Advice Needed

Looks like some severe etching. Probably caused by lack of hardness in the water, the calcium was pulled out of the plaster. You may get away with an acid wash. I would try it before spending the money on a replaster. There are many folks with more chemistry experience than myself who will probably chime in. Give it a day or so in this forum.

Is the surface rough? If so, acid washing will only make it worse. You can try sanding with 120 wet dry sand paper (under water). Slow work though. Start with the seats. Thats where you will benefit the most (bathing suits).

Thanks for the advice.The surface of the pool is not rough in any area. We are just not sure if this is something we can "fix" ourselves or hire a professional.

Any other suggestions??

Looks like you have a gunite pool (same as mine), I have had a "blast" selecting contractors on the same project. (We have 18 by 40 pool with peeling off paint ) There were two types of quotes

- around 1100 for painting

- in tens of thousands for plastering ,

None of the respectable contractors will guarantee the work, because paint will NOT stick throughout the pool. I went along and hired the painting guy, who drained the pool , painted it and disappeared. When he finally came back (lost pool season) all the paint on the walls was bubbly, you could pop them and see old paint. At the end I did not pay him for work and by pool is freshly painted - while the paint is peeling off !

Thanks for the advice.The surface of the pool is not rough in any area. We are just not sure if this is something we can "fix" ourselves or hire a professional.

Any other suggestions??

If your pool is still smooth...

You can still try the sand paper to even out the appearance. I advise against an acid wash for three reasons:

1. The acid you use is considered Haz-mat. You can't legally put it anywhere in most places. You will probably use more than what the rest of the pool can take (adjusting Ph).

2. If you have never done this, It can get away from you real quick (etching) from which there is no return.

3. Its a toxic Chemical. Hand sanding is so much more healthier. Make an afternoon of it and invite your favorite beverage.

• 5 months later...

I would not recommend sanding the pebble tech. Plaster is a little more receptive to sanding than pebble tech is. Problem is plaster is smooth and the pebble is rougher and you cant sand it evenly. You may still have rust stains in the spaces between the pebbles cuz the rocks are harder than the plaster and wont sand down as easily as plaster. Also, If this is rust coming thru the pebble (re bar), you will have to chip out and make a repair.