Hot Tub Newbie Questions

apples

Hi!

We just bought a house with a tub outside. I am looking for some info on this.

Tub: HotSpring Highlife

Serial: K-421404

Can anyone tell me what year, other info on this?

The previous owner seems to have taken the filters with them.. It looks like there are spots for four of them. Where is a good place to pick these up? lots of places on line sell them, but which one to get?

The filter area cover is also missing. Are these available anywhere? That corner is pretty ugly without it.

I drained the tub last night after running some jet cleaner through it. It sits on a slight incline with the drain on the uphill side. i will soak the rest out with a sponge or something before we clean the shell. should i be worried about the angle? it sits about 1-2 inches higher on one side.

We are in MN. COOOLD winter. Is it easy to keep these hot and usable over the winter? i can just imagine the electrical bill..

Lots of questions. not sure if we will keep it but we decided to try it for a year and see how the cost/benefit equation works out.

Thanks in advance!

That should be a 1992 Hot Spring Highlife. Should not be very much to keep it heated through your winters. The Hot Spring Spas are pretty heavily insulated, so it'll retain it's heat pretty well. As far as filters go, those should be pretty easy to replace. If you have a Hot Spring dealer nearby, I'm sure they'll have some available.

If not, any spa dealer should be able to order some for you. The replacement part number you want is a Unicel C-6430, and you should have 4 of them in that spa I believe.

As far as the filter cover is concerned, you'll want to either contact your local Hot Spring dealer, or you can call Watkins Manufacturing (makers of Hot Spring) directly and ask about that. I know in some cases we have been able to get filter lids for customers. Though I'm not sure how readily available one is for a 1992.

Watkins Manufacturing

1-800-999-4688 X 8432

As far as your patio being off level. If you're 1 to 2 inches difference from one side of the spa to the other, I'd recommend having it leveled. Ultimately though, you'll just need to make sure your water levels are always high enough that they naturally spill into the filter compartment. All the water for filtration and heating purposes is pulled through that area.

Jerimiah,

Thanks for all the info. It looks like there is not a problem with the water getting to the filters, as the water level left by the previous owner was well over the ledge on the filter area. However, if i was to level the patio now while the tub is empty, can i tip it up on its side or something?

Do i have to do anything extra to run the tub during the winter?

Generally you can indeed place the spa up on it's side. However, with the wood siding be careful what it sits on. If the wood siding is in great shape it may not be a big deal. However if that wood siding is not in great shape, you could risk wood panels being damaged. We like to lay down a thick moving blanket, or cardboard or something just to keep from scratching up the side of the spa (especially the shell).

As far as the winter goes, we really haven't had any need to do anything with them. Just make sure you keep it full of water, and the power on. :)

*Importantly however, don't drain your spa in the winter months unless you intend to refill it immediately there after. Even leaving a spa overnight in sub-freezing temperatures can cause potential freeze damage to parts.