Big Vs. Small Tub

markley

Hi all. I am just looking for some seasoned hot tub owners opinions on larger vs. small tubs. I am looking to buy my first tub and am debating what size to get. I am almost sold on a Hydropool Model 4000, which is a small tub (3-4 person tub; probably only 2 person comfortably). I was quoted for at $5700 for this tub, and after looking around I see that I could get a larger tub (of a different brand) for around $5000. The majority of the time it will be just me and my girlfriend using it, but we ocasionally have small get togethers where it would be nice to be able to have more people enjoy the tub with us. While I don't really want to buy a larger tub just to accomodate friends, I am just looking for some opinions from those who maybe purchased a large tub, and wished they went smaller (or vice versa).

Thanks

Hi all. I am just looking for some seasoned hot tub owners opinions on larger vs. small tubs. I am looking to buy my first tub and am debating what size to get. I am almost sold on a Hydropool Model 4000, which is a small tub (3-4 person tub; probably only 2 person comfortably). I was quoted for at $5700 for this tub, and after looking around I see that I could get a larger tub (of a different brand) for around $5000. The majority of the time it will be just me and my girlfriend using it, but we ocasionally have small get togethers where it would be nice to be able to have more people enjoy the tub with us. While I don't really want to buy a larger tub just to accomodate friends, I am just looking for some opinions from those who maybe purchased a large tub, and wished they went smaller (or vice versa).

Thanks

We've had our spa for 2 years. It seats 6 and there have been a few times when we've had 6 people in it. But most of the time, it's just my husband and me. Even so, I'm really glad we got a large tub with different jet configurations in each seat. We can move from seat to seat while using the tub since some are better for massaging upper back & neck, lower back, etc.

Sandi

Thanks

We've had our spa for 2 years. It seats 6 and there have been a few times when we've had 6 people in it. But most of the time, it's just my husband and me. Even so, I'm really glad we got a large tub with different jet configurations in each seat. We can move from seat to seat while using the tub since some are better for massaging upper back & neck, lower back, etc.

Sandi

I am running a Jacuzzi J325, which is 4-5 person....4 comfortably. I got it a bit smaller to keep the parasitic users to a minimum. I dont mind my close friends using anything I have, but when there is a party.....seems like if there is room in a tub...more people get in.

With that said...it's a 4-5 person spa, but once a few drinks get involved and everyone's personal bubble gets much smaller....6-7 people have been in the tub.

I dont know if this helps....but I like my smaller tub.

While I don't really want to buy a larger tub just to accomodate friends, I am just looking for some opinions from those who maybe purchased a large tub, and wished they went smaller (or vice versa).

Thanks

This is how I'd calculate what works for our family assuming space isn’t limited.

1) When a spa is said to be a 5 person spa, it's really a 4 person at best IMO. A spa rated as a 6 person is really a 5 person and so on. Always adjust by 1 from the number they claim to get closer to reality. So if there are usually 3 people in the spa you at least need what they call a 4 person. If you're bigger type people, adjust by 2.

2) Once you have that figured out I personally would add yet another to that number because I REALLY prefer some space as I have no need to play footsies or apologize when I try to move and get in someone else's space.

We have five in our family but there are very rarely more than 4 in at a time so I'd use 4 as the max number of people using it at one time. Therefore, I would only consider spas at least known as 6 person units if we were getting a new one. Later when its just myself and the wife I could see getting a 4 person but would probably still get a 5 person. The other thing is, when the spas get smaller they usually get shallower and I like it fairly deep.

Even if I'm in alone or it's just myself and the wife I never think that the spa is too big even though we have a bigger spa. I gotta think those who regret not going bigger are more regretful than those who may think they could have gone smaller.

I'm going to second what spatech suggested. His advice here is exactly what I've found to be true even as a salesman. Everyone rates their spas based on how many actually seats there are. Just like auto manufacturers rate seating based on the number of seat belts. We all know it doesn't always work that way.

Of course anyone with teenagers knows there are commonly more teens in a care than seat belts, but that's another story.

If you want something to actually put 4 adults in, buy a 5 person rated spa. If you're not an "average sized adult" (whatever that may mean) you may want to alter that number accordingly. Let's face it, someone at 6'4" takes up more leg space than someone at 5'5". So you also need to keep that kind of stuff in mind.

Ultimately, take your whole family down and sit in the hot tub. Whether it's full of water, or empty just to get an idea on size. A lot of folks in my experience end up buying a size larger after they pile the family in and sit in the spa size they initially wanted.

My optima is rated at 6-7 people, but there's no way 6 or 7 full sized adults are going to sit comfortably. Maybe 6 thin teenagers, but that's about it. OTOH, my wife and I are larger people, and my family of 4 can sit comfortably any time.

The other thing to consider is the more people in the tub, the more water is displaced. I wish these tubs came with some sort of overflow chamber that would hold the excess water when the tub has more people, and push it back in when they get out. I don't like it when the water is up to the top of the filter cover.