Electrical Wiring Of New Tub - Costs

mader

I've received two quotes in the Atlanta area to run a 240v circuit out to my hot tub. Both are $1k. This seems like a lot. Anyone know of a good electrician in Atlanta? What is a fair price?

Mark

If you have a circuit in your panel already that lowers the cost. mine was $500.00 total from the box to the tub 24 inches deep in trench with spa gfi box. hard piped and romex? soft caseing to make turns in hot tub and @ 45 feet of wire. I dug the trench and set the post for the spa box. no permit but done to code.

If you have a circuit in your panel already that lowers the cost. mine was $500.00 total from the box to the tub 24 inches deep in trench with spa gfi box. hard piped and romex? soft caseing to make turns in hot tub and @ 45 feet of wire. I dug the trench and set the post for the spa box. no permit but done to code.

thanks.....so it was $500 in materials, and you did the labor? if so, then I am really being charged $500 for labor...

My job was $740. It was a 240 volt / 60 amp line; GFCI breaker in the main panel, then about 70 ft of #6 copper wire through the attic, down into the basement, and out to the back patio to the disconnect. From there, about 15 ft of #8 wire to the tub via above-ground metal conduit.

I've received two quotes in the Atlanta area to run a 240v circuit out to my hot tub. Both are $1k. This seems like a lot. Anyone know of a good electrician in Atlanta? What is a fair price?

Mark

The price depends a lot on what the distances and obstacles are. Generally, though, I would expect that you would need a circuit breaker, wire, gfci disconnect, and any necessary conduit and fittings so the materials alone would probably run $400 or so, depending on how fancy you get. I used the GFCI with a separate relay like in this link:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant...uct_Code=BX8001

which costs $50 more than a standard gfci breaker but is worth it to me. I also used all-copper #6 wire instead of aluminum that some use and it had a better insulation on it. I also put in a second local grounding rod though it wasn't strictly required by the electrical code which lets you use only the ground to the main service panel and I used flexible seal-tite conduit to make the connections which costs a little more for fittings and such. All of my gold-plating might have added $200 to the cost. Probably your job would take an experienced electrician 4 to 8 hours depending on the distances, digging, and obstacles. So your price is probably okay. You've already done the best thing which is get more than one bid so that if someone is trying to pad the job, you will see it. The other thing is to be sure they are both providing the same thing. It would not be fair if one guy was providing copper wire (which is very expensive right now, maybe $1/ft for each conductor) and another was not.

The price depends a lot on what the distances and obstacles are. Generally, though, I would expect that you would need a circuit breaker, wire, gfci disconnect, and any necessary conduit and fittings so the materials alone would probably run $400 or so, depending on how fancy you get. I used the GFCI with a separate relay like in this link:

http://www.spadepot.com/Merchant2/merchant...uct_Code=BX8001

which costs $50 more than a standard gfci breaker but is worth it to me. I also used all-copper #6 wire instead of aluminum that some use and it had a better insulation on it. I also put in a second local grounding rod though it wasn't strictly required by the electrical code which lets you use only the ground to the main service panel and I used flexible seal-tite conduit to make the connections which costs a little more for fittings and such. All of my gold-plating might have added $200 to the cost. Probably your job would take an experienced electrician 4 to 8 hours depending on the distances, digging, and obstacles. So your price is probably okay. You've already done the best thing which is get more than one bid so that if someone is trying to pad the job, you will see it. The other thing is to be sure they are both providing the same thing. It would not be fair if one guy was providing copper wire (which is very expensive right now, maybe $1/ft for each conductor) and another was not.

I just got a third quote for $500....so 2 quotes at $1k and one for $500. The $500 quote was a recommendation from a friend, and also favorably reviewed on kudzu.com. I gave the same info to all companies, so not sure why one is half the price!

Mark

Mark,

Depending on how far you have to run to get to your tub and what material are required 1K might not be a bad deal at all. I know a good GFCI disconnect runs about $125 alone. You will need another breaker installed at the breaker box. I know that typically the trench would need to be 36 inches deep not 24 inches with no more than 360 degrees of bends total. The wiring must be stranded instead of romex or shielded in your conduit. A short waterproof flexible section is usually used to go from the hard conduit to the service connect on the tub. There are other requirements you need to be aware of as well, such as proximity of other electrical outlets or lights. They need to be greater than five feet from the tub. If you have a metal hose bib within five feet of the tub, you will need to run a ground wire from it to the tub. Often these electrical connections are best left to a professional. If I were you I would make sure whether you do it yourself or have a contractor do it get a permit and have it inspected. This will insure your safety and cover yourself in case an accident happens i.e. (fire) and your homeowners insurance gets involved.

24 inches is code where I live so it depends on your frost line and ordinaces

You are correct, I was mistaken thinking about service wiring for a house not in conduit, here that requirement is 36 inches. I stand corrected on this, 24 inches is code for buried conduit in a branch circuit where I live as well. Like was suggested check your local electrical code requirements as they may vary. NEC requirements are always the minimum allowed, sometimes local code requirements are more stringent. Always buy a permit and get the work inspected to cover yourself and insure your safety.

And to think I thought you worked for Costco, before you started doing this full time. How much do they pay you to be a full time poster here Pool & Spa, and what is the benefit package like? ......lol

I had to shatter my left wrist to get this"job"and I only moonlight as a paint company so while my employees are bussy painting I get to work for Hydrospa!! Pretty cool huh :lol:

I had to shatter my left wrist to get this"job"and I only moonlight as a paint company so while my employees are bussy painting I get to work for Hydrospa!! Pretty cool huh :lol:

How is the wrist healing? Hopefully pretty good so you will get back to work and have less time to post in here, Obviously your attempt to bombard this site has caused many of the old regulars to stop posting. It has been unfortunate for the rest of us who enjoyed learning about spas from some real experts instead of some whacked out guy who bought a Costco spa then instantly became a spa expert.

iit cost my about 600 bucks canadian for parts, i ran a 50 amp from the breaker, 45 feet # 6 to my gfi box (which locks) outside about 9 feet from the tub, then tech cable to the tub abouve ground.

tech cable is a wet rated wire rubber wrapped, with armour casing similar to bx wire, then outside is rubber wrapped again. thefactory hole into tub area, is 1 foot from my concret steps i use to get in, so about 1 foot is seen above ground, and you gotta look for it. tech cable is expensive, but it was fast and not much hard work. 1k doesnt seem too bad to have it done for you. that damn gfi is a lot for its size!

I am also curious as to a fair price for 220 service since I am upgrading from a 110 Prodigy to a 220 Envoy. Hot Spring gave me the "subpanel" with the breakers already inside as part of the deal on the new tub. Do the prices you are discussing assume the homeowner already has the subpanel? Does anyone know what the usual cost of this subpanel is if the dealer doesn't include it in the package?

I am also curious as to a fair price for 220 service since I am upgrading from a 110 Prodigy to a 220 Envoy. Hot Spring gave me the "subpanel" with the breakers already inside as part of the deal on the new tub. Do the prices you are discussing assume the homeowner already has the subpanel? Does anyone know what the usual cost of this subpanel is if the dealer doesn't include it in the package?

Depends on sub panel, I had one from Home Depot, 50 amp Cutler hammer spa gfi breaker and box. If you want 110 as well you can do that at the same time to....I saw more expensive spa subpanels for @150.00

And to think I thought you worked for Costco, before you started doing this full time. How much do they pay you to be a full time poster here Pool & Spa, and what is the benefit package like? ......lol

Paint is in commercial construction; maybe a general contractor or project manager (who cares) as you can read for yourself on his post in the thread, "Platinum Elite Control Console". And for those interested, watch for my response to his post to me on the hijacked (now closed) thread, "Lounger seat, football jets". I was busy over the weekend and today and therefore not able to respond fully to him I did not want his word to be the last on the subject since it really needs some correction and clarification. I will try and post tonight or tomorrow as business is hectic (and a school board meeting tonight).