D1 Lotus Bay, Major Problems

In December of 2008 I purchased a D1 spa after doing what I thought was very thorough research. I had heard all of the horror stories and probable service issues that cheap hot tubs could have and was convinced to spend almost $10,000, double my initial budget. Maybe too good of a deal since the spa retails for $14000. Being in the service industry I will not bash D1 as my dealer is awesome, they just keep repairing and replacing promptly. However, I have lost my patience, just over a year of ownership and I have had 10-14 repairs. This hot tub has turned into a second job of follow-up and phone calls, very little usuage and enjoyment.

The intial Setup resulted in a leak, and bad LCD display. So there was no way to operate the unit. This was not a suprise as a D1 tech warned me of the LCD issue and that it might need replacing. D1 was aware of this issue and had reported fixing it.

I am on my 4th or 5th display at this point, two leaks, one major leak, two circuit boards, yeah one actually caught on fire with my family in the tub. We smelt burning wires and saw smoke coming from the front of the hot-tub.... Need I say more, yesterday I decided it was a very nice day and time to drain the spa for cleaning. During this time I noticed that the "magnetic" in spa sensors that allow you to operate the hot-tub from within had totally deteriated in two seats. Yet the others are perfectly in tact. This was bought to de-stress my life, not add more. My dealer just keeps fixing, but what is one to do when they can rarely enjoy their purchase? I believe D1 owes me at least a new unit. Thoughts or Suggestions?

In December of 2008 I purchased a D1 spa after doing what I thought was very thorough research. I had heard all of the horror stories and probable service issues that cheap hot tubs could have and was convinced to spend almost $10,000, double my initial budget. Maybe too good of a deal since the spa retails for $14000. Being in the service industry I will not bash D1 as my dealer is awesome, they just keep repairing and replacing promptly. However, I have lost my patience, just over a year of ownership and I have had 10-14 repairs. This hot tub has turned into a second job of follow-up and phone calls, very little usuage and enjoyment.

The intial Setup resulted in a leak, and bad LCD display. So there was no way to operate the unit. This was not a suprise as a D1 tech warned me of the LCD issue and that it might need replacing. D1 was aware of this issue and had reported fixing it.

I am on my 4th or 5th display at this point, two leaks, one major leak, two circuit boards, yeah one actually caught on fire with my family in the tub. We smelt burning wires and saw smoke coming from the front of the hot-tub.... Need I say more, yesterday I decided it was a very nice day and time to drain the spa for cleaning. During this time I noticed that the "magnetic" in spa sensors that allow you to operate the hot-tub from within had totally deteriated in two seats. Yet the others are perfectly in tact. This was bought to de-stress my life, not add more. My dealer just keeps fixing, but what is one to do when they can rarely enjoy their purchase? I believe D1 owes me at least a new unit. Thoughts or Suggestions?

I would discuss with your dealer about getting it replaced. If that seems to not work inform him that you hiring a lawyer and talk directly to D1.

Mr. Davis,

My name is Dennis Porter and I work in the technical support department at D1 spas, I would like to assist you in resolving your issue, unfortunatley we do not have a contact phone number on file for you. Please feel free to contact me directly at (800) 345-7727 to discuss what we can do to resolve the matter.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Dennis Porter

Technical Support

D1 Spas.

• 3 weeks later...
Mr. Davis,

My name is Dennis Porter and I work in the technical support department at D1 spas, I would like to assist you in resolving your issue, unfortunatley we do not have a contact phone number on file for you. Please feel free to contact me directly at (800) 345-7727 to discuss what we can do to resolve the matter.

Looking forward to hearing from you,

Dennis Porter

Technical Support

D1 Spas.

Dennis This phone number takes me to a generic message machine and I left one last week with no returned call.

• 2 months later...

I purchased a Lotus Bay in September of 2008. My display leaked and stopped working and it was replaced (my delear also said this is a common problem). Then the underwater switches disolved and they have been replaced. Both my filter cartridges have cracked and I have spent $140 to replace both of them. Now the ozinator has died and I am waiting for that to be replaced. The only three cushions that are glued to the hot tub are disolving and I am paying to replace those. Everytime I drain the hot tub and refill it the fountain will not work unless I detach the hose from the pump and reattach it (my dealer also said this is a common problem). My dealer, who has replaced and is replacing the broken parts under warrenty, was quick to remind me that my warrenty will expire on September 19th. I did considerable research and spent over $12,000 on the tub. I am also wondering if it is a lemmon.

I am using the strips recommended by the dealer and according to them the water chemistry is fine. The dealer does not seem to be able to explain how to use the spa guard chemicals with the ozinator and the vision cartridge that is in my hot tub. All I am doing is following the spa guard direction and tips I pick up on the internet

All that being said the dealer has been helpful, polite, and responsive to fixing the problems but with ALL the problems that have occured within the first 10 months of ownership I am extremly worried about this pattern continueing after the warrenty expires.

I feel your pain and have many of the same concerns. While I love the tub I did not expect all these problems for the $$ I spent

I purchased a Lotus Bay in September of 2008. My display leaked and stopped working and it was replaced (my delear also said this is a common problem). Then the underwater switches disolved and they have been replaced. Both my filter cartridges have cracked and I have spent $140 to replace both of them. Now the ozinator has died and I am waiting for that to be replaced. The only three cushions that are glued to the hot tub are disolving and I am paying to replace those. Everytime I drain the hot tub and refill it the fountain will not work unless I detach the hose from the pump and reattach it (my dealer also said this is a common problem). My dealer, who has replaced and is replacing the broken parts under warrenty, was quick to remind me that my warrenty will expire on September 19th. I did considerable research and spent over $12,000 on the tub. I am also wondering if it is a lemmon.

I am using the strips recommended by the dealer and according to them the water chemistry is fine. The dealer does not seem to be able to explain how to use the spa guard chemicals with the ozinator and the vision cartridge that is in my hot tub. All I am doing is following the spa guard direction and tips I pick up on the internet

All that being said the dealer has been helpful, polite, and responsive to fixing the problems but with ALL the problems that have occured within the first 10 months of ownership I am extremly worried about this pattern continueing after the warrenty expires.

I feel your pain and have many of the same concerns. While I love the tub I did not expect all these problems for the $$ I spent

Dave the warranty on a Lotus Bay is 5 years, your parts and labor warranty is good until 2013, I don't know why they would advise you otherwise. I would love to help you adress the issue you are having, or at least help you to avoid these in the future. Some of these issue could be related to the water chemistry or someother factor. If you would like to shoot me a PM with your contact information, I will see what I can do to help.

Best regards,

Dennis Porter

D1 Technical Support Dept.

• 4 weeks later...

Shortly after posting my concerns about my D1 Lotus Bay Hot Tub, Dennis Porter, from D1 contacted me about my hot tub issues. We have exchanged several emails and phone calls. He listened to my concerns and has addressed everyone of them. He has helped me work with my hot tub dealer and has been great about helping me resolve all the problems. When the problem has been the dealer, Dennis and D1 stepped in and solved my problems.

The customer service that Dennis has provided has been truly outstanding. I now feel pretty good about D1 as a company. They are really standing behind their product and have done a great job at making me feel like a valued customer. If anyone ever has a question or issue with their D1 tub a highly recommend getting in touch with Dennis. He has been extremely helpful.

I think of myself as a stand up guy, I complained in public and D1 addressed all of my concerns so it ismy turn to publicly praise D1 and Dennis. I truly appreciate all that he has done to make me a happy D1 customer.

Shortly after posting my concerns about my D1 Lotus Bay Hot Tub, Dennis Porter, from D1 contacted me about my hot tub issues. We have exchanged several emails and phone calls. He listened to my concerns and has addressed everyone of them. He has helped me work with my hot tub dealer and has been great about helping me resolve all the problems. When the problem has been the dealer, Dennis and D1 stepped in and solved my problems.

The customer service that Dennis has provided has been truly outstanding. I now feel pretty good about D1 as a company. They are really standing behind their product and have done a great job at making me feel like a valued customer. If anyone ever has a question or issue with their D1 tub a highly recommend getting in touch with Dennis. He has been extremely helpful.

I think of myself as a stand up guy, I complained in public and D1 addressed all of my concerns so it ismy turn to publicly praise D1 and Dennis. I truly appreciate all that he has done to make me a happy D1 customer.

Thank you David, it is nice to be able to a help out when ever possible. D1 Management has alway encouraged our team to interact in what ever way possible. When we can help we do, please keep me posted if you need further assistance.

Again I appreciate the good feedback..!

Dennis

• 4 years later...

I have had every problem you two have listed with my D1 Lotus Bay spa. I bought mine in 2006. My dealer unfortunately went out of business. D1 is excellent, until the warranty runs out! The control panel failed 4 times because of a water intrusion defect, and they replaced it until the warranty ran out. Now I will have to buy and install the $500 unit myself each year when it malfunctions. I was told the last time they replaced the control panel, that they had fixed the problem. The new "fixed" one they sent me not only has the water intrusion, but there is now nothing showing on the display so i cannot even set the temperature.

I too have the fountain issue. Every time I refill the tub the fountain stops working and then eventually starts up again (A month or so later). The underwater control buttons have crumbled so many times I no longer replace them. The pillows also crumbled each time I replaced them (At a cost to me since it is blamed on my spas" chemistry"). I finally stopped replacing them. I always check my water chemistry and I follow their guidelines and the crumbling continued This is only a sample of issues I have had. The clincher is the drain guard that breaks easily. They discontinued the part, and they have run out of replacements, so at this point using the tub is dangerous I asked the service tech what to do since it is dangerous to operate without the drain covers, and he just replied "sorry, we do not make those anymore". So a "Lifetime" shell becomes pointless in a tub that is useable for such a short period of time.

As far as the Ozone part, from what I have been told, they need to replaced every year or two, so I consider that standard maintenance. (Something to consider in terms of operating costs since they are expensive). During warranty, D1 did help some of my concerns, but after the warranty time period, I am stuck with a huge spa that will cost a lot of money to remove. The D1 management seems to encourage interaction until the warranty runs out.

Hello sunsouder, I'm sorry to hear you have had some issues with your spa over the years, D1 has been a very honorable in addressing these issue with topside controls and they have gone above an beyond in most cases. Water chemistry is a big part of damage caused to pillows and other rubber components in hot tubs, you will find this to be the case with any manufacturer. If you replace the topside on your own, you will be paying nowhere near $500.00 and if you call me I can get it to you much cheaper. Please give me a call at (866) 418-1840 and I will be glad to assist you. I have worked on D1 product for years and would be glad to offer any assistance i can.

Regards,

D1dennis2009

• 11 months later...

Interesting topic. I have NOT had a similar experience. I bought my Lotus Bay in June of 2008. Here are my repairs:

- Spa cover. I replaced it with a OEM cover after 3 years due to water-logging. No problem since

- LED lights due to corroded connectors. Replaced at about 4 years. No problem since

- Control display. Replaced at about 4 years due to fogging. No problem since.

- Head rests. I am going to replace them this years as they have finally begun to deteriorate

- Fountain bezel. I will replace it this year as the cracks around the screws have gotten pretty bad.

- Magnetic switch buttons. The rubber has finally deteriorated enough that I will replace them this year.

Other than the above, I have had no problems. I have been pretty happy as I run it year-round - even in sub-zero weather.

Thanks D1 !