La Z Boy Spa Question/help

grumlenz

Hello, I am brand new to the hot tub scene. I am able to pick up the La Z Boy Limited model for about $4000 shipped and setup. I realize that the manufacturer (Tatum/Living Water) has gone out of business. It's hard to find many reviews regarding their products. I can only find vague things like "they are not good". Does anybody have any input or suggestion. This is about all I have to spend and this has many more features than other similarly priced ones I have found. I realize there is really no warranty, but these seem to be pretty easy to "do-it-yourself" service should something go wrong. I appreciate any input or thoughts. Thanks!

"they are not good".

This statement is not true!

They are exactly what they are, an inexpensive tub built inexpensivly that will last as long as any other inexpensive tub, consume as much power, and fall apart just as fast. If you want a tub that will last 15-20 years, this is not it, maybe 5-6. If you want a tub that will be ver energy effiecient, this is not that either. And obviously you won't have any support but that don't seem to matter to you. After all it's just plumbing and not brainsurgery. Most of those cheap jets, pumps, controls and knobs are all available from a big thick book. Your local guy can help you get those in a few years when yours break, no sweat.

I prefer Great Lakes, Viking, D1@Home, and Marquis Everyday line of inexpensive tubs.

Does anybody have any input or suggestion. This is about all I have to spend and this has many more features than other similarly priced ones I have found. I realize there is really no warranty, but these seem to be pretty easy to "do-it-yourself" service should something go wrong. I appreciate any input or thoughts. Thanks!

It may have some of the features you want but it is missing three important features: quality, energy efficiency and warranty. Even if you're a DIYer I'd advise you to move on to something else. If you really can't afford to spend more than $4k then I'd set aside the $4k you have ready for this spa and add to it the $100 a month is would cost to run that energy hog you're considering and wait to find a good used one on Craiglist or until you have a little more saved for a well made spa.

Hello, I am brand new to the hot tub scene. I am able to pick up the La Z Boy Limited model for about $4000 shipped and setup. I realize that the manufacturer (Tatum/Living Water) has gone out of business. It's hard to find many reviews regarding their products. I can only find vague things like "they are not good". Does anybody have any input or suggestion. This is about all I have to spend and this has many more features than other similarly priced ones I have found. I realize there is really no warranty, but these seem to be pretty easy to "do-it-yourself" service should something go wrong. I appreciate any input or thoughts. Thanks!

It may be easy to repair some of the stuff, but with no warrenty it could cost big $$$ if you receive it and the control system or such is bad. As said, the other comapnies have quality tubs at prices very close to what you are looking at. Like Roger said, Great Lakes has some attrative pricing on their round tubs and Clearwater has added a new line called the XS series that are priced smart. Good luck in your search.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like I may be better off saving up some more money and buying better. In general what should a "good" hot tub cost to run each month? It sounds like this La Z Boy may not be as well insulated and may be around $100? I live in Colorado. Thanks everyone for your replies. I will continue to check craigslist. That's actually where I found this one! I also found out that the electronics are made by Gecko (is that good or bad?) and have a 27 month warranty. Sounds like that would be the only thing covered. The dealer also guarantees the full tub for 30 days.

Thanks everyone for your replies. It sounds like I may be better off saving up some more money and buying better. In general what should a "good" hot tub cost to run each month? It sounds like this La Z Boy may not be as well insulated and may be around $100? I live in Colorado. Thanks everyone for your replies. I will continue to check craigslist. That's actually where I found this one! I also found out that the electronics are made by Gecko (is that good or bad?) and have a 27 month warranty. Sounds like that would be the only thing covered. The dealer also guarantees the full tub for 30 days.

1) A well instated tub should cost half of that $100 I estimated the LaZBuilt spa would cost (and $100 may be an underestimate)

2) The spa comes with no warranty. You MAY be able to get a warranty on the Gecko parts separately but their warranty started the day they delivered them to the manufacturer, not 27 months from when you owned it. who knows how long the parts sat with the manufacturer, then how long the spa sat with them, then how long it sat with the dealer, etc.

3) The dealer guarantees it 30 days because that's about as long as he's willing to go. A buddy of mine owns a dealership that makes a well known, premium spa (brand not important to the point). When he takes USED spas as trade ins (he only takes in his brand, other brands he won't give $ in trade but will haul to the dump) he has his tech go over it thoroughly and resells it with a 1 year store warranty because he knows it should last that long. That 30 day warranty is better than nothing but not by much.

Get a well made spa.

What other brands does this place carry? Are they a spa dealer or a retailer of other items that also had spas. I don't think the La-Z-Boy brand was embraced by dealers well since it was made by Tatum and appeared to be earmarked for the mass-merchant channel. The reason I ask is that a spa dealer would probably help you out down the road. But some of these retailers that Tatum hooked up with over the years were only looking to peddle the tub and offered absolutely no other spa services. If the latter describes the outfit trying to sell you this tub, I wouldn't buy a tub made by a defunct manufacturer with no warranty. Also keep in mind that Gecko is covering those parts from date of manufacture, not date of spa sale. If the parts were on the shelf at Tatum for any amount of time, your warranty is not 27 months.