No Vacuum Suction

Higgs

New pool. I lose suction quickly when I try to vacuum from the skimmer. After I backwash I am able to get about 5 minutes of decent pull to vacuum and then the returns (have 2) just go to nothing and it doesn't suck anymore. I was told that if I turn off one of the skimmers then the other one will have more power in order to vacuum but shutting off one of the skimmer valves only causes me to lose pressure.

Either way, I backwashed 4 times yesterday and makes me nervous that I am going to lessen the effectiveness of the sand filter (Pentair Triton 2). The filter is brand new so should I just keep backwashing and hope it works? Also, my pressure is about 25 psi normal (I think normal) and then it goes to 30 psi in a few minutes. Again, backwashing seems to clear it up for a few minutes but I can only vacuum for a short time before I need to backwash again.

help...

New pool. I lose suction quickly when I try to vacuum from the skimmer. After I backwash I am able to get about 5 minutes of decent pull to vacuum and then the returns (have 2) just go to nothing and it doesn't suck anymore. I was told that if I turn off one of the skimmers then the other one will have more power in order to vacuum but shutting off one of the skimmer valves only causes me to lose pressure.

Either way, I backwashed 4 times yesterday and makes me nervous that I am going to lessen the effectiveness of the sand filter (Pentair Triton 2). The filter is brand new so should I just keep backwashing and hope it works? Also, my pressure is about 25 psi normal (I think normal) and then it goes to 30 psi in a few minutes. Again, backwashing seems to clear it up for a few minutes but I can only vacuum for a short time before I need to backwash again.

help...

Sounds like your filter is short cycling. What size filter TR-60. 100 or 140? How old is the sand and just how much dirt is coming off of the bottom of the pool?

If the sand filter is brand new, you won't reduce the effectiveness by backwashing. If you have a lot of dirt/debris that you are trying to vacuum in, then it might clog quicker than regular. It sound like since you're getting some good suction at the beginning of the vacuum, you just have an awful lot of debris. Is it possible for you to vacuum to waste from a port at the pump?

If the sand filter is brand new, you won't reduce the effectiveness by backwashing. If you have a lot of dirt/debris that you are trying to vacuum in, then it might clog quicker than regular. It sound like since you're getting some good suction at the beginning of the vacuum, you just have an awful lot of debris. Is it possible for you to vacuum to waste from a port at the pump?

Thanks for the reply. I actually got it working ok but it seems to clog really fast when I vacuum. I have about 10 minutes worth of vacuuming after the filter is backwashed. I opened up the filter and it looks pretty clean (could see the sand). When I backwash I really don't have a lot of dirt so I am wondering if the filter is really working properly...?

What size filter do you have?

What size pump do you have?

If the filter was undersized, you will see short filter cycles, especially during vacuuming. Filters have design flow rates, as do pumps. If the pump is designed to move more water than the filter is designed to handle, this could be the root of the problem. 25 psi is higher than I would expect a properly sized system to run as "normal".

You haven't mentioned if you are vacuuming a large amount of debris. AZ is right. If your filter is on the small size it'll get dirtier faster. Actually, you shouldn't really be vacuuming anything other than dirt or fines for this reason. You should net out as much as you can first. Leave the small stuff for the vac.

• 2 weeks later...
You haven't mentioned if you are vacuuming a large amount of debris. AZ is right. If your filter is on the small size it'll get dirtier faster. Actually, you shouldn't really be vacuuming anything other than dirt or fines for this reason. You should net out as much as you can first. Leave the small stuff for the vac.

Thanks for the responses. I have a Pentair Triton 2 TR 140 sand filter. I am using an Intelliflo 3 hp pump. I did have quite a bit of dirt I was picking up so that makes sense that I would need to backflush more often. It still runs high 20's for "normal" psi. Only problems I am having now is that my suction seems to lose prime after about 20 minutes of cleaning. Once I backwash it runs great again for about the same amount of time. Strange thing is that the backwash really isn't getting rid of "dirty" water. Again, it seems like I am backwashing clean water but it pulls (prime) great right after I do so. The sand was put in Dec 08 and again this is the first time using it ever...

Maybe I still have some lingering clog in the filter. I read the manual for the Triton 2 Sand Filter but it doesn't really say what "vacuum to waste" does. I have it as an option on my multi-port valve coming off of the filter...

How long do you backwash? 2 mins? 5 mins? 10 mins? Are you 'rinsing' between backwashes? I switch between backwash and rinse in equal cycles about 5-6 times every time I actually backwash the filter. Seems to help out a lot.

You never said how dirty your pool was. I'd try to place the port in the "vacuum to waste" position instead of the normal "filter" position. This position is recommended when you have a lot of stuff to vacuum. You will be losing your pool water out the backwash hose, so add water to the pool while you are doing this. Also, you seemed on the fence regarding closing off one skimmer port or not -- I definitely get better suction when I close off one of the 2 skimmer ports (when I used to vacuum).

I hardly ever vacuum my pool using the hose/skimmer setup anymore. I hate it. I use a Polaris (the model that requires a 3/4 booster pump). It picks up everything. If you don't have an auto-cleaner, you should get one. Great investment.

RG