondering where I might turn from here- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Help- I have a Coleman 105 spa. It has been working great, but the other night I was in it. All of the sudden there was a loud "POP" and the breaker blew. There was a burning electric smell-

I reset the breaker, the tub fired up, everything worked fine. The heat light came on so I thought I was in good shape. Wrong- the tub stared getting cooler and cooler. I removed the control panel cover and noticed some scorching on the right side terminal .

I figured the heater must haev gone bad and I ordered a new one. As soon as I installed it, filled the tub back up. Turned on the tub, everything fired up- but still no heater!

The block terminal that the heater hooks up to did have some scorching on it- so I am wondering where I might turn from here- any thoughts?

Thanks!

Probably a new circuit board is in order. If this is an older unit that uses relays and contactors, then you could possibly isolate the component and replace it.

Thanks!

Probably a new circuit board is in order. If this is an older unit that uses relays and contactors, then you could possibly isolate the component and replace it.

Thanks- I took a closer look last night. It seems that the entire post off of the circuit board on to the terminal block has competely vanished/ burned away. I think the whole board needs to be replace 51666.

Thanks!

Thanks!

Thanks- I took a closer look last night. It seems that the entire post off of the circuit board on to the terminal block has competely vanished/ burned away. I think the whole board needs to be replace 51666.

Thanks!

If you can give the serial number of the spa I can tell what PC board you will need. These were made just for coleman spas

• 1 month later...

Thanks!

Thanks!

If you can give the serial number of the spa I can tell what PC board you will need. These were made just for coleman spas

It seems mine has gone down the same road...same symptoms...where would one order the circuit board?

Thanks!

Thanks!

It seems mine has gone down the same road...same symptoms...where would one order the circuit board?

Be careful buying pc boards. Some are remanufactured. Some have a no return policy. Maax spas who used to build these spas only has a 90 day warranty on parts.

Your best bet and sometimes cheaper is replace the the whole spa pack. Balboa makes a nice VS pack which included a new box,heater, and control panel.

The 105 has only 1 pump so you could use a Balboa VS pack 54216. These boards will work on 110 or 230 volts and can run 115 or 230 volt pumps. It is a better control system than the one originally installed in the 105's

• 2 weeks later...