Dimension 1 Flow Alarm

screen showed flow alarm with 3 blinking lights. Removed filter elements, tried again , no difference. Cycled poer, no difference. Pulled panel and noticed that the circulation pump stays on for 15 seconds, and then shuts off for 5. Then repeats this cycle. Noticed the paddle on the flow sensor bouncing. Removed lead from flow sensor to the circuit board, and pump runs as normal.

So, I either have worn impellers on the circ pump, and not enough flow is being put out to keep the switch de-activated, or I have a worn paddle or spring (or something) on the flow switch.

Who's been there before?

Thanks / Mark

screen showed flow alarm with 3 blinking lights. Removed filter elements, tried again , no difference. Cycled poer, no difference. Pulled panel and noticed that the circulation pump stays on for 15 seconds, and then shuts off for 5. Then repeats this cycle. Noticed the paddle on the flow sensor bouncing. Removed lead from flow sensor to the circuit board, and pump runs as normal.

So, I either have worn impellers on the circ pump, and not enough flow is being put out to keep the switch de-activated, or I have a worn paddle or spring (or something) on the flow switch.

Who's been there before?

Thanks / Mark

You need a new flow switch

Testing the flow switch should be a piece of cake... Check it for continuity. Push the paddle together and see what the meter tells you. If it checks out fine, start looking at other possible low flow issues i.e. - dirty filters, weak circ. pump, clogged heater, clogged mazzei injector, etc.

Try unplugging the flow switch and the circulation pump should stop cycling, it will give you a flow issue that will show the flashing lights on the topside. There is a possiblity that there may be a flow issue, but the cycling of the ciirculation pump is definitley a flow switch.

The cycling of the circ. pump is part of programming that is triggered by the flow switch not sending the proper signal. It doesn't necessary means that the flow switch is the faulty part. However, I do see alot flow switches going bad though. But the test is easy to do to find out.

• 1 year later...

I have a 2002 Dimension One Chairman II spa. Just replaced the topside control and am getting the Flow Sensor Error message. Circ pump comes on for 10 sec, then off for 10 sec, on off, etc. Spa is not heating. Temp says 64 degrees. Filters are only a couple years old, just cleaned, no change after removing the filters for a while. Also tried turning power off for a half hour and then back on. No change.

I called the dealer and they suggested forcing water from a hose into the outboard bleeder valve (between the filters). No luck. They then suggested replacing the flow switch. Dealer at $35 was cheaper than on-line + shipping, and faster, so I went by and picked one up.

Just replaced the flow sensor switch. No luck. Assume I installed it correctly, can find no instructions anywhere. Installed so flow pushes the little paddle against the stationary shaft. Circ pump still cycles on/off every 10 sec. Can see through the clear coupling the little sensor arm closing with the shaft. Assume I'll have to bring out the service tech. But the next step is to probably replace the circ pump...which seems odd since it appears to be working. Since I get no heat, is it likely due to a protection feature and the system not working correctly, or due to the heater unit itself? Seems odd that the heater would go out just when the topside control stopped working. Sigh!

Based on comments above, I disconnected the flow sensor wire and tested it. Unlike comment above, when I unplug the sensor wire the pump continues running and the message changes to Low Flow, check filters. Tested the continuity and the flow closes the switch and I get 0 Ohms (fully closed circuit, no resistance). Looking at the old switch it had some buildup on both the paddle and the shaft. Scrapped it off and tested continuity on it and it goes to 0 when closed, so I probably didn't actually need a new switch. Reconnected the wire and now I get the flow sensor error, call for service message again and the pump cycles every 10 sec.

Any thoughts or do I shell out the big bucks for a truck roll?

I have a 2002 Dimension One Chairman II spa. Just replaced the topside control and am getting the Flow Sensor Error message. Circ pump comes on for 10 sec, then off for 10 sec, on off, etc. Spa is not heating. Temp says 64 degrees. Filters are only a couple years old, just cleaned, no change after removing the filters for a while. Also tried turning power off for a half hour and then back on. No change.

I called the dealer and they suggested forcing water from a hose into the outboard bleeder valve (between the filters). No luck. They then suggested replacing the flow switch. Dealer at $35 was cheaper than on-line + shipping, and faster, so I went by and picked one up.

Just replaced the flow sensor switch. No luck. Assume I installed it correctly, can find no instructions anywhere. Installed so flow pushes the little paddle against the stationary shaft. Circ pump still cycles on/off every 10 sec. Can see through the clear coupling the little sensor arm closing with the shaft. Assume I'll have to bring out the service tech. But the next step is to probably replace the circ pump...which seems odd since it appears to be working. Since I get no heat, is it likely due to a protection feature and the system not working correctly, or due to the heater unit itself? Seems odd that the heater would go out just when the topside control stopped working. Sigh!

Based on comments above, I disconnected the flow sensor wire and tested it. Unlike comment above, when I unplug the sensor wire the pump continues running and the message changes to Low Flow, check filters. Tested the continuity and the flow closes the switch and I get 0 Ohms (fully closed circuit, no resistance). Looking at the old switch it had some buildup on both the paddle and the shaft. Scrapped it off and tested continuity on it and it goes to 0 when closed, so I probably didn't actually need a new switch. Reconnected the wire and now I get the flow sensor error, call for service message again and the pump cycles every 10 sec.

Any thoughts or do I shell out the big bucks for a truck roll?

I would recommend calling the D1 Tech Department, try to call when you are next to the spa. You can call M-F 7am to 4pm PST and one of our Technicians will be happy to assist you in figuring out the issue. I can tell you that it doesn't sound anything like a pump or heater issue, it is likely a flow switch issue and should be easy to confirm.