Scale?

Guest ajm

Jumped in tub and sides feel rough as does seats. Feels like fine grit sandpaper. Tub has been running all winter, although very little use during cold months. Filters changed, Natures 2 changed, etc. Is this rough surface coating scale and if so, how do I remove it?

Hello there...i have a Fiberglass Pool w/some light brown staining. I was told to use a Pool Stain Treat and that didn't work. Then the Pool Rep. from the local Pool Store adviced me to use a Scale Inhibitor (Bioguard) to keep metals off the walls of the shell, while adding a Total Alkanility Increaser. Also, the Scale Inhibitor will help remove staining and prevent scaling.

Well, now....the walls of the pool feel like sandpaper. However, that "grit" feeling will come off the pool walls, if i want to get inside the pool and hand wash the walls. Too cold for that right now!. However, i'm wondering if i have too many chemicals in my pool and it's causing some sort of scaling.

Also, i'm afraid to go back to the Pool Supply Store. Everytime they give me advice i get staining or something goes wrong. I just think the Bioguard product is too strong for my pool. I seem to have more problems when i use the product. I just hope i haven't caused damaged to my pool. Just want a nice soft white shell again. The pool is only 1 year old.

Please post if you get any info on the sandpaper texture in your spa. Thanks!

Your promblen is first with the pH level. High level will allow the calcium to go out of the water. and cause the scaling that your are talking about. BioGuard has the strongest scale inhibitor out there so its not "too strong" for your pool, its that you will use less and buy less over time and save you money. Get your Alkalinity in check first ( 80-120ppm ) and then your pH (7.2-7.6) and check it every week. USE the weekly dosage of the Scale Inhibitor and you will not have issues.

Linda, scaling is directly related to highly alkaline water, high water temps. and water hardness, it makes little sense to raise the TA to correct scaling. ajm, what ive found that works the best to remove scale is to lower the water temp, as low as possible, lower the ph/alkalinity, and use a mineral sequestering agent like spa defender (liesure time) in high doses and leave like that for a few days, it really helps to break up deposits so they clean easier. whatever you do, dont drain the spa and let it dry up with deposits on the surface, itll set up and cement itself to the shell. lower the water level a foot at a time, clean off the deposits, wash down and lower the water level again and continue this way until youre finished, tired, done, worn out, fed up, whatever. test the water twice a week, dont let the ph/ta get to high and you wont have any problems.

I am having the same problem as yourself. I have been informed to use a product that is by Spa Central called Stain & Scale. Supposedly, this product works without you having to drain the tub. They have informed me to use little by little until the scaling starts to break up with a slight scrub. I will let you know if this product really works. I was also informed not to drain tub with the scaling still there.

I hard the same problem, but I was told to use clorox about 1qt for ever 250 gals of water. I tryed it and it work great. you have to wate three or for day for the chlorine level to go down but it better then changing the water out of the tub, I also

started useing a product call Spa Magic and that has made thing better to I don't have all the testing of the water know more, and it last 3 months.

• 7 years later...