1996 Prodigy Leaking - Can't Find Leak Source

imnay

Hello All

We bought a 1996 Prodigy new and used it for about eight years of perfect operation but it started leaking a lot through the motor compartment - losing like eight to ten inches of water in a 10 hr. period so we figured we had a good time with it and drained it and unplugged it and meant to either get it fixed or get rid of it but time seems to pass quickly and it just sat there on our wood deck in a corner of our yard.

Last month my bride said it had to go or get repaired. I was for just tossing it but first I cleaned it (shell looks like brand new) and filled it and to my surprise the circulation pump worked and the main pump worked but no ozone and no heat and old cartridge heater was obviously leaking a lot so I figured that was the leak source all along and had Hot Springs make a repair call.

Great Tech! He replaced heater and ozonator and advised it so we had him also replace the circulation pump with everything in the flow chain replumbed.

THE PROBLEM is we still have a leak but a MUCH slower leak and after putting a grand into this repair visit we have decided to enjoy the spa while monitoring water level while we try to figure out how to get the leak fixed.

HERE ARE BASIS FOR OUR QUESTIONS AND THIS THREAD

The water appears to be entering the motor compartment through a hole with a flexible large "tube" that exits the back side of the Wavemaster pump and flexes into the spa via that hole. This hole is lower and to the left of the light lens cutout (looking into the motor compartment).

My suspicion is the leak is either the light cover (there is a visible crack in this but no water visible or able to be felt around the light) OR some seal in the "Adjustable JetStream jet" which is a large jet to the side of the light fixture that adjusts flow into the spa by rotating an outer ring either clockwise or counter clockwise.

The Hot Springs dealer (seem like good and knowledgable people) recommend first replacing the light lens to be sure the visible crack is not the leak source BUT THEN bringing in another spa repair vendor to begin removing foam insulation until leak is found and repaired - he has a great reputation and average bill is $300 to $400.

One - Is spending $180 to have the light lens replaced a good first repair attempt?

Two - Can the "Jetstream Jet" be repaired/resealed without going in from the bottom and ripping out insulation?

BOTTOM LINE is we paid about $5k when we bought this Prodigy and we have REALLY enjoyed using it these past few days and we really want it fixed and able to pay a reasonable amount to get the leak found and fixed.

Any suggestions for finding and repairing this leak WITHOUT ripping out all the insulation very, very much appreciated.

Jim

Hello All

We bought a 1996 Prodigy new and used it for about eight years of perfect operation but it started leaking a lot through the motor compartment - losing like eight to ten inches of water in a 10 hr. period so we figured we had a good time with it and drained it and unplugged it and meant to either get it fixed or get rid of it but time seems to pass quickly and it just sat there on our wood deck in a corner of our yard.

Last month my bride said it had to go or get repaired. I was for just tossing it but first I cleaned it (shell looks like brand new) and filled it and to my surprise the circulation pump worked and the main pump worked but no ozone and no heat and old cartridge heater was obviously leaking a lot so I figured that was the leak source all along and had Hot Springs make a repair call.

Great Tech! He replaced heater and ozonator and advised it so we had him also replace the circulation pump with everything in the flow chain replumbed.

THE PROBLEM is we still have a leak but a MUCH slower leak and after putting a grand into this repair visit we have decided to enjoy the spa while monitoring water level while we try to figure out how to get the leak fixed.

HERE ARE BASIS FOR OUR QUESTIONS AND THIS THREAD

The water appears to be entering the motor compartment through a hole with a flexible large "tube" that exits the back side of the Wavemaster pump and flexes into the spa via that hole. This hole is lower and to the left of the light lens cutout (looking into the motor compartment).

My suspicion is the leak is either the light cover (there is a visible crack in this but no water visible or able to be felt around the light) OR some seal in the "Adjustable JetStream jet" which is a large jet to the side of the light fixture that adjusts flow into the spa by rotating an outer ring either clockwise or counter clockwise.

The Hot Springs dealer (seem like good and knowledgable people) recommend first replacing the light lens to be sure the visible crack is not the leak source BUT THEN bringing in another spa repair vendor to begin removing foam insulation until leak is found and repaired - he has a great reputation and average bill is $300 to $400.

One - Is spending $180 to have the light lens replaced a good first repair attempt?

Two - Can the "Jetstream Jet" be repaired/resealed without going in from the bottom and ripping out insulation?

BOTTOM LINE is we paid about $5k when we bought this Prodigy and we have REALLY enjoyed using it these past few days and we really want it fixed and able to pay a reasonable amount to get the leak found and fixed.

Any suggestions for finding and repairing this leak WITHOUT ripping out all the insulation very, very much appreciated.

Jim

It won't be a problem with that jet unless it cracked from freezing while empty (and it had some water still in it) if you are in an area that freezes.

The light lens is definitely a common problem in that tub but you can normally see where the water is coming from if you look closely and use paper towels to see if they absorb water.

My bet would be to look for small cracks in the shell which will look like hairs around the light lens and the entire "step" area.

It won't be a problem with that jet unless it cracked from freezing while empty (and it had some water still in it) if you are in an area that freezes.

The light lens is definitely a common problem in that tub but you can normally see where the water is coming from if you look closely and use paper towels to see if they absorb water.

My bet would be to look for small cracks in the shell which will look like hairs around the light lens and the entire "step" area.

Hello Dan and thanks for the response and thought.

Wife and I have both tried to VERY carefully look for cracks all around that area - she used a magnifying glass.

Again, water is flowing in via the circular hole below and to the left of the light/lens.

Only reason I am suspicious of the lens or that jet is that they are the two lowest cuts in the shell and when the water drains below them the leak stops but leaks when water is below all of the other jets which are higher in the shell.

I hate to idea of someone having to rip out the foam insulation.