Bromine Tablets Without Sodium Bromide

Hi Everyone,

I read in Waterbears guide that you should add sodium bromide on a fresh fill if using tablets in a feeder.

Sodium bromide seems to be difficult to come by in the UK and I cant find anywhere else telling you that you need to dose it before using tablets.

I understand that if you don't you are relying on the chlorine in the tabs for a short period but how long are we talking, days, weeks?

I have never added sodium bromide on start up with my current tub, I just open the tab feeder to full for the first couple of days and I have never had a problem.

Is this something I need to worry about?

Sodium bromide seems to be difficult to come by in the UK and I cant find anywhere else telling you that you need to dose it before using tablets.

I'm from Canada, but I also initially had some trouble finding plain sodium bromide. The problem is that it's almost always disguised by a silly name that some marketer came up with. Worsening the problem is that the people at the spa stores don't even know what's in the products that they sell. At best, they know what the product is used for, but have no idea about the chemistry behind it. While shopping around for NaBr and tablets, I talked to many spa stores. I found that I could ask about "Part 1" of their brand of 2-part or 3-part bromine systems, and have them check the label to see if the ingredient is sodium bromide. Also, I found that two major hardware stores also carry sodium bromide, but of course under a different name. Oddly, the hardware store prices were higher than some of the spa stores.

Many people also crush up some tablets at start up so you have the reserve. Just make sure you have a sanitizer reading before using the tub....also, it can take a week or more to dissolve enough bromine into the tub via a feeder depending on water temp/action.

Sodium bromide is also the salt they use for bromine generated salt systems if you can find that.